General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Greasing bushings & changing rear end fluid

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 02:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Greasing bushings & changing rear end fluid

I noticed that I have some seepage around my rear end cover and I'm wondering if it could be the gasket. I have never changed the rear end fluid either so what kind should I use? I read that a few people recommended Royal Purple, but exactly what kind? Also, when I look directly at my car from the back it seems like the driver side rear tire sticks out more than the passenger side. Is it supposed to look like that?

How do I re-grease my bushings and what do I use to re-grease them? I often hear some squeaks. I'll try to take a few pics tomorrow and post them up.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It may not be your gasket. It may be your pinion seal - common problem with f-bodies.

I used GM 75W-90 gear fluid with posi additive. I think your tire offset is an optical elusion.

The only way to really regrease bushings is to remove them, grease the bushing & mount, and reinstall.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is really only two things that can leak.. your diff cover gasket, and the pinion seal, where exactly is the leak coming from if you can tell??

I also used 75W90, but it was mobil 1

your car is probably sagging because a shock is bad on one side
Old 04-28-2009, 09:38 AM
TECH Junkie

The tire offset is a very common problem with fbodies. Go to http://www.bmrfabrication.com/instructions.htm and select one of their panhard bars. Check using their step 5, which checks the centering left to right. If it is off center, you need an adjustable panhard bar to fix. Mine was off by 13/16" from the factory.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
The tire offset is a very common problem with fbodies. Go to http://www.bmrfabrication.com/instructions.htm and select one of their panhard bars. Check using their step 5, which checks the centering left to right. If it is off center, you need an adjustable panhard bar to fix. Mine was off by 13/16" from the factory.
yeah, woops, i read that as one side is lower than the other
Old 04-28-2009, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll take a few pics and post them in about an hour. If it is my pinion seal how can I fix this?
Old 04-28-2009, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This will help.