Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True-Duals Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 09:36 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True-Duals Question

I am strongly considering true-dual exhaust and having it dump at the rear axle. My question is, will it be too loud to enjoy a long ride? I want my car to stay a daily driver. I am also considering high-flow cats to help quiet down the exhaust as well. Does anyone know where I can get a good, affordable set from? Any advice and input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Engine Specs:
6.0 Iron Block (LQ4)
Forged Piston Rods
CNC Ported 317 Heads
Ported LS2 Intake (may upgrade to the FAST LSX Intake)
Long-Tube Headers
SLP Cold Air Intake
Old 04-28-2009, 09:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

IDK if you are 6 speed or Auto, but that has alot to do with it being livable. My car is M6 and its very liveable. However after abot 2000 rmps it becomes quite loud very quickly. But i can cruise down the highway in 6th gear and only turn 1800 rpms so its not that bad at all.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:44 AM
Staging Lane

Wells it's A4, so it's probably going to be too loud.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any ride on the highway over 1 hour with dumped duals started to give me a headache...now with it over the axle its way more liveable
Old 04-28-2009, 10:10 AM
TECH Junkie

all depends on the mufflers.

my duals with maganflow 4x9s are VERY easy on the ears on the highway. although i generally have the windows down, not sure if that makes it better or worse.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

See i could easily drive my car on a long trip the way it is. But A4 i think would be out of the question
Old 04-28-2009, 11:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have TD's with bullets dumped towards the ground. With a 6 speed, it's not too bad cruising. However, it is EXTREMELY loud with LT's and a TQR V2 cam.

Don't expect to get by any cops without grabbing their attention. I wasn't even on the gas and got pulled over and ticketed in Virginia because of how loud my exhaust is. I got an equipment violation ticket.

If I had to do over again I'd either have kept the y pipe setup and gotten a catback that I like or gotten Bassani duals or gone with a custom over the axle dual setup.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:58 AM
12 Second Club

my car is quiet, just as quiet as my ypipe setup with a catback out the back.

if you put cats in your car it will be fine. i have cats and a straight through bullet (its not even a muffler, it just changes the sound) and i absolutely love it.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im running full size dynomax proflo mufflers on mine, dumped and its about as loud at all RPM's as my old magnaflow catback was.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have true duals with full size dynomax ultraflows dumped at the axle, and its not loud at all....can cruise around without getting annoyed even on long trips. I don't believe its any louder then my friends bolt on car with LT's/ory and magnaflow catback. To me this was the best sacrifice, my car is low and i lost a fair amount of ground clearance...but its nice a deep sound and they flow great. With bullets on the car, it was super loud and just one more reason that the police liked to pull me over. Me and a friend fabbed my setup, but if i was to try and buy a setup the bassani although a bit steep in price is an Awesome design.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hell section the floor pan under the back seats-youll have plenty of room. I actually have more room now than I did with a y pipe setup.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have an a4, 3800 stall with duals dumped before the axle and i would have to say its fine driving it around, the only time it gets loud is if i have to get on it a little to get up a hill or something like that. I have single chambers though, they tend to be a little quiet compared to bullet style mufflers, atleast ithink so.

I just came back from a 2 hr cruise where i was between 2000-2500rpms on the highway and the sound is amazing, i didnt get sick of it for one second, and on top of that my interior is gutted out back.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by rdemarce
I am strongly considering true-dual exhaust and having it dump at the rear axle. My question is, will it be too loud to enjoy a long ride? I want my car to stay a daily driver. I am also considering high-flow cats to help quiet down the exhaust as well. Does anyone know where I can get a good, affordable set from? Any advice and input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Engine Specs:
6.0 Iron Block (LQ4)
Forged Piston Rods
CNC Ported 317 Heads
Ported LS2 Intake (may upgrade to the FAST LSX Intake)
Long-Tube Headers
SLP Cold Air Intake
Any place that pushes a system by volume isnt a place you want to deal with. All good fitting dual systems are going to be custom. With that said, there's a guy down in DFW I hear that builds a sweet setup.

For quietness, I'd go with a 5" round Magnflow race muffler and massage the rear seat pan a hair to fit them. There's many small tricks you can do to fit duals under these cars, but most massed produced stuff doesnt take into account these little tricks. Its what makes fitment and tucking exhaust on these cars easy.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a 99 trans am m6 with headers and 3 in exhaust dumped before the rear axle with NO mufflers. It is loud but i think liveable.. But that is just me. BTW i drive at least 200 miles on the highway a week.