Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clicking noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Clicking noise

I've had my car for about 8 months now and everytime i go from park to reverse or from park to drive or from revers to park and vice versa i get a clicking noise. My transmission still shifts smooth and firm, but the clicking noise is bothering me. I was told that it might be the U-joint having some play, but i've also heard it could be the transfer case or the rear end goin. I hope it's not the rear end or transfer case though. What does anyone think it could be?

P.S. it will also sometimes do it when i accelerate from a stop or let off after accelerating.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like a bad u joint more than the other two cheaper than the other two also so try the simple things first.
Dan-
Old 04-28-2009, 05:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the advice man, but yea i was going to start with the u-joint first since it is the cheapest, but just wanted to get some advice from the knowledgable people on ls1tech first
Old 04-28-2009, 08:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where can you get a u joint besides the dealership?
Old 04-29-2009, 09:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My WS6 did the same thing. Replaced u-joints, torque arm mount, everything I could think of. The problem ended up being the driveshaft itself. It was flexing a little bit every time I would put a light load on it (going into gear, accelerating from a stop, etc) and it would make a sound exactly like what you're describing. Fixed the problem by replacing the factory aluminum driveshaft with a steel one from a Z28. It's a little heavier and thus more rotating mass, but the minimal performance hit was WELL worth it to get rid of the obnoxious sound.