Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Odd A4 dyno graph - any guesses as to the problem?

Old 04-28-2009, 06:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd A4 dyno graph - any guesses as to the problem?

Had my car dynoed at a dyno day over the weekend and ended up with a really strange graph.

The shop seemed to think the transmission was slipping. However, I had it dynoed and tuned by a different shop last week on a hub-type dyno and got a normal looking graph. I also haven't noticed any signs of slipping. The fluid still looks and smells new (changed a few months ago) and I haven't noticed any RPM freakouts.

Mods include a Vigilante 3200, TR224, JBA shorties, cat back, underdrive pulley.

Anyone make anything of this dyno graph? Was the pull done incorrectly? I don't know what gear he did it in and wasn't paying close enough attention to notice any abnormalities.

Weird graph (dynoed unlocked on a DynoJet):

Normal graph (dynoed locked a week prior on a Dynapack):
Attached Thumbnails Odd A4 dyno graph - any guesses as to the problem?-dynapack_locked.jpg   Odd A4 dyno graph - any guesses as to the problem?-broken.jpg  
Old 04-28-2009, 08:28 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like a normal unlocked converter dyno run.Ussually unlocked you want the graph printed in MPH instead of rpm.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Could the tires have been slipping on the rollers?
Old 04-28-2009, 11:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Looks like a normal unlocked converter dyno run.Ussually unlocked you want the graph printed in MPH instead of rpm.
Ah, that makes the most sense out of anything I've heard yet. It's also the kind of news I like to hear Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but the HP numbers are in the ballpark for locked (347hp) vs unlocked (336hp).

I suppose it could have been tires slipping on the rollers, but my car isn't exactly a powerhouse and they did pulls with cars in the 500+ hp range that day. They primarily dynoed M6s, and did three A4s. Mine was the only one with a stall so it's looking like the dyno graph view might be the issue.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:29 AM
T.A.WS6

agree!

Search this Thread