General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

I have a question please help car has trouble starting "Sometimes"

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 09:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a question please help car has trouble starting "Sometimes"

Hey everyone!!! I haven't been on here in long while.... I need some help with my car!!!
Ok here is my dilemma I have a 00SS that has been sitting for almost a year. I would start it every once and while. The other day I took the car for a road trip and had some issues with starting the car up. I had no battery life and when it finally turned on there was an lope almost as if I had a cam in the car. I have not changed out the spark plugs or wires in a very long time. Im going to take it to have a tuneup next week. My question is what could be the problem first off? Second what spark plugs and wires are the best for a car with 90,000 miles. The only 3 things that I think of that could be the problem is with the wiring in the car is going bad because the lights flicker when the car is idle. Or there is too much battery acid on my battery. Or The spark plugs and wires are old.

Im worried that if I drive the car for a long period of time and something happens to where the car goes dead. Then that could be a major problem driving without power steering or lights at night.

Any Info would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 04-28-2009, 09:18 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like you have a bad battery or failing alternator. Take the car to an Advance Auto or PepBoys, let them do a free check of the battery and alternator.

Check all the terminals for corrosion build-up too.

Just put in NGK TR55 or TR5 spark plugs gapped to .050. Also, the $36.00 set of new wires that Advance Auto sells are just as good as factory LS1 plugs.

Whatever you do......don't pay too much to get the spark plugs changed. You could do it yourslef, which is a bitch the first time. But man, someone who knows what they're doing can have them all done in 1-2 hour's or so. So just don't get ripped off. Tell them to shove their labor book up their "beep". And don't let anyone tell you that you need dealership wires, they lie. Just get the $36.00 wires.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by quino00ss
Im worried that if I drive the car for a long period of time and something happens to where the car goes dead. Then that could be a major problem driving without power steering or lights at night.
Also, when your battery dies the engine will still run if the alternator is ok. Until you shut down of course, then you can't get started again. When the alternator fails while driving, you will be able to keep driving until the battery finally dies, which for me once was about 15 minutes after I had a guy jump start me so I could get home. It started to sputter as I turned down my street. And that was with a half *** charge, so probably more like 30 minutes with a full charge, but whatever.

Also, when you lose electrical power, it has nothing to do with the power steering. If the engine is turning, you have power steering. But the lights will slowly start to dim over time if the alternator fails while driving at night.

Go get the FREE check....you may just need to simply buy a battery or an alternator.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a new battery and I did have alternator check at Autozone.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by quino00ss
It is a new battery and I did have alternator check at Autozone.
Then definitely change the wires and plugs.

Im guessing you checked the wires were clean of corrosion when you replaced the battery?????????

I'd also change the fuel filter....yourself. 5 minute job and about $15.00.

But FIRST, run an entire can of Sea Foam through a HALF tank of gas to clean your fuel injectors. THEN...do the fuel filter right after.

Clean your MAF and IAT sensors with MAF cleaner spray.