Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

The real deal on STS and headers

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 02:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The real deal on STS and headers

I have a STS turbo kit and have a 244/242 cam with hooker 1 7/8 inch hooker headers and a FAST 90/90 intake manifold. 36 lb injectors and I am getting the race tronics fuel pump... I am not going to remove my headers, but the headers are ceramic coated which i heard helps keep heat in... What kind of difference would I see if I did not go with the stock manifolds and such... I mean the heat at the end of my catback is hotter than a stock ls1s system... verified by a thermometer...
Old 04-29-2009, 07:43 AM
11 Second Club

It will spool slower. It's been proven time and time and time again. When 900+rwhp guys are running manifolds, it's proven not to be a restriction. STS, or any rear mount turbo system, really seems to like defying the rules on how to make power.

You need more injector and fuel as well.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:33 PM
11 Second Club

how much slower?
Old 04-29-2009, 03:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brianfromhawaii
how much slower?
Run the headers then swap back to stock manifolds, you'll see.

Besides, it's fun to do things twice.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Arent those injectors a little small?
Old 05-02-2009, 03:55 AM
11 Second Club

i guess they are a little small, although at 58 psi instead of 43 psi they are 42lb/hour injectors...
Old 05-02-2009, 04:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by geeteego
It will spool slower. It's been proven time and time and time again. When 900+rwhp guys are running manifolds, it's proven not to be a restriction. STS, or any rear mount turbo system, really seems to like defying the rules on how to make power...
It is not really defying the rules, it follows the rules for turbocharging. Turbos thrive on velocity and heat (Google it, you can read up). Denying them heat by using headers takes away one of their strengths. However you do it, be sure and wrap the exhaust all the way to the turbo to retain as much heat as possible.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:49 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
It is not really defying the rules, it follows the rules for turbocharging. Turbos thrive on velocity and heat (Google it, you can read up). Denying them heat by using headers takes away one of their strengths. However you do it, be sure and wrap the exhaust all the way to the turbo to retain as much heat as possible.
You took my post out of context, and it's probably the way I worded it.

Traditional thought on making power = bigger hotside is better.

Turbocharging, rear mounts = bigger not necessarily better.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by geeteego
You took my post out of context, and it's probably the way I worded it.

Traditional thought on making power = bigger hotside is better.

Turbocharging, rear mounts = bigger not necessarily better.
Certainly the larger hotside is a possibility. And I respect your viewpoint. However, the issue with rearmount turbos is heat. One could use a very large cast iron exhaust manifold, even all the way to the turbo. Then it would spool the fastest and make the most power. Not too practical, IMHO.
And I agree, just making the largest pipe to the turbo is not the answer, there are other factors to consider. 4-5 years ago, I researched this with a turbocharging engineering forum. Their consensus was to wrap the pipe all the way to the turbo, to retain as much heat as possible. At this time, it seems to be the optimal solution.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:55 AM
Staging Lane

There's another post on here somewhere and another option was brought up. ..You could get ceramic coated SHORTY headers, then wrap. Less restriction than manifolds... and hold in more heat than long tubes. Of course the y-pipe would be smaller too. Less surface area to lose heat. The key is to balance velocity and heat loss. It's pretty much trial and error based on your car and mods. I'm in the process of figuring all of this out right now while installing my STS kit. I'm no expert. Please keep responding guys. I enjoy reading and learning. lol.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:26 PM
11 Second Club

In first gear, turbo spools at 4500, second, 4000, third, 3500, 4th... 3000... im happy.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:08 PM
Staging Lane

Would I be off base to think that that is a little to high of an RPM to Start spooling, even with headers? If you have a stock cam, then you're only using the turbo for about 1000 RPM. Right? Did you use exhaust wrap back to the turbo? Just curious because I'm running a similar setup soon.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The car im doing some work on has shorty headers on it with a sts system. Im going to remove them and put stock manifolds on them when I put the new engine in. I have no idea how it spooled before either.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:51 AM
11 Second Club

after market cam, i spin up to 7000 daily..... i am goin to wrap the exhaust soon... i live in hawaii.. parts take time
Old 05-05-2009, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Zombie

haha, you do like doing things things twice dont ya Zombie? haha....
Old 05-05-2009, 10:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
i forget what thread is was but i remember reading in this forum, that wrapping the exhasut helps for sure, but some one also mentioned that it can erode the exhaust from the inside out? is this true?
Old 05-06-2009, 09:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by F-BodyGuy98
i forget what thread is was but i remember reading in this forum, that wrapping the exhasut helps for sure, but some one also mentioned that it can erode the exhaust from the inside out? is this true?
No it wont erode the exhaust but if you have a coating on the exhaust it will go through that. but normal alum or ss it will not kill it.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brianfromhawaii
In first gear, turbo spools at 4500, second, 4000, third, 3500, 4th... 3000... im happy.
Yes, you can run ceramic LT's. I had DynaTech LT's (coated) when I had the STS on my car. But, stock manifolds work better... that is proven.

The spool times you noted above are not that good. Probably has something to do with the cam, but wrapping the exhaust will make a big difference. I could usually get mine to 5PSI by 3400RPM in 1st, 3000 in 2nd, and 2.5K or lower in 3rd-6th.

BTW, 36lb/hr injectors are too small. I maxed out 42's with less cam then you and only 5PSI. I was running (and still run) MotoTron 60's. That was with a Racetronix pump, hotwire, and a return fuel system referenced to 60PSI.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:07 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Schantin
Yes, you can run ceramic LT's. I had DynaTech LT's (coated) when I had the STS on my car. But, stock manifolds work better... that is proven.

The spool times you noted above are not that good. Probably has something to do with the cam, but wrapping the exhaust will make a big difference. I could usually get mine to 5PSI by 3400RPM in 1st, 3000 in 2nd, and 2.5K or lower in 3rd-6th.

BTW, 36lb/hr injectors are too small. I maxed out 42's with less cam then you and only 5PSI. I was running (and still run) MotoTron 60's. That was with a Racetronix pump, hotwire, and a return fuel system referenced to 60PSI.

Have ceramic LTs... Started the wrapping process. Heres a pic. Sheer beauty. I ran out of wrap. That was 40 or so feet just on that! I am going to wrap the WHOLE system all the way back, and put one of those NASA diapers on the turbo
Attached Thumbnails The real deal on STS and headers-photo.jpg  
Old 05-08-2009, 09:19 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Zombie

Hahahaha nice... not that any of us "rear-mount" guys have ever done anything twice.

Bottom line to this thread... I think you are going to do allot of work... and get the same results we have out of manifolds. At best, I think you will compensate for ~80-90% of the loss with headers... and gain it back in the header application to the motor itself. But you look to be running lean.. and if you choke it with too small an AR or turbo.. then you just negate any benifit you get from "free flowing" headers... either way I think you will likely fall short, or on Par at best.

Good luck with your build either way.. would love for you to proove us wrong!

Quick Reply: The real deal on STS and headers