General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Installing an electric water pump...

Old 04-29-2009, 10:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing an electric water pump...

... and did a fully automatic wiring system.

I am also putting on the March Brackets and pulley kit. I am not completely finished with it yet. I came up with a fully automatic wiring schematic for my electrical componants. I have all my switches and relays wired, just needed to be installed. This will allow me to start my car without the initial amp draw of the water pump, and/or fuel pump, which will send all available battery power to the starter. Once oil pressure comes up to 15PSI, the 2 relays will close and the fuel and water pumps will kick on. When I shut the car off and the engine is still warm, or it "heat soaks", I have relays wired so the water pump and fan will turn on as needed. Sometimes wiring goes screwy, in those cases, I have wired an Emergency set of switches to bypass all the relay crap that most people wouldn't have anyway. If I have to prime the fuel for some reason, no problem, just flip the switch for a minute. I have no thermostat, I use a restrictor plate, so I could bring the engine temp down fast to do any repairs. This switch panel was designed for a race car to be mounted on the roll bar. The 45 degree angle works perfect to mount these switches on the ugly raised metal bracket, where the rear of the oem shifter used to be mounted inside the console. A fire extinguisher mount will hide the other ugly hole from the rear console mount. I have my switches set up to have a back-up fuel pump, wired and plumbed in. You never know when your only fuel pump will crap out, leaving you stranded. They never go out when you are in your own driveway. Check out my schematic, and switch panel pic. (which is not mounted yet, just there to give you an idea) I will put up pics of the completed water pump/ March stuff installed. I like my stuff to be fully automatic. I know this seems wierd to alot of people on here, but I like form and automatic function. My dad is the "Flip Switch King", heck one time he had a flip switch for the brake lights. Not my brand of oil. I do have fuses and breakers in the system, but just left them out of the drawing.

schematic

switch panel

Search this Thread