Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

few questions on my 1.8 rockers and clearance questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 04:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Default few questions on my 1.8 rockers and clearance questions

First off i have 1.8 Yella Terra non-adj. rockers. They came with a washer that would sit under the pedestal I'm assuming. Is that so "cheat" my PR length a tad or what?

Second my cam specs are.. 224/230--600/612--114+2, will i have clearance issues with stock valve covers? Hopefully i don't need to buy aftermarket ones or will i?
Old 04-30-2009, 05:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The washers (shims) are to adjust the geometry (wipe pattern) of the roller on the valve stem, not to set preload. Once the correct geometry is established, you need to measure for the correct preload. The instructions are confusing at best. If you shim, you will need to remove the baffles and clean up the aluminum protrusions at the pushrod side of the valve cover. If you shim much more than supplied, then the roller end also needs to be clearanced (found that out the hard way). Mine are probably as high up as anyones, and I am using properly clearanced stock valve covers.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:36 PM
TECH Veteran

now there not adjustible rockers so why or how would i set my preload??
Old 04-30-2009, 06:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

The shims set geometry. Once geometry is correct, you use an adjustable pushrod to measure zero lash with the correct shim in place then add the preload to the measurement.

One other option on valve covers is a 1/2" spacer, might be simpler and allow the use of the PCV system with less likelihood of pulling in oil.

Adjusting the wipe pattern: Link

Measuring pushrod length: Link
Old 04-30-2009, 09:19 PM
TECH Veteran

i played with them a little tonight and I'm not gonna run any shims. With no shim its JUST to the inside of the valve stem and with one shim its directly over the center. So with the lift being fairly high im gonna run no shim and should run pretty center on the valve stem. Only thing that was hard for me to determine is my preload. My lifters are new, just soaked, so they collapse pretty easy. How much preload you want? 1/4 turn after 0 lash?
Old 05-01-2009, 04:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Don't measure preload with turns, it is very inaccurate. Get an adjustable pushrod. Since the shims center the rocker wipe, you should run the shims and then measure, otherwise you valve guide wear will increase due to side loading. Sounds like you need to measure anyhow, so do it once and set it up correctly.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:57 AM
TECH Veteran

well i don't have guide plates, there non-adj. self aligning rockers. And i do have a PR checker so how would i go about using it to set my preload?
Old 05-01-2009, 11:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Not guide plates, the valve guides. The above links will tell you how to set both wipe and preload.