Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock K member

Old 04-30-2009, 10:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Stock K member

Anyone here still on their stock k member running in the 10's, into the 9's? Was there a big difference on weight transfer due to the lighter front end? Approximately, how much did it cut your times? Sorry with all questions.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BOLO
Anyone here still on their stock k member running in the 10's, into the 9's? Was there a big difference on weight transfer due to the lighter front end? Approximately, how much did it cut your times? Sorry with all questions.

Aftermarket K members are one of the last weight reduction mods people do.

$500 for 25lbs is pretty low on the bang-for-buck scale.

As far as times go, By itself it is worth maybe .025 seconds. However, every pound adds up and if you look at it in relation to drag brakes, manual rack, ABS delete ext.... it gives you a better perspective.

My advice would be to do all the free stuff first, and then do all the Light wieght chrome molly at once.

This BMR kit, for instance, will take 120lbs off the front end of your car.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/4F-PACKAGES.htm

With the mods in this kit (or those from other sponsers, not saying BMR is the best) as well as Removing HVAC, bumper supports, ABS, cruise control, skinny front tires, !rearseat, spare tire, carpet, front sway bar and all the other free stuff and you are looking at droping close to 300-400#s.... most of it off the nose of the car.

Now we are talking about 1/2 a second in the quarter mile.

Conclusion.... Lightwieght K-member, by-itself, is not a smart investment. However, in conjunction with the other wieght reduction stuff it becomes a good mod.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:53 PM
11 Second Club

all your stock Eliminator cars per the rules are running on a stock k-member. Many of them are in the 10's.

Its a good mod to do if you have the money. The space you gain for headers and just overall ability to work on the car is priceless.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

A lot of people go with an aftermarket kmember is for the clearence.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I had my stock k-member on and was in the 10's, haven't really noticed much of a difference by throwing the bmr piece in, it all adds up though
Old 05-03-2009, 12:38 PM
10 Second Club

Im on mine. 25#s isn't worth the coin, Maybe if I get a second hand one cheap.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:05 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

See my sig pic? That's on the way to a bumper dragging cession, and the stock k member is one of the things that probably saved the car from any major damage.

I do have a motor plate on the car so the stock moutns aren't being used anymore, but I can tell you the stock k member with the motor mounts and pedestals off makes alot more room to work on things.

So far I've been 9.53 @ 142+ with the stock k member, upper and lower a arms, stock rack.

I will be making a big purchase with madman for the racecraft race front end that's out, with the 3rd gen 2 inch drop spindles, the afco brakes, 3rd gen brakes, rack, column and steering shaft.

That, should take about 75 lbs off from the stock stuff, even with the hub style aerospace brakes that I already put on. Sucks that I'm gonna replace brand new drag brakes, but the spindles are like 25 lbs lighter and they need the 3rd gan brakes, so they're getting the nod.

At least I know stock spindles that are painted and modified for the aerospace brakes, with the brakes should be an easy sell. Especially if I throw in the lower a arms that are already ground for the drag brake clearance.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So the consensus is that unless you are going all out, and do all the front suspension, that is probably isn't worth the money or the decrease in safety?
Old 05-06-2009, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
See my sig pic? That's on the way to a bumper dragging cession, and the stock k member is one of the things that probably saved the car from any major damage.

I do have a motor plate on the car so the stock moutns aren't being used anymore, but I can tell you the stock k member with the motor mounts and pedestals off makes alot more room to work on things.

So far I've been 9.53 @ 142+ with the stock k member, upper and lower a arms, stock rack.

I will be making a big purchase with madman for the racecraft race front end that's out, with the 3rd gen 2 inch drop spindles, the afco brakes, 3rd gen brakes, rack, column and steering shaft.

That, should take about 75 lbs off from the stock stuff, even with the hub style aerospace brakes that I already put on. Sucks that I'm gonna replace brand new drag brakes, but the spindles are like 25 lbs lighter and they need the 3rd gan brakes, so they're getting the nod.

At least I know stock spindles that are painted and modified for the aerospace brakes, with the brakes should be an easy sell. Especially if I throw in the lower a arms that are already ground for the drag brake clearance.
I have wondered about the spindles. I have searched, but don't really understand what it does or how it saves weight. Can you explain?
Old 05-06-2009, 05:11 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I put stock K member and control arms back on mine when I changed from bracket racing to NHRA & IHRA Super Stock. (Rules required it) Forgot how much better it drives with the factory pieces under it. I would never change it back.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:13 PM
9-Second Club

Originally Posted by landonew
I have wondered about the spindles. I have searched, but don't really understand what it does or how it saves weight. Can you explain?
The big-assed brake caliper mounts are gone. The two biggest weight savings on these cars light brakes and front seats.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:19 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
The big-assed brake caliper mounts are gone. The two biggest weight savings on these cars light brakes and front seats.
Light brakes from what manufacturer? I'd like to upgrade mine. As far as seats, I'll probably go with Kirkeys. Thanks Mr Ed Wright.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:38 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Hold off on the brakes if you can, I'm going to be going to the spindles and whatnot and in a couple months I will have my aerospace hub style with the modified stock spindles for sale all ready to go. Brakes were like 850 new, they're a season old. Not sure what I'm gonna be asking yet, but I'm thinking of selling them with the stock ground a arms, the modded spindles the whole thing as a simple bolt on package. Stay tuned
Old 05-08-2009, 09:16 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

stock k on mine. and it will not come off unless it becomes a drag car.

1. it saves more broken parts when the wheels come high off the ground
2. ive been run off the road before and went over a couple curbs. the k took some nice damage-had it been a tubular peice i would have had to buy new headers and most likely lost the oil pan. which can be major if you dont notice it right away and the car sits there running with no oil.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:08 PM
9 Second Club

I'm still running the stock K member on mine, the car has been 9.36 @ 145. Like others said, it's a pretty big investment fr the little bit of weight you will save. I'll probably get one in the next few months but only because I need to take every bit that I can get off the car to make up for my little motor LOL.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:27 AM
9-Second Club

Originally Posted by BOLO
Light brakes from what manufacturer? I'd like to upgrade mine. As far as seats, I'll probably go with Kirkeys. Thanks Mr Ed Wright.
I have Areospace brakes on mine. Very light, and bolted right on with no problems as long as you can read and understand the instructions. Evidently, some can't. I also used a manual master cylinder conversion kit from F.J. Smith Race Cars, in Canada. He makes a ton of cool parts for these cars. The instructions he gives for modifying the brake pedal is right on also. No problem locking them up at the finish line. (Not recomended.) I was warned about smoking all four when I didn't realize I had gotten on them that hard.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:07 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
I also used a manual master cylinder conversion kit from F.J. Smith Race Cars, in Canada. He makes a ton of cool parts for these cars.
Just Googled him... very cool site. Thanks for sharing Ed
http://www.smithperformance.com/catalogue_fb_sub.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stock K member