Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

t56 rattle at idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 11:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default t56 rattle at idle

Ive been reading a few older threads regarding the t56 idle rattle. I just bought my 01 ss (45k miles) and Im getting an idle rattle with the clutch out (not depressed). The noise goes away instantly when i press the clutch.

From the previous threads i have gathered that this is somewhat common with aftermarket clutches, but i bought my car from a dealer so I dont know if it's got an aftermarket clutch or not!

Other than the rattle at idle and low rpm take off (goes away around 2k rpm) the trans seems perfect, no grinding or popping out of any gears.
The noise does seem to be non existent at low rpm in 4th gear, which leads me to believe that this could be a main shaft issues since it seems to only occur in 1st thru 3rd.

The idle noise is noticeable from inside and outside the cabin (really only noticable if you are listening for it or expecting it when outside the cabin).

Just curious if anybody has some input, the car is still under state warranty so I am taking it in to be looked at but i want to be sure i know what im talking about before taking it in. Dont want to have them tell me its nothing and wind up having to drop some $$ into the trans in the near future, also i dont want to press a non-issue and have hte dealer waste time/money if its normal or no big deal.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-01-2009, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Throwout bearing ?

Old 06-27-2019, 12:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Bringing this back to life. I'm having the same noise with my car.

anyone figure out what causes this?
Old 06-27-2019, 09:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bearcatt
Throwout bearing ?

I realize I’m quoting a 10 year old post, but the answer here is still relevant.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

IDK about 2002 T56 but ones for the 94-97 cars there commonly was the "marbles in a can" sound at idle with clutch out in neutral. Noise went away once clutch was depressed and tranny in any gear. This was deemed as "normal"

Your sig notes a "Tick" trans...contact them about your concerns
Old 06-28-2019, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Its harmonics in the gear sets that are spinning with no load,, its the reason dual mass flywheels are the norm in European cars,
getrag transmissions are notorious for it.. The dual mass flywheel damps the crank firing pulses so it
doesn't rattle the gear engagement in the cluster gears. Basically your hearing the freeplay in the cluster gears.

This can also be a loose input shaft bearing on a higher mile transmission.

Quick Reply: t56 rattle at idle