Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Complete Rebuild Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 01:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 Complete Rebuild Kit?

I have been having issues with first gear popping out quite violently. It has already broke the bearings in the rear end which I had replaced, but I need to totally overhaul the transmission. I have prolly broke the throw out bearing as well and will be doing a clutch swap while the car is down.

I need a complete kit that has everything I will need to rebuild the tranny. Should I replace the gears inside even if they are not broken? I am planning on using the rebuild write up and the service manual along with the help of some local guys who know what they are doing. I just want to start pricing things out so I can get a good idea of how much this is going to cost me. I was hopping to get all the parts needed for under 600 or so dollars. This would include a beefed up 3-4 shift fork and anything else I can get that is better than stock. I just cant afford to have the rebuild done at a shop and have to pay labor when I have the room and tools available to me to do it myself. Plus this would be a good learning experience for myself.

I have looked at this kit, but is that really everything I need?

http://www.thegearbox.org/catalog/it...17/3503850.htm

Then I would assume I would have to oder the shift forks correct? Anything else? Just trying to price this thing out before I put the car on blocks and go to work.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 05-01-2009, 02:59 PM
FormerVendor

Well, some more details would be nice....stock power levels? or more? A basic rebuild with no broken parts, you will come in under $600 pretty easily. If you have some broken gears or such, it will start to add up. Also, if you plan on upgrading...bronze pads, billet keys, etc...that can add up as well.
Might want to try Tick Performance for some pricing.....
Old 05-01-2009, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

I would like to upgrade performance but the car is not going to see a huge amount of power. I have bolt ons headers and exhaust. Prolly wont do too much more to it.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:14 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by bmartin8
I would like to upgrade performance but the car is not going to see a huge amount of power. I have bolt ons headers and exhaust. Prolly wont do too much more to it.

Can teh car be down for long? In other words, you might (if you have the time) break teh tranny down, open her up, and see what is broken/worn out. replace what is needed, and upgrade where your wallet dictates. For your power levels, not much is NEEDED, but some nice options would be:

Bronze pads for @ $70, gears 1-4
Billet keys for @ $70

and if teh $$$$$ allows, then maybe:

Steel 3-4 fork for $50
and carbon fiber blocking rings $180.

Those are all options, and not NEEDED in a basic rebuild, but they do help....
Old 05-02-2009, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

That is exactly what I have been thinking about. I do have room and access to the tools needed to do rebuild myself. I dont really have any other option with the car being down as I dont want to continue driving it and risk tearing up anything further. I can walk to my work so that is a HUGE plus. I almost sold the car, but figured I would still be out the same amount of money or more getting another vehicle. I hate doing this but I think I am going to take out a line of credit on another credit card and put everything on that and hopefully pay it off over the summer. I am out of school now so I will be able to work full time. I am looking at the Tick stage 2 and LS7 clutch package. I think all that will run me a little over a grand. If I didnt do this myself I would be looking at 3 grand in parts and labor. Just going to put the car on blocks and take my time with it and hopefully learn some things. Im sure ill get pretty pissed off at times lol, but I just have to take my time and not get too frustrated.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:41 PM
Banned

I would recommend tearing it down before ordering parts as well. Most companies can have you the parts with a few days. Sooner if you want to pay the extra shipping cost.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:24 PM
FormerVendor

While teh stage II from Tick is worth the money, it maybe in your best interest as thesource and Ihave said, open it up first and see what ya need first. When i was ur age (what, about 20?) which was a LONG time ago, I did the credit card thing, and i all I can tell you is NO!!!!!! I know sometimes it feels like it is unavoidable, but no point in spending $600+ for a kit that you may only have to spend $100-$200 on instead, ya know? ALOT easier to come up with $100 instead of $600. You put that $600 on a CC, end up paying 15-25%, then you make teh mininum payment, and that $600 turns to $1200
I mean, do what ya got to do, but I would seriously take the tranny down, walk to work for a couple days, order what you need to fix it, get it back on teh road, save up some more money for the upgrades, and when you have sometime on your hands, THEN do the upgrades. That way you have paid CASH for everything, instead of having some stupid *** credit card bill hanging over your head. Don't EVEN get me started on ******* credit card companies
Old 05-04-2009, 02:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

^^^^^ Good Advice ^^^^^
Old 05-05-2009, 09:21 AM
On The Tree

Yeah tell me about it lol. I have done pretty well for myself with debt management. The card offers 0% for a year and I would most def have the balance paid off before any interest started to pile up. The problem with walking to work is that I work at a restaurante and that type of work is not always the most reliable. I need the car running so I can go back to work full time at my other job. The server gig is pathetic, degrading, and simply not a credible source of income for me at the moment. I am fairly certain the tranny is completely shot. The TOB on the clutch is howling like a **** and the tranny sounds like it has marbles in it, so I am fairly certain its not just a 100 dollar parts list. I want the entire thing rebuilt and done so I dont have to worry about it in the future. If I cant figure something out financially with getting the car fixed I am going to have to sell it, but I dont want to do that untill there is no other option left.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:00 AM
TECH Regular

Not to hijack but how hard is it to work on the t56 tranny's? I need a rebuild and was wondering how hard it would be to do it my self. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, just never messed with tranny's much.

Quick Reply: T56 Complete Rebuild Kit?