Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dark engine internals from Royal Purple oil?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 05:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Dark engine internals from Royal Purple oil?

I bought the car last year & started using Royal Purple oil, been using it for about 7000 miles. I just did a cam swap on the car this week, I noticed it looked real black inside the motor when I had it apart, inside the valve covers & timing chain area. Does Royal Purple do this? There isnt really a sludge buildup, just kinda dark in there. I will take some pics of the oil pump & timing chain tomorrow & post them up. When I changed my valve springs, I did a leakdown test & all cylinders showed real low leakdown, like 1-2%.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you had the engine down before? It's most likely black from before you owned it and not related to the Royal Purple.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many miles on it? Do you know if the person that owned it before used synthetic oil. Do you know if they changed the oil on time? If you want clean the inside of your motor,drain all the oil out change the filter and fill it with ATF. Run it for 10min then drain and change the filter. Yes, it is ok to run ATF in the motor. ATF is just like oil but has more detergent(cleaning additives). Better than any oil flush you can buy. Trust me it works.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
I bought the car last year & started using Royal Purple oil, been using it for about 7000 miles. I just did a cam swap on the car this week, I noticed it looked real black inside the motor when I had it apart, inside the valve covers & timing chain area. Does Royal Purple do this? There isnt really a sludge buildup, just kinda dark in there. I will take some pics of the oil pump & timing chain tomorrow & post them up. When I changed my valve springs, I did a leakdown test & all cylinders showed real low leakdown, like 1-2%.
Try using a flash light, it really brightens things up.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

+1 on ATF in the motor, it works.

Royal Purple is purple brand new but that dye turns a dark brown within like a hundred miles
Old 05-02-2009, 01:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black
Try using a flash light, it really brightens things up.
Like that new Stinger led? That should be bright enough to see with right?
Old 05-02-2009, 01:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

ya know you could just call and ask em. I grew up just a few min down the rd from em, there not real huge and in a real down home kinda place, im sure theyll try to help.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:55 AM
TECH Regular

Over at the new LSx site a guy named Sarge did an oil analysis and out of all the oils Royal Purple done the worst, even Wal Mart Super Tech done better! you might try searching around and see what all is going on with their oil.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wont ever run RP again. After having tried RP, Mobil 1 and now GC I wont even consider the first two. Not saying I gained power or anything but the motor runs noticably smoother and far quieter than with either RP or M1.
I did notice that with RP though, it seems darker than most others, but I think its just a die issue.

Oh and paint it black, your a dick-I thought you were banned.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cody161
Over at the new LSx site a guy named Sarge did an oil analysis and out of all the oils Royal Purple done the worst, even Wal Mart Super Tech done better! you might try searching around and see what all is going on with their oil.
Depends on the RP you use.

If you use the stuff you can buy at VatoZone, I can see that..

but their XPR oil has done very well in UOA tests. You do have to special order that though and it's $10/qt.

PLEASE don't lump all RP oils into the same category. Don't be a parrot.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:01 PM
Teching In

Im against RP my SBC 377 and my cousins 406 both had bearing issues from RP .

Something isn't right it use to be a great oil
Old 05-02-2009, 12:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 67STRIPES
Im against RP my SBC 377 and my cousins 406 both had bearing issues from RP .

Something isn't right it use to be a great oil
Which RP? The stuff you can buy in stores or the kind you have to order?
Old 05-02-2009, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Depends on the RP you use.

If you use the stuff you can buy at VatoZone, I can see that..

but their XPR oil has done very well in UOA tests. You do have to special order that though and it's $10/qt.

PLEASE don't lump all RP oils into the same category. Don't be a parrot.
Never heard of the XPR stuff. Any links to UOA's of it?
Old 05-02-2009, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

never heard of it either, where and how did you find this stuff? seems dumb to make a top of the line oil and not advertise/market/sell it in stores. 10 bucks a qt seems downright stupid. Do you run it?
Old 05-02-2009, 01:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CarsandWomen
never heard of it either, where and how did you find this stuff? seems dumb to make a top of the line oil and not advertise/market/sell it in stores. 10 bucks a qt seems downright stupid. Do you run it?
You can't buy it in stores. It has additive packages that make it "illegal" to run in street cars. I heard about it from someone local running it, a shop owner. Ran it in his mid 9's H/C/N2O 347 and strongly recommended it.

I ordered it from Speed Inc once, and once from Summit or Jegs.

Here's a UOA on it:

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9482

Last edited by Paint_It_Black; 05-02-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_artic...mW6PM,b1cwnrQf
Old 05-02-2009, 02:46 PM
Banned

Interesting article that has nothing to do with this thread. It had to do with advertising, not performance. It actually supports the performance of RP. Here's an excerpt:

BP Lubricants said it hired the independent laboratory Southwest Research Institute, in San Antonio, to analyze power output of gasoline engines with Royal Purple Oil and with BP’s Castrol oil for comparisons. “The results were provided to the challenger’s expert statistician who was not informed of the identity of the candidate oils,” NAD stated. “The challenger’s [BP’s] expert determined a 0.9 percent difference in power between the oils, which did not rise to the level of statistical significance, and is well below the 3 percent claim made by the advertiser.”

SwRI did additional tests to independently determine the differences in fuel economy, emissions data and engine temperature between Royal Purple and Castrol motor oils. According to SwRI, “there was no statistically significant difference between the fuel economy, emissions data or engine temperature between the two candidate oils,” NAD said.

Following its review of the non-anecdotal evidence in the record, NAD recommended that Royal Purple discontinue the claims, “Reduces emissions up to 20 percent or more” and “Reductions in emissions of 20 percent or more” because the studies on which the claims were based were outdated and not consumer-relevant.

NAD also recommended the advertiser discontinue its unsupported claim that Royal purple motor oil is “API/ILSAC Certified.” Noting that API and ILSAC licenses and certifications have many categories with different meanings, the NAD recommended that the company discontinue its claim that its synthetic oils are “generally ‘API/ILSAC Certified.’”

In fact, no Royal Purple products are certified to current ILSAC specifications.

The American Petroleum Institute licenses its trademarked Service Symbol, or ‘donut,’ for display on qualified engine oils, and also licenses the ILSAC ‘starburst’ logo for oils that meet the auto industry’s latest energy-conserving standards. In API’s online directory of licensees for its Engine Oil Licensing and Certification Program, Royal Purple has a total of 23 passenger car and diesel engine oil products listed, all licensed to use the API donut. Five of these may additionally display the words ‘energy conserving’ within the donut logo, but none of the Royal Purple products are licensable to the current ILSAC GF-4 specification and they cannot display the starburst logo.

So RP oil DID see a 1% increase in power, and doesn't conform to GF-4 specifications. Both great things. Conforming to new GF-4 specs would mean it had it's Zinc and other anti-wear metals cut in half or more because of emissions reasons.

Here's an independant test out of Australia showing bearing wear, the XPR is the old "R 51" just renamed:

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf
Old 05-02-2009, 09:00 PM
TECH Regular

i wasnt knocking their oil in anyway if it seemed like i was. i was just trying to inform the OP so he could research and determine what his possible problem may have been. I was also informed that a couple of the 6 speed transmission shops wasnt warrantying their transmissions if you ran RP becasue some of the detergents were breaking down the parts. Just something else to think about.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

Which RP? The stuff you can buy in stores or the kind you have to order?
So your saying RP makes crap oil that isn't even as good as walmart oil and also makes kick *** oil?? Just based on those comments I would steer away from the overpriced dyed oil. And what are they hiding with the dye? Personally we have done oil tests at the race shop and royal purple motors had about??? 10X MORE wear than any of the others! I am one that believes in proven results, not just someone trying to bash RP.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bonestock99
So your saying RP makes crap oil that isn't even as good as walmart oil and also makes kick *** oil?? Just based on those comments I would steer away from the overpriced dyed oil. And what are they hiding with the dye? Personally we have done oil tests at the race shop and royal purple motors had about??? 10X MORE wear than any of the others! I am one that believes in proven results, not just someone trying to bash RP.
Oh really? What kind of tests on oil do you do at your "race shop". How did you measure the wear? I am also one that believes in proven results, and the "R" oil or now known as the XPR oil have given outstanding results. I just posted 2 independant tests on it! You said you saw "about 10x more wear". How scientific. That's why this site has the reputation it has across the internet where people who actually know what they're talking about post. And I never said anything about their standard oil. But the Zinc, Phos, and Moly content being cut in half shows me that the regulations for a "street" oil are emissions first, protection second. The XPR doesn't have to conform to that being it's not sold as a "street" oil. You're going to be hard pressed to find an oil with the crush resistance of XPR as well. that isn't included in a UOA test, but the second link I posted does use that in their comparisons.

Quick Reply: Dark engine internals from Royal Purple oil?