Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comp Cams customer service SUCKS!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 06:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Comp Cams customer service SUCKS!!

I called looking for info on a cam and some springs. I purchased a cam and wanted to know exactly what I have, so I go on to tell him the numbers stamped:

3722R/3722R
HR11
C9221

He was speaking Greek to me and would not give me the time to expain the cut. I dont have much knowledge, hence the purpose of the call. The only thing he told me was I had a lift of 513 on a 1.5 rocker and a lsa of 111. Does this sound right? How do I figure the lift on a 1.7 rocker? I was hoping to get an explanation of just what I have. The cam was bought expecting it to be a 220/220 581/581 on a 112, but sounds a little different to me. Not a big deal, I just want to know.

Then as far as the springs, I told him that I have the 918's with the blue stripe and that I read that Comp was either checking these for weakness or replacing them. He told me that very, very few of the springs have had problems and since I dont have the batch number, I am out of luck.

................... I just wanted to vent. You would think that with the economy the way it is right now, salesman would be doing everything they could to please. Maybe Comp is large enough to not give a **** about the "Typical" customer.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

What exactly were you wanting to find out?

you have .581 lift with 1.7 rockers.

You take the .513 divide that by the rocker arm ratio 1.5.

You get .342 which is the lift at the lobe. You then multiply that by 1.7(your new rocker arm ratio) and you get .581

As far as the LSA being 111 I know cam manufacturers sometime round up. I have seen several threads where people degree there cam and the "shelf" grind number is a little bit off than what it actually is.

I am going to assume, which I shouldn't do, that the 3722R is the lobe number. If you look at their catalog I am sure it would list it. That I can't help you on.

Added. If you don't have the batch number for the springs I don't see how they could help you. Yes I think they did have a bad run of the 918 springs and they got a bad rap for it. How isolated that was I don't know.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

I wanted to know the duration at int./exh. and the lift int./exh.
I know now that the 3722R is the lobe number and I think its an XER???
Where did ".513" number come from to begin with?
Old 05-01-2009, 09:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3722R is an XER lobe. 224 duration @ .050 w/ .581 lift w/ a 1.7 rocker. So your cam is a 224/224 .581/.581 on a 111 lobe separation. The .513 lift comes from the lobe chart, it gives the lift w/ 1.5, 1.6, and 1.7 rockers. Comp's tech line is hit or miss. If you call back you might get someone that knows a bit more about what they are selling.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-02-2009, 03:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by sandking
The only thing he told me was I had a lift of 513 on a 1.5 rocker
From there.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.3LJimmy
3722R is an XER lobe. 224 duration @ .050 w/ .581 lift w/ a 1.7 rocker. So your cam is a 224/224 .581/.581 on a 111 lobe separation. The .513 lift comes from the lobe chart, it gives the lift w/ 1.5, 1.6, and 1.7 rockers. Comp's tech line is hit or miss. If you call back you might get someone that knows a bit more about what they are selling.
Correct on the duration and lifts but I am not so sure on the 111 LSA bit.
I tried to look at their catalog but I keep getting an "explorer" error.
Usualy Comp makes cams on 112 or 114 lsa
Old 05-02-2009, 04:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

the person who answers the phone at comp is just a secretary...you have to ask for their tech dept, they are the people to answer our tech questions
Old 05-02-2009, 08:54 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 9secondsflat
the person who answers the phone at comp is just a secretary...you have to ask for their tech dept, they are the people to answer our tech questions
If he had someone tell him the lift with a 1.x rocker, that wasn't the receptionist. He already had someone on the tech line I'm sure.

But they are correct, it's a 224/224 .581"/.581" 111LSA that you've got.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 05-02-2009, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Correct on the duration and lifts but I am not so sure on the 111 LSA bit.
I tried to look at their catalog but I keep getting an "explorer" error.
Usualy Comp makes cams on 112 or 114 lsa
Comp will grind a cam with any LSA you specify if it will fit on the available cores. They identify the LSA and the type of cam exactly as sandking posted.

HR = Hydraulic Roller
11= 111° LSA or (LCA to some folks)

FWIW, PZ you really didn't know that information? Mark Twain was right. You should read/heed his pithy quotes.

Jon
Old 05-02-2009, 10:16 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Old SStroker
HR = Hydraulic Roller
11= 111° LSA or (LCA to some folks)Jon
That's what I thought. Predator had me second guessing what I thought I knew. He had me thinking: "Surely Predator knows HR11=111LSA, maybe I'm wrong".
Old 05-02-2009, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 5.3LJimmy
That's what I thought. Predator had me second guessing what I thought I knew. He had me thinking: "Surely Predator knows HR11=111LSA, maybe I'm wrong".
PRED's post was more useful than I first thought.

Go with your gut, Jimmy.

"Question authority." ---Timothy Leary (perhaps)

Jon
Old 05-02-2009, 10:31 AM
12 Second Club

They have always been great to me, Ive bought stuff from them since the early 90s without an issue ever.

Originally Posted by sandking
He was speaking Greek to me and I don't have much knowledge.
Put yourself in their shoes for a second, His "Greek" was probably the information you were looking for but you just didn't understand what you needed. I couldn't imagine having a job talking to people like this all day. I'm not pointing you out specifically, but I'm sure they get calls about how to tune, how much timing to run, etc, etc, and very few calls where someone is buying anything.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
If he had someone tell him the lift with a 1.x rocker, that wasn't the receptionist. He already had someone on the tech line I'm sure.

But they are correct, it's a 224/224 .581"/.581" 111LSA that you've got.
Yeah, he sounded like some grumpy old man that was just pissed off at the world I went to their website for cam info. The page said for a cam card and ind info, call the 1-800 number or email. So, I did both.

Thanks for the info.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SweetS10V8
They have always been great to me, Ive bought stuff from them since the early 90s without an issue ever.

Put yourself in their shoes for a second, His "Greek" was probably the information you were looking for but you just didn't understand what you needed. I couldn't imagine having a job talking to people like this all day. I'm not pointing you out specifically, but I'm sure they get calls about how to tune, how much timing to run, etc, etc, and very few calls where someone is buying anything.
I understand they probably get lots of dumbass calls, but all I wanted to know was what cam I have. I could not find any info on their website about it, so I called. It should have been a simple answer of "You Have a 224/224 581/581 on a 111" But instead I got the brush off attitude.

Thank goodness for the helpfull people on LS1TECH!!!! I should have just come here first, thanks guys.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Comp will grind a cam with any LSA you specify if it will fit on the available cores. They identify the LSA and the type of cam exactly as sandking posted.

HR = Hydraulic Roller
11= 111° LSA or (LCA to some folks)

FWIW, PZ you really didn't know that information? Mark Twain was right. You should read/heed his pithy quotes.

Jon
I know the purpose of your post Jon.

Not all comp cams have that etched on the back. As a matter of fact, I never order one direct.

This is the kind of info I'm used to: Clearly says HR112

You and your wolf pac can troll around me all you want. To me it only shows that you are a bitter old thing that has to ridicule and pray on others to prove to the world he has amounted to some type of value in life.

You guys were banned from LS1tech for a reason. For similar behavior and always trying to pimp your business without paying the costs. You ridicule this site on hardcorels1, its members, its sponsors, that is what you are good at.
You are like a disease on a monkey's ***, no matter how you look at it, it ain't never good.

I think I understand your behavior in trying to discredit me or some sponsors here all the time. Either it kills you that I help for free or you are so bitter about what the administrators of this site did to you and your son that you want to do your outmost with your followers to hurt it.

As for the sponsors (they know who they are) you just envy their success. Why? because no matter how much you try, you will never build and achieve what they did. You simply have the wrong attitude and you concentrate on the wrong things to achieve that success.
As Mark Twain said "...among human beings jealousy ranks distinctly as a weakness; a trademark of small minds; a property of all small minds, yet a property which even the smallest is ashamed of; and when accused of its possession will lyingly deny it and resent the accusation as an insult."
- Letters from the Earth

I am here to stay and to share info from and to my fellow members. I like Ls1tech.com and unlike you, I am not all knowing (or think that I am) and as long as I am here, I will share what I know, always for free.

Attached Thumbnails Comp Cams customer service SUCKS!!-cam1.jpg  
Old 05-02-2009, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know the purpose of your post Jon.

Not all comp cams have that etched on the back. As a matter of fact, I never order one direct.

This is the kind of info I'm used to: Clearly says HR112

You and your wolf pac can troll around me all you want. To me it only shows that you are a bitter old thing that has to ridicule and pray on others to prove to the world he has amounted to some type of value in life.

You guys were banned from LS1tech for a reason. For similar behavior and always trying to pimp your business without paying the costs. You ridicule this site on hardcorels1, its members, its sponsors, that is what you are good at.
You are like a disease on a monkey's ***, no matter how you look at it, it ain't never good.

I think I understand your behavior in trying to discredit me or some sponsors here all the time. Either it kills you that I help for free or you are so bitter about what the administrators of this site did to you and your son that you want to do your outmost with your followers to hurt it.

As for the sponsors (they know who they are) you just envy their success. Why? because no matter how much you try, you will never build and achieve what they did. You simply have the wrong attitude and you concentrate on the wrong things to achieve that success.
As Mark Twain said "...among human beings jealousy ranks distinctly as a weakness; a trademark of small minds; a property of all small minds, yet a property which even the smallest is ashamed of; and when accused of its possession will lyingly deny it and resent the accusation as an insult."
- Letters from the Earth

I am here to stay and to share info from and to my fellow members. I like Ls1tech.com and unlike you, I am not all knowing (or think that I am) and as long as I am here, I will share what I know, always for free.

Thank you for your insight into matters of veterinary medicine, your altruism, your knowledge of my inner motives and your (almost) all knowing grasp of cam lore.

The actual Twain quote I was thinking of was one much better known:

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." --Mark Twain

Jon
Old 05-02-2009, 01:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thank you for your insight into matters of veterinary medicine, your altruism, your knowledge of my inner motives and your (almost) all knowing grasp of cam lore.

The actual Twain quote I was thinking of was one much better known:

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." --Mark Twain

Jon
Perhaps you should apply that quote to your son....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/11495218-post136.html
Old 05-02-2009, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Perhaps you should apply that quote to your son....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/11495218-post136.html

Nah, I know him better than you do. I'll stick with my original recommendation, but I'll skip the references to your posts. So many posts, so little time.

HC is a lot of fun, ain't it?

Question for you: When you so generously recommend cam specs do you recommend the lobes by number? Who's lobes do you use? There can be quite a few lobes out ther in the ether with the same duration and lobe lift. I've heard that some lobe families act differently from others. Do you recommend associated valvetrain parts to go with your free cam specs? If not, why not? When you recommend a cam do you suggest a supplier? Who?

Jon
Old 05-02-2009, 05:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

He gave me lobe #'s from Comp along with the specs.......

Nobody knows everything including Bret....(i.e. Engine Masters debacle)....

But I have seen your son & Joes (bless his soul) work (T4P 243's) and it was exceptionally nice....Wish I could afford it but 3 kids (college) etc... I have even recommended to some hardcore racers to contact Bret.

Anyway... I don't understand why you are on PZ's *** unless you just don't like the fact he shares his knowledge for no compensation.

I also PM'ed you about exactly what it was about the TSP stuff (that Bret bashes all the time) you thought made it bad/inconsistent (VJ's,port program, QC, etc..) and you didn't reply to the question. And BTW I am not a TSP nutswinger and will have different heads when my 383 goes in.....

And thanks for the compliment on my screen name (from a PM)......only us oldtimers remember Jackie Gleason yelling into the radio to Bandit "you SOMBITCH I'm going to barbecue your ***" One of my alltime fave movies I am a Burt Reynolds fan too......

Last edited by SOMbitch; 05-02-2009 at 06:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Comp Cams customer service SUCKS!!