General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

lt1 starter shim problems?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 06:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default lt1 starter shim problems?

I've recent completed a trans swap on my 1994 LT1 camaro, had automatic changed over to a 6spd man. My prob is that now my starter doesn't work, or more specifically it doesn't start the engine, when you turn the key you get a weird whining noise and I of course thought that somehow while sitting unused for 4 months it went bad by itself but I took it off and had it tested and they claimed it was fine. I also put a new battery in the car thinking that was the issue and still the same result. I was told to try a thing piece of metal called a starter shim as there might be some issue of misalignment with the starter gear to the new flywheel. So i got them and installed various thicknesses of the shims to move the starter around and still the same noises or worse a bad mismatch which sounds like what it is teeth grinding on other teeth. I'm kinda stumped other than just buying a new new starter what could be the issue here??? All the wires are also new and they are properly connected, this car started with no problem when it was automatic trans....

Quick Reply: lt1 starter shim problems?