Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Anyone have a good OBD2 scanner in Mass/NH/RI?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 08:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anyone have a good OBD2 scanner in Mass/NH/RI?

My car has been running well the last week but randomly (mainly when the car was warm/hot)it would sputter/buck for a few seconds and then smooth back out. Now its sputtering/bucking constatly. it doesnt hold an idle and barely gets down the road at any speed becaue its puttering so much. I have a scan gauge that can read if the engine pulls any codes (which its not) but I know more sophisticated scanners can get up to date information from every sensor. I think I may have a dead maf or map but I'm not sure.

Was going to bring it to don, and still may but hes really busy. I've been working my ***** off getting it ready to drive to indianapolis for a once a year national meet for only v8 swapped rx7s and that meet is this upcoming weekend so I need something done early this week. Let me know if you could lend a hand I just dont want to miss this meet because of some issue I know will prob end up being simple.

Thanks guys,
Josh
Old 05-03-2009, 12:00 PM
11 Second Club

Anyone?

I need a scanner that will let me see readings from my sensors in real time to see what is goin on.

Will bring the car to your place with a case of beer. Need the car to run at least by wednesday if not sooner.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd bring it to Don.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by davered00ss
I'd bring it to Don.
Hes the first guy I reached out to but hes absolutly busy for this whole upcoming week. I even tried twisting his arm a bit but I guess hes really busy.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can try getting a scanmaster from a vendor.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:20 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When the car last came here is was missing on 1 to 2 cylinders,the TPS would not zero out and the car needed some ground work.Looks like Scif took care of most of the problems but still has this 1 problem.It needs a scanner to log all the important field to narrow down the problem.Probly not hard to find but we have no time this week due to backlog of existing projects.

As said I can take it next week BUT it looks like you need it done last minute which we just can't do this week..Sorry.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
When the car last came here is was missing on 1 to 2 cylinders,the TPS would not zero out and the car needed some ground work.Looks like Scif took care of most of the problems but still has this 1 problem.It needs a scanner to log all the important field to narrow down the problem.Probly not hard to find but we have no time this week due to backlog of existing projects.

As said I can take it next week BUT it looks like you need it done last minute which we just can't do this week..Sorry.
Deff understand Don, no need to explain your situation. Its always seems to be last minute though with me. Lol actually better that this let go just a few days before heading to Indianapolis or else I woulda been pissed being left stranded on the side of the highway 500 miles away.

If I dont get it sorted this week Don I'll deff be seeing you next week.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:53 PM
11 Second Club

Where are you located? I can scan it with hp tuners for you
Old 05-03-2009, 08:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BoostedLT5
Where are you located? I can scan it with hp tuners for you
Its in Norwood now, but I'm gonna be trailering to Bourne, or where ever you are if your free tomorrow.

Let me know

Thanks,
Josh
Old 05-03-2009, 08:54 PM
11 Second Club

I can look at it tomorrow evening, not until around 7 though in framingham if you are around. I am tied up until then.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:12 PM
11 Second Club

I can look at it tomorrow evening, not until around 7 though in framingham if you are around. I am tied up until then.
You've got PM
Old 05-04-2009, 10:11 PM
11 Second Club

Big thanks to BoostedLT5 (Anthony) and Don, who gave some technical support over the phone.

Anthony really helped me out a lot today and really went out of his way to help a total stranger. We basically figured out that that don was right again and I have a wiring issue. Unfortunatly even after an hour of combing through the harness we couldent find the exact wire or wires that were broken. We would shake the harness and (anthony correct me if I use some wrong terminology here) fuel trims would jump something like 21 points on bank 2 (the passengers side ) and then fall back to normal. We narrowed the wire down to a group of wires on the passengers side in the main harness, cloe to the wires that feed the injectors on that bank.

What I'm trying to figure out is in my mind I cant think of a single wire or even 2 wires that if broken or grounded out would cause the whole passenger side of the engine to go crazy rich. If anyone has some suggestions on what I should check first it would help because probably tomorrow I'm gonna print out a pinout, walk to autozone and buy another multimeter (left my tools on the cape) and go through the shitty process of checking continuity on every wire on either end of the harness.

Let me know

And anthony man if you ever need a hand or a tow or anything just give me a call man and I'll be there, being unemployed gives me plenty of time to play with cars.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:25 AM
11 Second Club

No problem man, glad i could help and we actually figured something out! That car is going to be quick once you get it all figured out. Good luck finding that damn wire!
Old 05-05-2009, 01:09 PM
11 Second Club

No problem man, glad i could help and we actually figured something out! That car is going to be quick once you get it all figured out. Good luck finding that damn wire!
Hey anthony were those LTFTs negative or positive. You were saying it was dumping fuel. The chart was moving up so I'm assuming positive.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:50 PM
11 Second Club

I just got a noid light and checked the injectors on every cylinder. They are all working perfect. So I'm guessing I'm not getting spark to multiple cylinders.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:15 PM
11 Second Club

it was negative 21. There was too much fuel being given to the motor so the computer was telling it to pull fuel on bank 2
Old 05-05-2009, 06:39 PM
11 Second Club

I think i might have found my issue. The coil pack connector on the passengers side has been nothing but problems. 2 signal wires for the front 2 cylinders either came loose from the connector or the pins come disconnected inside the connector but I ended up just jumping those 2 wires and soldering in a different 2 pin connector. Anyway I grabbed the black wire at the coil pack connector and I seemed to be able to control if the engine was running on 8 or 4 cylinders (basically not running at all)

I am going to go out and check it again later but I am pretty sure thats the issue. Injectors were all fine.

That connector is a peice of **** and its pissing me off but good news is I may have found my issue. Now just how to get a new connector tomorrow.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:49 PM
11 Second Club

Nice find man, glad you got it narrowed down so quick!!
Old 05-05-2009, 08:54 PM
11 Second Club

Nice find man, glad you got it narrowed down so quick!!
Does that sound like a reasonable cause for what we were seeing?

BTW I glad I narrowed it down quick cause I was outside in the pouring rain all day in 2 jackets and a trash bag with holes for my head and arms working under the hood. I'm pretty sure my neighbors think I'm crazy. I'm determined to get it running though.. even if this fixes it.. I'm not quite sure I should go to indianapolis. It would BLOW if I got stuck out there.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:19 PM
11 Second Club

There will be plenty of people there to help you if something happens. I went to Fl two years ago drove the car there ran 11.60's and drove home, i figured if it broke there was enogh people around to help me out.