Sponsored by:

No WOT/partial down shift

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 09:57 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No WOT/partial down shift

Donor - 08 Sierra 4x4 5.3L/4L60E into a 04 Jeep Wrangler

I have been fighting this problem since the install and I believe I have it down to the TCM/tune?

Problem is:
I have no WOT/partial throttle kick downs and it shifts with no regard to the shift tables in the tune. By the time I am at about 20 mph, the trans is already in 4th gear. WOT will not cause it to downshift, moving the selector on the console will. And this doesn't matter if I start out slow or WOT. When coming to a stop, the trans will down shift.

Through HPTuners, I can command 1st, 2nd, 3rd but not 4th while at a resting stop. If I am driving down the road, I can not command any change.

Through HPTuners the speedo is only off a few MPH - ~2 at 75 mph, GPS verified as well I have an Autometer programmable speedo that is accurate.

There have been a few occasions where the trans will shift correctly, but it's very far between - 5? times in 3500 miles. I have not been able to duplicate the condition that gets it to shift correctly. But the only time it will, is when I have had HPTuners plugged in.

My files are too big to attach, so if you need to see a log or my tune PM me with your email addy and I'll send it over.

Thanks!!
Old 05-03-2009, 10:05 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Its certainly going to be a TCM sensor/tune issue. The fact that it has occasionally worked correctly is puzzeling unless theres a wiring short.
As far as sensors affecting the trans you have.
VSS
TPS
MAF
RPM

These affect very directly there are other things like MAP, Missfire detection, torque management that affect it indirectly. Personally I would be looking at the TPS/MAF relationship.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-03-2009, 10:52 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Its certainly going to be a TCM sensor/tune issue. The fact that it has occasionally worked correctly is puzzeling unless theres a wiring short.
As far as sensors affecting the trans you have.
VSS
TPS
MAF
RPM

These affect very directly there are other things like MAP, Missfire detection, torque management that affect it indirectly. Personally I would be looking at the TPS/MAF relationship.
When I compare (visually) the two logs I have, one WOT run with it shifting quickly and one WOT run with it shifting normally, I don't see any differences. Other than the obvious from turning more RPM's and moving more air.

It's a drive by wire setup.

The VSS is in the tailhousing of the trans.

Sorry, I'm at a loss here and I'm not really well versed on these trannies so I'm not even sure where to begin, really. It's almost as if something from the 4x4 rig isn't working now. Maybe a wire that is 'floating' and needs to be high/low and occasionaly the voltage is just right, changes state and then hauls ***.

The track opened up last night and I want to run it. But the way it is right now, I wouldn't get 50 mph out of it.

If you have HPTuners I can send you the tune and both logs... Or I might be able to take screen shots? You're the expert, you tell me! lol

EDDIT: Oh, and Speartech reworked the harness, so I don't think there is a wiring issue?

Last edited by waynehartwig; 05-03-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Banned

I'll look at it if you also send the rear tire size and gear ratio (even though it's in the tune).
onebigasstruck@hotmail.com
It says you can upload up to 1.24MB hpt file here, thats pretty big.

Last edited by 2002CAMAROSSLS1T56; 05-12-2009 at 12:25 AM.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2002CAMAROSSLS1T56
I'll look at it if you also send the rear tire size and gear ratio (even though it's in the tune).
onebigasstruck@hotmail.com
It says you can upload up to 1.24MB hpt file here, thats pretty big.
TUne and logs sent - Thank you very much!!!!

I can't attach because my tune is just under 2.3 mb.

Just so others know, I compared both logs at the same engine RPM and all of the sensors read about the same - MAF, MAP, injector pulse width, etc. But yet one changed gears quickly and the other went to ~6k before changing gears.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:06 PM
Banned

Looks like a bad TPS to me. Yours never goes below 20% The one scan showed it idling for a very long time at 20% and 550 RPM.

At 20% TPS my car is around 2500 RPM.

Yours also never goes above 83% TPS.

I'd say it's a mechanical issue, like the TPS.

Heres yours at 20% TPS

Heres mine at 20%

Big RPM difference, plus the fact it never goes lower (it did go to 17 a few times) and it never went above 83%, the RPM doesn't match the TPS.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:49 PM
Launching!

If that's the case, then why does the trans follow the shift tables only sometimes? Like in the two tunes I showed you, each show the exact same TPS values; but in one I went from 0-70 in like 6 seconds while pulling my camp trailer.

Not doubting you, I'm just trying to understand this and save myself a few hundred bucks if the pedal is indeed good. DBW - TPS is on the gas peddle, right? If it is the TPS, I'll gladly buy another peddle to solve this!!!
Old 05-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Launching!

I also posed this question, kinda, awhile ago and got this response:
http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22731

Originally Posted by waynehartwig
my throttle is from 23% at rest to 80% at full throttle.
Originally Posted by talsayed
Log ETC position % pid instead of Throttle position sensor & you'll be able to see (100%) WOT:yay:
Old 05-03-2009, 10:10 PM
Banned

Don't waste money on my word please. Maybe it's something else, but it should not idle at 550 RPM and 20% TPS and it should go over 83% TPS.

Why does it work sometimes? Well a broken clock is right twice a day right?
In other words the tps might need to be at a certain position at a certain time, maybe you hit that position once in a while. Maybe the TPS should read 100% but it stops at 83% and it screws up, maybe when it shifts right you're giving it 83% throttle and that just happens to be where it's stuck at.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:17 PM
Banned

Why aren't you logging the ETC% PID then?
I'd also like to see trans shift PIDS added too, but I was working with what you gave me.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:25 PM
Launching!

Why aren't you logging the ETC% PID then?
I'd also like to see trans shift PIDS added too, but I was working with what you gave me.
Because I never saw it as an issue after I posed the question before.
I just logged the ETC Position PID and it indeed shows 0-100%. I also just logged the ETC Pedal 1 PID and it shows .94-4.18V. I'll send you this log file as well right now so you can see it to be sure I'm reading it right.

What trans shift PIDS do you want?
Old 05-03-2009, 10:58 PM
Launching!

Just found this:

The APP sensors are used to determine the pedal angle. The engine control module (ECM) provides each APP sensor a 5-volt reference circuit and a low reference circuit. The APP sensors provide the ECM with signal voltage proportional to the pedal movement. The APP sensor 1 signal voltage at rest position is less than 1 volt and increases to above 4 volts as the pedal is actuated. The APP sensor 2 signal voltage at rest position is near 0.5 volt and increases to more than 2 volts as the pedal is actuated.
According to the HPTuners scanner...
APP 1 - .94-4.18v
APP 2 - .45-2.08v

I don't think it's the TPS
Old 05-03-2009, 11:17 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

The TPS is a variabe resistor not very different from a volume contol they can be irratic

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-04-2009, 08:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by waynehartwig
Just found this:

According to the HPTuners scanner...
APP 1 - .94-4.18v
APP 2 - .45-2.08v

I don't think it's the TPS
This is where I stop.
TPS % is not AT 20 with an idle of 550 RPM.

You spend how much for HP Tuners? And they can't make it read actual TPS position without running through hoops calculating all kinds of **** off the gas pedal? Well actually they could but didn't bother putting it in the programming, along with countless other short comings.

And FWIW I have never gotten an answer off their site about something technical. Basic, no problem. Unusual, problem. Users don't have a clue and the creators don't want to admit they skipped out on a few things. JMHO.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:05 AM
Launching!

This is where I stop.
TPS % is not AT 20 with an idle of 550 RPM.

You spend how much for HP Tuners? And they can't make it read actual TPS position without running through hoops calculating all kinds of **** off the gas pedal? Well actually they could but didn't bother putting it in the programming, along with countless other short comings.

And FWIW I have never gotten an answer off their site about something technical. Basic, no problem. Unusual, problem. Users don't have a clue and the creators don't want to admit they skipped out on a few things. JMHO.
No, don't stop... I need help! That's why I'm asking over here, because nobody even replied to my thread over there. I've been fighting this issue for 2? months now and I've had several threads on it over there with no answers.

I'm beginning to realize HPTuners wasn't the best choice, even though I fealt it had the most people satisfied with it's use. What program are you using that shows the correct TPS? The log you showed looked the same as mine.

If I even thought replacing the $2-300 pedal would solve it, I would in a heartbeat. But based on the GM diagnostic description and what HPTuners showed for the voltage, I don't believe it's bad.

As for being erratic, I've watched it in the logs and on the Edge and it's never shown as being erratic.

Also, Speartech tested the pedal/ECM/TCM/wiring/MAF/etc when they did the harness.

At this point I'm tempted in taking it down to the GM dealership and have them program the ECM and TCM with an 08 Sierra 4x2 OS and CAL software..... Or go buy a 2 wheel drive TCM?
Old 05-04-2009, 10:53 AM
Banned

Me, I'd get a cable TB and pedal. Load up a slightly modified LS1 tune.

Thats what my log file shows, an hp tuners screen shot of my LS1 running.

Go read the stickies at hp tuners, you'll probably find someone who had the same problem, it'll be 100's of replies long, then it'll cut off without an answer. "got the problem fixed" end of thread. Pretty typical over there when I stopped reading them years ago. I did some reading yesterday and seen nothing has changed as far as that goes.

I may look at your tune later, this a quick reply, got to leave soon.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:00 AM
Banned

Ok, the ETC equipped vehicles have no IAC so it opens the throttle blade for idle air. That 20% at 550 rpm isn't a problem.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:40 PM
Launching!

I'd like to keep the DBW setup.

I need to keep a late model tune, becuase I like the DOD feature this motor has.

My Edge controller shows the correct TPS as well.

I'm really hoping to get this fixed soon. The drag strip opened up this weekend and I'm really itchin' to run it!
Old 05-05-2009, 10:45 AM
Launching!

Any other ideas?
Old 05-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Banned

Not from me.
I'd look into that TPS showing 83% max.
Can you take the air intake off and without it running log TPS and look at the throttle blade?
I guess I need to learn a bit about DBW.
I do have this magical ability of drawing attention to threads, but it leads to people calling me names and me getting banned over and over.
I may read into it some more, last night I compared your tune to a stock one, nothing jumped out at me. I'd raise the MPH limiter, no explaination as to why, but 98 or whatever it is seems low. maybe it's predicting it'll get there quick and cutting throttle blade angle.

Quick Reply: No WOT/partial down shift