Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

Jump start gone wrong

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 07:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Jump start gone wrong

Hey, recently I tried to jump my car using brand new cables only to find out that the wires were crossed from the factory. I did not notice until the wires started melting and saw smoke rising from the terminals.
Anyways, put the car on a tender and started it up. Now my ABS INOP, BRAKE, Service Vehicle lights are on, and they were not on prior to this. Did I fry something, if so what is it and how can i fix it? Car already has a misfire, but now upon coming to a stop the car will sometimes have problems holding idle and wants to idle very low (400ish).
What is very strange is I can be clutch out in neutral rolling at 5 mph, idling fine, put my foot on the brake come to a stop and BOOM it no longer wants to idle. BCM problem or what?
Help me out here guys.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

crossing the jumper cables between your battery/vehicle and another battery/vehicle only short circuits between those two batteries along the jumper cables if you connected from battery post to battery post for both + and -.
If you connected the negative cable to the engine block or chassis like they say you should, then you most likely fried the engine ground straps and cables going from your battery neg. to the engine or wherever you connected your jumper cable to. So check/replace all the wiring and ground straps, that is what's causing your brake inop problems. the sensors aren't getting good electrical ground through the chassis, but you will not have hurt the sensors or any electronics.

If you connected jumper cables from battery post to battery post then that wouldn't hurt anything else other than the two batteries and the jumper cables, but then again the battery might have blown up in your face.
I would have thought you'd notice the problem as soon as you made the last jumper cable connection and saw a massive arc, although at that point it probably welded the jumper cable to whatever in which case you were fucked anyway.

Last edited by 1 FMF; 05-03-2009 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fuses. Check all fuses. Start simple.

It's unlikely, but I did that to my 4-wheeler once, and it didn't break anything, but it did blow most of the fuses.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

I connected battery posts to battery posts, I did not ground the jumper to anything other than the battery. I have not yet checked the fuses but I did think about that earlier. I will check the fuses tomorrow morning, specifically the abs fuse. I hope that is the problem. More replies would be nice, any ideas will that can help diagnose this problem are greatly appreciated.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Could this have anything to do with the body control module?
Old 05-04-2009, 11:01 AM
TECH Veteran

One thing that could happen is low voltage trouble codes. Due to what happened if these codes were set they might not immediately clear out.

Check the fuses and see if the lights go out after a couple of key ons.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Checked the fuses today, and lo and behold my ABS IGN fuse was blown. Replaced it, and BAM no more lights! Im happy right now, also the car no longer dies when coming to a stop, although I am still battling a misfire which I hope to be a faulty injector on cyl 7.
Sooo, damage done with a bad jump start - one 10a fuse and a blown pioneer CD deck. Everything with the deck works, but it seems as if I fried the CD part of the actual deck. Will not play CD's or spit out the one that is in it. Sooo I replaced that with my other pioneer, and i am back to square one now.
Now if I could just get this damn misfire figured out I would be golden.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for all the help guys, I feel like a knuckle head not having checked my fuses until today.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by question
Checked the fuses today, and lo and behold my ABS IGN fuse was blown. Replaced it, and BAM no more lights! Im happy right now, also the car no longer dies when coming to a stop, although I am still battling a misfire which I hope to be a faulty injector on cyl 7.
Sooo, damage done with a bad jump start - one 10a fuse and a blown pioneer CD deck. Everything with the deck works, but it seems as if I fried the CD part of the actual deck. Will not play CD's or spit out the one that is in it. Sooo I replaced that with my other pioneer, and i am back to square one now.
Now if I could just get this damn misfire figured out I would be golden.
what code si it throwing with that missfire? it could be the coil.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Cylinder 7 misfire, I swapped the coils of Cyl 1 and Cylinder 7 to see if the misfire moved, but it stayed put at 7.
Have already done plugs and wires, also cleaned my MAF
Old 05-04-2009, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by question
Cylinder 7 misfire, I swapped the coils of Cyl 1 and Cylinder 7 to see if the misfire moved, but it stayed put at 7.
Have already done plugs and wires, also cleaned my MAF
ok then yea the injector sounds like the culprit
Old 05-04-2009, 08:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

That is what I am hoping on, just a little iffy about swapping the injectors around as I have yet to find a right up for it. I hate diving into stuff like this blind. Have you ever done it or know of a guide that will just give me the general idea?
Old 05-04-2009, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's pretty simple. The hard part is GETTING to them. I love f-bodies, but I hate their engine bays.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NonGoggleGuy
It's pretty simple. The hard part is GETTING to them. I love f-bodies, but I hate their engine bays.
Ain't that the truth.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:24 AM
TECH Resident

This is why they invented fuses
Old 05-05-2009, 11:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hell yea, I was so worried I was going to have to replace the BCM or something.
So any pointers on where to start with the injector swapage?
Old 05-06-2009, 06:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You have to relieve pressure in the fuel system first. I'm not too sure how to do that in these cars, but a Hayne's manual will tell you. Then you disconnect the battery.

Disconnect the electrical control on the injector. The injector itself should then come out of the IM with nothing more than a little tug upward. You're probably gonna need a fuel disconnect tool to detach it from the fuel rail - makes it a lot easier. After that, you just put the new injector in the rail, plug it in, and push it into the IM.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds simple enough. I believe you bleed off the system with the schrader valve.

Quick Reply: Jump start gone wrong