General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Question about ASR

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 04:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question about ASR

Okay, I bought my car 8 months ago, and ever since I bought it, the ASR doesn't work. If I roll through gravel or something and the tires slip, it still says LOW TRAC, but the button doesn't work. The abs still works, and i'm fairly certain all the fuses are in there, but it's still not working.

Could the person who had the car before me have bypassed it somehow? If so, how would you think he did it, and how can I fix it?

It's really not a big deal, seeing as how I don't really need it that badly, it would just be nice to have for those rainy days. Besides, I bought this car after it had been wrecked, and the only things left to do for it now are to get the air bag light and the asr working again. It shows both warning lights on the dash. The security light is also on, but I don't think it's anything to worry about, yet anyway.

Any help would be awesome guys, I can't figure it out so I hope maybe someone on here has some helpful hints or experience with these kinds of problems.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's been wrecked, it could be more than 100 things.... But start with the ABS system.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So by starting with the abs system. what do you mean by that? All the fuses are in and my abs works fine. It still warns about low trac, so I was kinda thinkin there may be a short or something or the guy just had it removed somehow.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pull a rear tire, stick your head in there, and look for reluctor ring on the axle. Not sure if you'll be able to see it without pulling the rotor. If there is no reluctor ring, then the rear may have been replaced with a 3-channel unit. ASR is an option and when you don't get it you get the reluctor ring installed inside on the ring gear on the differential to control ABS on the rear. When you get ASR, your ABS can control each rear wheel separately, and also gives you the function of ASR. If the car was wrecked and they replaced the rear, they probably opted for the cheapest route, or repaired it and left the reluctors off the axles, or there's no sensors on the backing plate, or they're not plugged in or bad.
If that all checks out, then i would look into the car's computer with autotap or something so see what is has, maybe it was programmed out. I doubt that ASR would have been bypassed via cutting a wire, that'd be stupid since there's the switch to turn it off. Maybe the ASR switch on the dash is bad, pull it and manually jump the wires and see if that gets ASR working.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thnx, I am definitely gonna try that.