Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New uk member looking to do swap into Jaguar

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New uk member looking to do swap into Jaguar

Hi Guys
Just after some general advice at the moment. I'm looking at doing a swap into a Jaguar XJR. I have a supercharged straight six putting out 322BHP at the moment but i'm looking at a fair bit more, around the 500BHP mark.
Just like everyone else i want to do it for as little as possible. I should be able to get £2000 for the engine and she already has a 4L80E gearbox so i'm thinking that should still be OK with the conversion, yes /no?
Anyone want to have a go at sugesting how i should go about this/ parts / cost ect.
Yep i know shes already pretty quick , 0-60 in under 6 seconds and very low 14's in the quarter but i want MORE and i want to have that V8 sound trak again, the straight six just will never stir the soul like a V8.
Need to be sensable with the fuel consumption though, im getting 15 around town and 28-30 on a motorway and if it drops much lower that that i'll have a divorce on my hands and that would be more expencive that the car.

looking forward to chatting to you guys.

All the best

Carl
Old 05-04-2009, 10:45 AM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should be fun.

What year is the XJR?
Old 05-04-2009, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by rao
Should be fun.

What year is the XJR?
Shes an X300 1995, in my opinion the best looking model they ever made. The lowest and the last one to came with LSD as standard.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check out the normal GEN III and IV swap sites. S&P, BRP, and Jagsthatruns.com (JTR)
Old 05-04-2009, 02:44 PM
On The Tree

I'm doing a swap into a XJ-s right now. I'm using the LM7 5.3L with a 4L60e.

The older Jag's tranmissions were GM but the case was unique to the Jaguar making them non-interchangable. Is the case of your 4L60e unique to your year/series Jaguar too? You may have to use the GM transmission in your swap instead of the Jaguar's. If you have to use the GM transmission, the output is a yoke and not a flange like the Jag's so you will need a driveshaft too.

The most difficult part of the conversion was the motor mounts. I fabricated protoypes out of scrap steel, created AutoCad drawings from the prototypes and had the final versions water-jet cut and tig-welded together. It is a balancing act with getting the motor to clear the crossmember and the intake to avoid hitting the hood.

Hood (bonnet?) clearance is a problem. You probably will need to have your LSx motor configured with F-body accessories from the Camaro or Firebird to clear the intake and throttle body.

All the XJ-s and XJ6 conversions with the older small block GM motors have a problem with the exhaust interfering with the steering rack. You might too. Historically the problem has been solved with custom headers or center-dump manifolds. I'm using center dump manifolds from a C5 Corvette.

Oil pans are problematical. On the older Jags the F-body pan hits the steering rack and must be modified. A truck pan will clear the rack but hangs 3" lower. You probably will have to modify the pan and possibly the oil pick-up tube too.

All the rest of the issues have been well hashed out on this forum - wiring, PCM, fuel system, etc.

I'll have about $2K in my conversion when I'm done, including the cost of the LM7 and 4L60e.

Good luck!
Old 05-04-2009, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by bczee
Check out the normal GEN III and IV swap sites. S&P, BRP, and Jagsthatruns.com (JTR)
Had a look at Jagsthatruns.com but apart from one small bit what does the site have to do with JAGS?
Not familiar with BRP and S&P , can you give actual site names please.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by dpd069
I'm doing a swap into a XJ-s right now. I'm using the LM7 5.3L with a 4L60e.

The older Jag's tranmissions were GM but the case was unique to the Jaguar making them non-interchangable. Is the case of your 4L60e unique to your year/series Jaguar too? You may have to use the GM transmission in your swap instead of the Jaguar's. If you have to use the GM transmission, the output is a yoke and not a flange like the Jag's so you will need a driveshaft too.

The most difficult part of the conversion was the motor mounts. I fabricated protoypes out of scrap steel, created AutoCad drawings from the prototypes and had the final versions water-jet cut and tig-welded together. It is a balancing act with getting the motor to clear the crossmember and the intake to avoid hitting the hood.

Hood (bonnet?) clearance is a problem. You probably will need to have your LSx motor configured with F-body accessories from the Camaro or Firebird to clear the intake and throttle body.

All the XJ-s and XJ6 conversions with the older small block GM motors have a problem with the exhaust interfering with the steering rack. You might too. Historically the problem has been solved with custom headers or center-dump manifolds. I'm using center dump manifolds from a C5 Corvette.

Oil pans are problematical. On the older Jags the F-body pan hits the steering rack and must be modified. A truck pan will clear the rack but hangs 3" lower. You probably will have to modify the pan and possibly the oil pick-up tube too.

All the rest of the issues have been well hashed out on this forum - wiring, PCM, fuel system, etc.

I'll have about $2K in my conversion when I'm done, including the cost of the LM7 and 4L60e.

Good luck!
Thanks for the feedback , apreciated.

Please note the Jaguar XJR6 has the 4L80E fitted as standard.
How will that 4L60E handle the power your putting through it? would'nt have thought they were man enougth for the job.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

S&P = Speed and Performance = www.hotrodlane.cc
BRP = Muscule Roads or Brewer Restoration & Performance = www.brphotrods.com
Old 05-04-2009, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

Sorry, I should have scrutinized your post little better - I missed that it was 4L80e.

'60' or '80' notwithstanding, I still think the case and input/output shaft may be different than those fitted to US domestic cars and trucks - see the following website-

http://www.mez.co.uk/4l80e.html

Jags that Run does sell conversion kits, but not for the Gen 3 LSX motors, and I believe they are limited to XJ6 and XJs models.

A better option might be Andrew Weinburg at jaguarspecialties.com. He's quite knowledgeable and friendly - you might drop him a note at Andrew@JaguarSpecialties.com. He's somewhere in California. He's got a kit for the LSX to into 70-87 XJ6 (sedan and coupe) and 76-92 XJS cars - maybe you could interest him in extending his product range.

As for the 4L60e, it comes on the LS1 installed in the Camaros and Firebirds and stands to the torque of the LS1 quite well. Some do upgrade to the 4L80e, however. My 5.3L will be about 350HP at the crank, about the same as a stock LS1 and the car will weigh about the same as the Camaro, so I'm not too worried about it.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the 4L80e is a truck transmission here in the states. I think it is even used in the Hummer. The 4L80e has 2.48:1 first gear as opposed to the 3.06:1 first gear in the 4L60E, so it is more sluggish off the line.

There are plenty of 10 sec quarter mile cars running the 4L60e transmission reliably.

If gas mileage is important, you might explore the gas mileage benefits of the 4L60e for your swap, or better yet, a T56 Tremec six speed
Old 05-05-2009, 07:31 AM

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the 4L80e is a truck transmission here in the states. I think it is even used in the Hummer. The 4L80e has 2.48:1 first gear as opposed to the 3.06:1 first gear in the 4L60E, so it is more sluggish off the line.

There are plenty of 10 sec quarter mile cars running the 4L60e transmission reliably.

If gas mileage is important, you might explore the gas mileage benefits of the 4L60e for your swap, or better yet, a T56 Tremec six speed
Wanted to stick with the 4L80E for the time being as once the engine swap has been done and the bank account recovers i want a the new six speed version,6L80E i think the company name is TCI. (better low end and crusing)
http://revver.com/video/1328277/tci-...-new-6-speed-/
Old 05-05-2009, 09:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

These guys may provide some insight to you. http://www.jaguarspecialties.com/XJ6C-P1.asp

They don't currently offer swaps for the model/year car you have, but may be able to provide technical assistance.

This will not an "in-expensive" swap.

Integrating the electronics for the Jag may prove problematic.

The TCI "6-speed" is a modified 4L80e transmission, not a 6L80 trans

Oil pan and exhaust manifolds will be a fabrication items.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might be able to use your existing 4L80E - I would start by getting a picture of one out of the same year/model Jag as yours, and comparing it with one of the ones that come in the GM trucks here in the US. If your connectors are the same or even close, you might be in business.

It might not hurt to contact a transmission shop here in the US, or post something on the transmissions portion of the forum. There are some VERY knowledgable trans shop guys there that offer their insight into the mysterious world of automatic transmissions.

-Dave
Old 09-22-2009, 04:56 PM
Teching In

Sorry, I should have scrutinized your post little better - I missed that it was 4L80e.

'60' or '80' notwithstanding, I still think the case and input/output shaft may be different than those fitted to US domestic cars and trucks - see the following website-

http://www.mez.co.uk/4l80e.html
Hi!
That's my website! The Jag 4L80e and GM4L80e are the same at the back, most of my photo's show it with the tailhousing removed as I was making an adapter to fit it into a Range Rover. I sold the Jag 4L80e and obtained a GM 4L80e - which is still sat on my shed floor as I finally figured out how to make the 700R4 last in a heavy 4x4.
The are also the same as the TH400 (which was also available with a Jag bell housing - I have access to one of them if it help)

Eliot.

Quick Reply: New uk member looking to do swap into Jaguar