Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about fuel rails

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 10:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about fuel rails

I have an '02 5.3L that I converted to an LS1 intake and fuel rail setup, but I'm not entirely sure of how to set up my regulator system. I was under the assumption that all F-bodies had the regulator in the tank and ran a returnless system, but the rail that I have (supposedly from an F-body) has two fittings (although one looks like it may be a valve for pressure testing) and what looks to be a sealed regulator that has no vacuum hookup. I would like to run a returnless system if I can, since I had to cut my stock fuel lines out to do some frame patching anyway.

Basically, does anyone know if my rail has a built-in regulator that doesn't use vacuum, or do I need to run one of those corvette filters? Thanks.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The initial LS1s came with a feed + return fuel rail setup, returnless came later.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

U R most likely right, that you have a returnless rail.
1. The small "fitting" is a schraeder valve, [-4AN], for pressure testing.
2. The "regulator" is actually a pulse dampener, and will not have a vac line.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:52 PM
TECH Resident

Is there some kind of replacement fitting for the test port? It doesn't look like there is a valve in there (I've seen and tested pressures from a schrader before). I'm assuming it could have blown out or been damaged in shipping.

So I can run the Corvette regulator/filter assembly with this rail? Do they make an adjustable FPR for that setup? I plan to be going turbo eventually, so I'd like to put the adjustable one in while I'm building the car.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

What I've done in the past is take LS1 fuel rail and silver solder or weld a -6AN steel fitting to it to plumb the system in AN. The port on the end of the fuel rail should have a schrader valve in it with a plastic cap to protect the threads

If you are going to run a turbo and want to run a separate pressure regulator (you don't need to - I use the Corvette regulator on my turbo setup) the Aeromotive unit is hard to beat.(I'm using one on the car I'm building now)

The problem with the Corvette fuel filter/regulator is that by the time you buy all the adapters to AN fittings and the Corvette filter/regulator, you could have bought a nice Aeromotive regulator that was fully adjustable and stable. In addition you have a butt-load of connections which is an invitation to leaks, and leaks can lead to fire. ( For God's sake don't use rubber hose and hose clamps!)

In addition, the Corvette filter/regulator is pretty cheap as a fuel regulator, but as a filter it is damned expensive. How do you feel about spending $50 to change your fuel injection filter?

Buy the Aeromotive FPR and be done with it. Plumb a stock GM fuel injection filter in front of it that you can replace for $13 once a year.

Just my two cents
Old 05-05-2009, 08:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

"Is there some kind of replacement fitting for the test port? It doesn't look like there is a valve in there (I've seen and tested pressures from a schrader before). I'm assuming it could have blown out or been damaged in shipping."

If it's the schraeder port, there'll be a screw in valve in it. If it's not there, someone took it out to hook up a gauge. I highly doubt it "blew out, or was damaged in shipping"...
Old 05-05-2009, 09:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I did the same swap, truck intake/rail to LS1 intake/rail.
Mine came without the schrader valve too. I removed the valve and screw cap from the truck rail and used it on the LS rail.
I assume you only have one 3/8" quick disconnect port, so it uses an external regulator.
Yes, you can use the 99-02 vette filter regulator, that's what I'm using.
Cant answer about a referenced, adjustable regulator for boosted applications though.