General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Steering Wheel Shaking

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Steering Wheel Shaking

I replaced the front rotors and pads this weekend and the car now stops fine, but has other issues. The rotors were almost frozen on the hubs and required the jaws of life to remove...a really BFH and propane torch. Not sure if that could have messed up the tie rods or wheel bearing???

The steering wheel now shakes while driving at all speeds above 30mph, not when braking, just driving. The front wheels were also hard to spin after I reassembled everything, but I didn't think too much of it. Now when driving I can feel this causing a drag, like something is slightly holding the car back. The car isn't making any noises either.

I'm going to take a look at things tonight but wanted some opinions on what I could have messed up. The car has 99K on it BTW.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Teching In

the drag is probably from all of the new brake hardware being put on and not quite aligned perfectly. I would think that has probably corrected itself by now.

You could possibly have distorted the hub, you could try taking a dial caliper and check for runout on the hub which would entail taking the whole thing apart again. As a note, sometimes it is easier to cut the rotor off with a cutoff wheel and then you only need a little hammer. I suppose you might end up needing to replace the front wheel hubs, but I haven't ever actually heard of screwing them up by pounding on them. First time for me, I guess.

Sorry for not being a ton of help, just throwing ideas out there for you to think about.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:45 PM
Launching!

if i had to make a suggestion i would say it would either be a number of things. i have never heard of just one thing causing that. as far as the wheel shaking i would check the rotors, hubs, and wheels. easiest way to check the wheels is put em on a speed balancer and look for a snake wobble. as far as the drag it kind of sounds like the dual pistons in ur caliper isnt lined up just right the have to be perfectly in line. also i dont no on our car but i am sure on other vehicles if you heat up the rotors (or anything attached to axle) you may have melted the grease on the wheel bearings, but u would get some noise. it may be ever so slight and it may just pop ever so often. best way to check if its wheels bearings gone bad jack car up and grab top and bottom of tire and push and pull as to movetire.if it moves u gotta prob. most likely bearings if no noticable damage done to ball joints. hope this helps. good luck.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you used a BFH, you could've damaged the hub. Before you go buying stuff, though, jack the car back up, remove the lugnuts, and torque them all to 100lb-ft. An over- or under-tightened lugnut may cause this problem as well.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well the verdict is in. Frozen calipers on both sides. 1 of 2 pins on each caliper is literally fused inside the caliper bracket and cannot be removed. Now I just need to find where to buy a front caliper bracket, as it seems everyone only sells a rear...unless they are the same?
Old 05-05-2009, 11:48 AM
Staging Lane

you may be able to remove the brackets and heat the bracket to remove the pins(working them back and forth). Be careful though when they do end up moving sometimes the grease inside will explode.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:52 PM
On The Tree

Salvage yard is your best bet, I went through this last summer with my old Firebird!! Bought two brackets and calipers for $40
Old 05-06-2009, 05:08 PM
Launching!

i just went ahead and replaced my calipers along with the mounting brackets. at o reillys you ca buy a fully loaded caliper which comes with the caliper, mounting bracket, and decent pads. the rear are diff unfortunatly. also they are diff from side to side. i picked em up for i think $83.88 a peice plus tax. my caliper went bad on my left and the mounting bracket went bad on my right so i just did all new. dont buy one at The Chevrolet Dealership they want over a 100 dollars for just one mounting bracket.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01formula6
Well the verdict is in. Frozen calipers on both sides. 1 of 2 pins on each caliper is literally fused inside the caliper bracket and cannot be removed. Now I just need to find where to buy a front caliper bracket, as it seems everyone only sells a rear...unless they are the same?
Frozen calipers will do that to ya! Go to a salvage yard.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I ended up buying a set of caliper brackets from a board memeber for $20. He shipped them out the same day for me and will be here tomorrow. Dealership was a joke, they wanted $98 each. Thanks for the help guys, glad I got this figured out.