Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Si style/Speed Inc Alternator Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Si style/Speed Inc Alternator Help

I have tried 2 alternators and the same problem seems to be happening.

I have had the battery tested and they said its good. The positive cable was corroded bad so i cleaned it and will be using a grinder to get it totally clean.

I am hoping the problem was related to the cable but I did some searching and found that people using this alternator also have the S wire connected to the battery to read voltage.

Speed Inc has told me to only hook up the L wire to the factory red wire.

From what I understand the L wire is the excite wire and it must show 35ohms or higher on it. If it doesnt it will eventually kill the Regulator in the alternator. I believe 98 cars do not have that wire showing the resistance, but 99-02 does.

I am going to test my car today once I get the alternator back, as it is a 2000, I am hoping it does show a resistance on that wire. If it doesnt, it will eventually kill the alternator.

Most people just wire in a resister or light bulb to solve this issue on Jeep LS1 Swaps.

Some post that I have found on other forums,

Re: Overcharging Alternator (Delco 3 wire hook up)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Run the red wire (S) direct to the battery, not to the output of the alternator, and not spliced into the output wire. Make a new separate wire directly to the battery (+) terminal. That's very important if you want it to charge properly.
That's the "sense" line that determines if, and how much the battery needs to be charged. Running it anywhere else is just fooling - lying - to the regulator.

The other wire, usually white (L), but sometimes brown, goes to the idiot light. If you don't have a light, you need to go to a Radio Shack, get a 10 or 15 Ohm, 1 Watt resistor and a 10 amp Diode.
Wire it from that white (or brown) wire on the new connector to the diode - put that wire on the "cathode" or stripe end.
Put the other end of the diode to the resistor.
Put the other end of the resistor to IGN (+).

That wire energizes the field in the alternator. Without it the alternator has trouble getting started charging. The diode prevents it from backfeeding the ignition - making it impossible to shut the engine off.

--------------------------------
Old 05-21-2009, 12:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replaced all cables with new 1/2 Gauge cable. Seems to have resolved the issue. The factory cables were corroded bad on the inside.