Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do You Think A Cage Ruined Your Street Car???

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 01:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do You Think A Cage Ruined Your Street Car???

I have been thinking about adding a roll cage to my car. I don't drag race alot, but plan on doing some road racing. I talked to a few buddies of mine and they said that having a cage ruined their street cars and they would never do it again. One of my buddies doesn't have a choice since his car is running bottom 10s and will soon break into the 9s, but he said that he will never do it again and just run until he gets kicked off the track then just go somewhere else to race.

But in your opinion is a cage too much for a street car? I like the idea because it would make the car way stiffer, and it adds alot of saftey even for a street car. But let me know your thoughts
Old 05-05-2009, 01:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

If you rarely go to the track I wouldn't add a cage, there have been a few cases where they did more harm than good in a street car...

There is no reason to add one until you break the 11.49s. Even then if you don't frequent the track much you can get a couple runs in before they kick you out.

Plus since you don't go to the track that much it will take a while to get black balled from there until you have a cage unless they are super strict and remember the car...
Old 05-05-2009, 01:55 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This should be a good debate. So will the debate of putting a 3 Speed in a street car, how long until the owner sells it.

Personally I am a fan of Safety and having that extra protection could mean the difference between life or death, especially with the power these cars make whether it is on the street or the track.

Now there are some knuckle heads that just street race. Ocassionally going to the track with out meeting the NHRA required safety equipment and try to run the car knowing they will be kicked out, or sand bag from the 1/8th to the 1/4 and even then sometimes bad things can happen.

People do as they please, so I expect nothing to change but if your going to the track knowing you have a 10 second car running no safety equipment, your a moron. If you get hurt, you deserve it, and if you make me wait in the staging lanes while they clean up your pile of crap, I will be even more pissed off.

/rant

So moving on I think cars should be "built" with a desired time in mind, I think it was good that they shaved 1/2 second off the 11.99 or quicker but still if your aiming for 11.49 or quicker, build it right or dont go to the track. Buy a GPS or get a friend with a radar gun to figure it out. Silder rulers still work.

Personally I do toil with this question because this car is nice, clean, and I havent gone fast enough to need a cage, yet. but it is in the works and I think A cage will ruin the car. So if I run, it will probably be N/A and just making sure the Nitrous runs correct but never go to the track to spray.

Lastly if a car runs at best of 11.55 @ 120 mph, and you cant do better, your fine, a cage will add weight and make you slower so until your at least 1 tenth quicker then 11.49 your not going to "need" it.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get a cage. u cant put a price on ur safety

just get one with removeable door bars.... problem solved
Old 05-05-2009, 02:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my cage. only a 6 point with removable doors though. Even with the crossbar the backseat is accessible just a pain to get in and out of. IMO no removable door bars is what would ruin a street car that's driven a lot. Couldn't see being in a parking lot and messing with door bars all the time.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:09 PM
10 Second Club

I got tired of getting one run in at the track and being asked to slow down or leave so I put in a 6 point with removable door bars. I would never do it again on a car I expect to drive on the street alot. It's added safety for the track, when you have a helmet, but on the street you have more of a chance of being injured by it than having it help any. Good luck,

Larry
Old 05-05-2009, 03:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VIPRETR2
I got tired of getting one run in at the track and being asked to slow down or leave so I put in a 6 point with removable door bars. I would never do it again on a car I expect to drive on the street alot. It's added safety for the track, when you have a helmet, but on the street you have more of a chance of being injured by it than having it help any. Good luck,

Larry
that's a good point, i never thought of that before
Old 05-05-2009, 03:57 PM
11 Second Club

im debating this too
Old 05-05-2009, 04:03 PM
10 Second Club

get the cage safety first here ,you want to go fast have the safety equipment to back it up JMO
Old 05-05-2009, 04:06 PM
CARTEK Racing

I have a 6 point in my car with swing outs. I have never felt that it ruined the car for me... If anything, the door bad gives me a place to rest my elbo since I find the hand rest on the rood to be too low while holding the steering wheel... lol

The only problem I see with it is getting into the back seat. But then again, the back seat in an F-Body is so shity to begin with, I would not put anyone in there even without the bar. Another silly problem is that the pins that hold in the swing outs rattle at some speeds... but then again, thats not the fault of the bar, just the little pull rung on the pins...

My GF, does not mind it either, usualy she wont even open up the door bar, unless she is wearing a skirt that is

At the end of the day, its safety. I had the bar installed when the car ran 11.32 in 2003 [when the rule was 11.99 for a 5 point bar] Car has since gone faster, I never get kicked out of the track, and I always feel safe.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:10 PM
Launching!

Ive got a 6 point with welded door bars and it never bothers me when im gettting in or out to drive...girls bitch a little when they have to climb over it...the only time it sucks is when im doing any work that requires me in and out a lot, like pulling wires under the dash...then its a pita
Old 05-05-2009, 05:32 PM
FormerVendor

i have the wolfe six point roll bar, also got the dual swing outs. They were probably a waste of money as i dont think ive ever opened them. im 6'0 220, and i have no problems at all getting in and out. Wolfe has a low swinging door bar, so its pretty easy.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

8 pt here with swing outs and love it. SAFETY first.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:38 PM
11 Second Club

i had the wolfe roll bar with the low slung door bars for a couple years. the only reason i took it out is cause it was weighing the car down.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CamaroRacing12
get a cage. u cant put a price on ur safety

just get one with removeable door bars.... problem solved
exactly
Old 05-05-2009, 06:57 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I didn't even bother with swingouts when I just had the 6 pt, and now with the 10 pt I don't think it would ruin the car at all.

Only reason I don't cruise mine anymore is because I am too worried about the careless driver wrecking all the hard work and $ I have tied up in the car now. If the other idiots on the road cousl just not run lights, cut people off, make left turns in front of oncoming traffic and all the other stupid crap that happens on the main strip where our local cruising is done I'd still drive the car around, and lay the smack down on people that like to talk ****

Just have no intrest in taking the chance of something happening to the car at this point.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:17 PM
TECH Junkie

does the SFI padding help on a car that is mostly steet use or is it a waste of money?

I just wouldn't want to put in a cage in only to have my head crack like an egg if I ever wrecked on the street- as I don't wear a helmet on the street.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:21 PM
11 Second Club

I put a 6pt in mine with removable swingouts. http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...mg_6931jpg.jpg
Other than having to watch your foot when you get out, you hardly notice it on the street (bars in trunk).
With the bars in, it's a bit of a pain for big guys like me to get in and out (thus the swingouts)

It's not so much a matter of getting kicked out at the track, it's for your own safety.
Besides, it looks cool.
If you're going to street race, you should be very conscious about protecting yourself.

Padding is required anywhere a driver's head can make contact.
That's a requirement for 10-pt cages (not 6-pt rollbars)
Old 05-05-2009, 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by black01_WS6
does the SFI padding help on a car that is mostly steet use or is it a waste of money?

I just wouldn't want to put in a cage in only to have my head crack like an egg if I ever wrecked on the street- as I don't wear a helmet on the street.
With a 6pt there isn't really anywhere for your head to hit it. it means no more people in the back seat though. with a 10 pt its a different story though since your head could hit
Old 05-05-2009, 09:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I dont think hitting your head on the bar is going to be any more painful than hitting your head on the windshield or A pillar. With that said, people who wine about roll bars in their cars need to sack up.

Quick Reply: Do You Think A Cage Ruined Your Street Car???