General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How do I fix this? Windshield trim leaking.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs down How do I fix this? Windshield trim leaking.

Last week I found the carpet between the driver's seat and the driver side rear passenger seat was wet. I thought it was my t-top leaking. I knew it leaked a little bit under high pressure during the high pressure rinse in drive through car washes, but I knew it had never leaked a drop when I drove it in the rain. The trim on my t-tops checked out and I thought maybe I didn't close the door all the way or something. I dried out the rear carpet and moved on.

Well today I lifted my front driver side floor mat and found mildew and fungus growing under it and that it was very wet underneath the floor mat. I started looking around for what was obviously a HUGE leak and I think I found it.

The trim appeared okay at a glance but as soon as I touched it, it fell off.

Above this at the top of the windshield the stripping seems fine and was solid when I tested it. It's just the bottom 75% on the driver side.

So, how do I repair this? Can I just clean out all the gunk and corrosion from inside the stripping and re-caulk it?

What caulk should I use?

Are there any write-ups with pictures about this?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by LS1nterceptor; 05-06-2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:24 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Its pretty easy really, you just need to be VERY VERY careful not to touch the edge of the glass with any tools. You can easily start a "run" in the glass by touching it or pulling a chip along the edge. The weakest part of any auto glass, is the edges.

I used to replace and repair autoglass when I was just out of high school for a couple years.

If I were you, I would take that to a glass shop. I can't see them charging you more than $30.00 to fix it, but it'll be done right and they will be responsible if it breaks. Just make damn sure to go over that entire side, inside and out, visually, and show them the glass is perfect before they start work on it.

To do it yourself. You simply need a flat head screwdriver, maybe a few with different width heads. Then start cleaning all the old crap out of there. Also, clean the rubber strip of the old urethane glue.Then a tube of urethane and a chaulking gun. You will then fill the track all along the glass and side post. Then lay the rubber back down. Then tape with masking tape, overnight.

Take a picture from a little further away so I can see the whole area at once.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

Here are some more pictures of that side.

Here is a picture of the passenger side for comparison sake. So far the passenger side hasn't ever leaked.

Does the position of the passenger side trim look correct?

If I can find someone to do it for a reasonable price I'll probably have them do it. I'd like to do it myself but I can't afford to have it leak like that again. It was BAD inside. I might have a shop go over the entire windshield to be sure.

(Yep, it's dirty as hell. It lives outside and it's been raining. And apparently the local birds have taken an interest in it.)

EDIT: Oops, I messed up the links. All better now.

Last edited by LS1nterceptor; 05-06-2009 at 12:44 AM.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Banned

pics not working
Old 05-05-2009, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

I had some issues right about the time you posted, but I can see them now.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:59 PM
Banned

still not visible. Just a photobucket message that the photos have been moved or deleted.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:46 AM
On The Tree

*sigh* Okay, fixed them. Again. Not sure what's going on but I checked in on my wife's user and they were visible. Hope this work. I've never had a problem with Photobucket before.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:14 AM
Banned

There they are, I see them now. It was just those little photobucket warning signs.

Has that windshield ever been replaced? That moulding can be pulled completely off and it has nothing to do with the windshield and the urethane that holds the glass in place. It still should not leak with that moulding gone.

Looks like it has. Passengers side, top corner, of the rubber moulding for the windshield looks like its coming up.

Alot of times when F-Body (1998+) windshields are replaced they are not centered properly and the side with the bigger gap usually comes loose like yours did.

Either way, a glass shop can fix that in 30 minutes, if that old urethane comes off the rubber moulding. It should on a real hot day. You could also redo the entire moulding. You might want them to peel some of the top portion (drivers side) back while they're at so they make sure they get the leak. It could be coming from the top corner or a few inches from that corner on the top, and running down and inside, and it may appear its coming in from the side of the glass. Just to be sure.

Tips: don't slam the door for the first 24 hours after the new urethane is put on. It can blast a hole in the wet urethane and it may cure that way, then it'll leak again. Don't let them use sealer, just use urethane and make sure the guy smooths it out with a stick so it fills all the holes in.

Too bad you don't live near me, I'd fix it for ya for nothing in 30 minutes.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Take it to a glass shop if you dont know what to do. They will take care of that no problem. It happened on my Grand Am and my insurance even covered it!!

Quick Reply: How do I fix this? Windshield trim leaking.