Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What does the adjustable stop on a BPV do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 06:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default What does the adjustable stop on a BPV do?

I just got a Procharger Pro-Flo BPV for my 8# P1SC F-body which I think comes standard with the D1SC kit.
http://www.procharger.com/store/inde...lo&act=viewCat

I currently have the stock unit installed and I am pretty sure that it is stock for the P1SC. When under vacumm, it will open all the way up. The Pro Flo under vacumm is adjusted so that it will only open a third of the way.

My question is, what is the purpose of having an adjuster that limits the travel of the butterfly? Obviously it will only will effect the bypassing when the vehicle is not at WOT.

Where do I adjust it to?

Do I set it so that it opens all the way up?

Will partial opening create more noise and surge?

Thanks

Last edited by 9t8z28; 05-05-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the red race bypass and I have used the adjustment to make it close completely. Don't know if they do the same thing (your vs mine) but mine is open prety far when in vacume and when you pull the vac line while in idle you should not feel any air comming out of the bypass. http://mycarpics.shutterfly.com/219
Old 05-06-2009, 06:24 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by conan
I have the red race bypass and I have used the adjustment to make it close completely. Don't know if they do the same thing (your vs mine) but mine is open prety far when in vacume and when you pull the vac line while in idle you should not feel any air comming out of the bypass. http://mycarpics.shutterfly.com/219
Sounds to me like you are refering to a blow off valve and not a bypass valve?
Old 05-06-2009, 07:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 9t8z28
Sounds to me like you are refering to a blow off valve and not a bypass valve?
What I have is a bypass NOT a blowoff.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:15 PM
11 Second Club

What I have is a bypass NOT a blowoff.
Then how do you feel air coming out of it?
Old 05-06-2009, 06:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

When the car is running in idle the engine is in vacume and the bypass is open blowing the boosted air to the atmosphere. I dont have my bypass going back to the head unit. So when you are putting yours on leave the hose to the blower hat off. Start your car and put your hand over the hose. You should feel alot of air blowing out. Then take the vacume line going to the bypass and pull it off. This should close the bypass and you should feel no air comming out. If you do that is why you have the adjustment nut your asking about. This is what I put my hand over to feel the air comming out... See attach file.
Attached Thumbnails What does the adjustable stop on a BPV do?-bypass.jpg  

Last edited by conan; 05-06-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:23 PM
11 Second Club

When the car is running in idle the engine is in vacume and the bypass is open blowing the boosted air to the ?atmosphere?. I dont have my bypass going back to the head unit. So when you are putting yours on leave the hose to the blower hat off. Start your car and put your hand over the hose. You should feel alot of air blowing out. Then take the vacume line going to the bypass and pull it off. This should close the bypass and you should feel no air comming out. If you do that is why you have the adjustment nut your asking about. This is what I put my hand over to feel the air comming out... See attach file.
O.K., now I kind of understand what you are doing but why are you venting to atmosphere? Why not recirulate?

I didn't know that Procharger makes a BPV like you have.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 9t8z28
O.K., now I kind of understand what you are doing but why are you venting to atmosphere? Why not recirulate?

I didn't know that Procharger makes a BPV like you have.
Yup its the race bypass for 10+ #'s off boost. I didn't run it back to the head unit because I did not want to mess with the plumbing back to the blower hat, I like the pshhh sound it makes when I shift gears and I dont want to put hot air back in to the blower.
Attached Thumbnails What does the adjustable stop on a BPV do?-car3-009.jpg   What does the adjustable stop on a BPV do?-car3-001.jpg   What does the adjustable stop on a BPV do?-more-car-016.jpg  

Last edited by conan; 05-06-2009 at 09:57 PM.

Quick Reply: What does the adjustable stop on a BPV do?