Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P2V clearance on MTI stage2 LS6 & X1

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 12:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default P2V clearance on MTI stage2 LS6 & X1

After a recent problem with 1 of my heads I had to remove it tonight to send it back for repair. when I first bought this combo I knew the P2V was VERY tight. But when I got the head off tonight I noticed on the top of every piston a very small mark, definately from a valve on them. It is very small but still there. Upon inspection of the valves they seemed to be alright. I am guessing this may have been caused by possibly floating the valves once or twice while on the road course.

The mark is no longer than 1/4 inch, maybe smaller. And probably at an immeasurable depth. I am guessing everything is fine. But then again I am FAR from an authority on LS1 motors.

Can I get some of you big dogs with more knowledge than myself to tell me if this is going to be a problem in the future.

TIA
Old 11-01-2003, 08:58 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will only take a few hours to cut reliefs for the valves. I would take off at least .010" just to be sure.
Old 11-01-2003, 02:25 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

This news is going to suck, but if you have marks in those pistons from PV contact, then you need to pull the other head and have them BOTH inspected by a head/machine shop. More than likely you have bent some valves, which may not me visible to the naked eye. Those heads need to be checked with a micrometer, as well as the valves.

While building the motor I have now, I degreed the cam in incorrectly the first time, went to adjust the valves, and tapped some valves against the pistons. Every valve I tapped was bent, and the motor wasn't even running. Do yourself a favor before you put that thing completely back together and check both the heads.

Josh
Old 11-11-2003, 12:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damian is right. You probably bent some valves, very slightly, but bent none-the-less.