Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips for installing a 4l60e (my first time)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 07:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips for installing a 4l60e (my first time)

well i already pulled the tranny an bout to ship it tomorrow... are there any tips for putting it back in. gettin it out i had trouble with the bellhousing hitting the top of the body above the transmission. are there any slick little tricks to put it back in
Old 05-06-2009, 12:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i was wondering the same thing...I have to install my new trans and I was hoping someone would ask this question.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:22 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jag81
well i already pulled the tranny an bout to ship it tomorrow... are there any tips for putting it back in. gettin it out i had trouble with the bellhousing hitting the top of the body above the transmission. are there any slick little tricks to put it back in
Its pretty much just muscleing it back in... I guess the main part is not to smash the pump tabs. Need to make sure the verter is seated properly before mounting it to the block. If its not, your screwed.

You can try and lift the front of the motor up to get a better angle on the dowl pins.. once you have them on the pins its pretty much in place.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

make sure you put the dowell pins in the engine block if they came out with the trans. lubricate the pins before you try to put the trans back on. this will save you some cussing.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:48 PM
Teching In

thanks for the answers this is my first time and i took the trans off with out the converter cuz i could not get the bolts off with the tranny on and right now im still havin a hell of a time. i got 2 off but i stripped the first one tryin any ideas on gettin it off? also how do you seat the converter. extra detail would be appreciated thanks
Old 05-06-2009, 08:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

i used a 3 foot extension to get a straight shot at the bolts. with a 1/2 inch ratchet. The ratchet sat right in front of the radiator. then i slid a pipe over the ratchet. had my friend brace the flywheel with a big *** pry bar. then i cracked those bolts hard. doing it the right way first makes it easier cause we half stripped one figuring out this method. good thing the next up size bit did the trick.

if its already stripped....hmm... cut the bolt off?
Old 05-06-2009, 09:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, lubricate the pins I will say is probably the easiest thing to do that will help out the most. If you lube them up the tranny will slide right on them and then you can just throw some bolts in and you are all set. Like already mentioned, make sure you get the converter seated on the input shaft properly before you try puting the tranny up and in. If the tranny will not go in and something just seems wrong, bring it back down and double check everything, don't force it and for the love of god don't try "drawing" it in with the bolts. If everything is right it should just go right in without any problems.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:12 PM
10 Second Club

The converter has like 2 or 3 detents when your seating it, so even if it feels like it seated double and triple check. I used a 3lb plastic mallet or we call them dead blow mallets and tapped the convertor as I turned it.

Than when you get the trans lined up and start the bolts every couple of turns reach in thru the starter mount and turn the convertor, if the convertor binds against the flexplate it's not seated and if you continue further your going to ruin the pump.