General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Leaves getting sucked into a/c air ducts

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 03:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaves getting sucked into a/c air ducts

I searched but found nothing on this. When I have the a/c or heater going sometimes I hear this sound like paper hitting a fan. Well a year back my flywheel cracked because of a starter actuator(or whatever the thing is called that engages the starter to flywheel) got stuck.

My car was under warranty (still is), and when I took it in I asked them to fix the a/c too thinking it was a defect. It turned out to be leaves in the a/c ducts and payed a $125 for them to get them out

I wasn't too mad because the dealer did fix my car, they did have to take the dash apart (not sure how hard that is?) and I got 2X the value of warranty in service

anyways back to the leaves, my (former) service adviser said to just keep the leaves from accumulating on the car. I told him my car is mostly garage kept, I didn't bury the car in leaves or anything. I was wondering WTF? how did leaves get in there? I looked at the ducts in front of the windshield and there are 3 big gaps, 2 by both of the bases of the windshield wipers, and one by the passenger side windshield sprayer. Now since all the leaves had been taken out last year it's happening again, I kept the windshield as clear as possible, but we have a bunch of oak trees at our house and I can't watch it continuously.

What should I do to get the leaves out? Attempt to take apart the dash? Or take the panel out at the base of the windshield and go in through that way?

And what about those gaps? Should I get some wire mesh to fill them in like the rest of the ducts are?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Any help would be appreciated

I can put up pictures of the gaps later if I'm not too busy if anybody wants to see
Old 05-06-2009, 07:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of car?
Old 05-06-2009, 09:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had the same issue with the leaves. Go under the passenger side dash and unhook the electrical connector to the blower, then remove the 3 screws holding it in. The motor/cage fan pulls out of the box as a unit. If it's only a few I run the blower on the highest setting for a few minutes.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:20 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NonGoggleGuy
What kind of car?
the one in my signature
2002 Camaro SS
Old 05-06-2009, 11:23 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
I've had the same issue with the leaves. Go under the passenger side dash and unhook the electrical connector to the blower, then remove the 3 screws holding it in. The motor/cage fan pulls out of the box as a unit. If it's only a few I run the blower on the highest setting for a few minutes.
ok thanks that's awesome

what about those gaps and keeping the leaves out? any suggestions, well besides just keeping leaves off my car which I already do
Old 05-06-2009, 12:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Must have the same species oak I have, leaves are small. I've even pulled ones sticking out from between the cowling and the windshield, and in the spring those brown "stringy" things get everywhere, even under the hood. Don't know what the solution is, I just keep my car cover on in the spring and fall as much as I can.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
Must have the same species oak I have, leaves are small. I've even pulled ones sticking out from between the cowling and the windshield, and in the spring those brown "stringy" things get everywhere, even under the hood. Don't know what the solution is, I just keep my car cover on in the spring and fall as much as I can.
Yeah that's exactly the oak I have

Thanks for your help, if anybody else has any suggestions, please pitch in. I'm going to see if I can come up with something to block some of the leaves from getting in through the gaps

I'll post when I do, along with those pics a little later
Old 05-06-2009, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How is that car still under warranty? Did you buy it from the warranty store?
Old 05-06-2009, 02:50 PM
Staging Lane

How is that car still under warranty? Did you buy it from the warranty store?
Beck&Masten Pontiac Buick GMC sold it to me as a GM Certified Used car in August of 2006. I bought the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty

They actually weren't supposed to certify it, but they sold it to me saying it was and actually it wasn't. I had bought the car and the warranty already so I made them certify it

or they take the car back, which I actually didn't want to do
Old 05-06-2009, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tommy 35 SS
Beck&Masten Pontiac Buick GMC sold it to me as a GM Certified Used car in August of 2006. I bought the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty

They actually weren't supposed to certify it, but they sold it to me saying it was and actually it wasn't. I had bought the car and the warranty already so I made them certify it

or they take the car back, which I actually didn't want to do
Wow!! What a deal! I just bought a brand new car and barely talked them into an extended warranty.

Anyways, just like these guys said... undo the bolts where the fan is under the glove box, and free the leaves. Hopefully, you'll get them all. Sometimes, they get stuck before the fan, and the fan sucks them in; so you may be doing this again later on.

Good luck.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:25 PM
Staging Lane

Wow!! What a deal! I just bought a brand new car and barely talked them into an extended warranty.

Anyways, just like these guys said... undo the bolts where the fan is under the glove box, and free the leaves. Hopefully, you'll get them all. Sometimes, they get stuck before the fan, and the fan sucks them in; so you may be doing this again later on.

Good luck.
thanx both of y'all were a lot of help

Quick Reply: Leaves getting sucked into a/c air ducts