View Full Version : Prospective Owner in DFW

ulakovic22
05-06-2009, 08:20 AM
Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a CTS-V and am test driving one later this week. It's a 2006 Black/Black up in Plano for $23K. It's not a CPO because of the mileage, which is 61K. Looking at NADA, etc. it seems to be inline with clean retail price, but wanted to get ya'll's thoughts. Even if I like the car I'm not going to pay $23K unless it's OTD and even then it's iffy. Any opinions or suggestions on what to look out for are appreciated.

Thanks,
Anthony

nikon
05-06-2009, 09:16 AM
Like any car check the seat bolts for rust, the pedals on these cars all seem to rust up a bit for whatever reason, and a clunk in the drivetrain...if it clunks it's a bad bushing on the diff...it's a fairly cheap fix but it could help you drive the price down...you can check the rear C pillar covers to see if they're loose at all, again another easy fix with some washers, but they tend to break off if you drive high speed with the back windows down...check the rims for scratches too, tire shops tend to gouge them due to the run-flat tires....otherwise, check it over like a normal car...it sounds like a good deal, y'know except for being the slow color :)

also pay attention when you shut it down, this car does rumble a bit when you shut it down, but if it's excessive the motor mounts could be bad....basically if it sounds like it's dieseling the mounts are bad.

forgot one more thing, look around the sun roof for creases, usually a sign it's been tracked.

jerrycecco
05-06-2009, 09:55 AM
Another DFW V....excellent...
I live in Allen
2004 black CTSV 68k,
some mods: sway bars, B&M, Mich PS2, W4M, xpipe, K&N CAI
are you planning to bring to open track?

jerrycecco@tx.rr.com

jerrad
05-06-2009, 10:20 AM
Nikon said it well. A couple more things I would add is check the trans and see if it goes into reverse easy. Some times R is a pain. Look at the radio knobs and if they're peeling have the dealer replace. Make sure the CD player works(adanieljohnson). Make sure the car has the Nav disc in the top slot.

nikon
05-06-2009, 10:55 AM
I think the reverse issue is just the crap stock shifter with too much play...if you find it hard to get into first after coming to a stop, don't be alarmed, it's just typical t56...double clutch or pop it in second first and it'll slide right in.

thought of something else, check the info panel on the dash...where it shows, oil pres. tire pres., etc... there will be a G meter...it can be cleared, but if it hasn't been cleared could be a good indication of previous owners driving habits.

-T-
05-06-2009, 11:29 AM
For the reverse issue. I put it in fifth before reverse. Works excellent for my tranny. Although... check your reverse lockout solenoid. Mine is intermittent. I took a trip to OKC from Waco and down shifting to fifth on a pass has put me in R grinding at least half the time. I have gotten pretty weary about shifting to fifth now since it this happened.

jerrad
05-06-2009, 11:35 AM
I think the reverse issue is just the crap stock shifter with too much play...if you find it hard to get into first after coming to a stop, don't be alarmed, it's just typical t56...double clutch or pop it in second first and it'll slide right in.

Mine happened after the katech install too. Before I'd have to lift the clutch then do it again and it would work everytime. The dealer put a new trans in for that issue though.

ulakovic22
05-06-2009, 11:44 AM
I have experience with T56's from my f-body days so I don't think that will be an issue. Does the Caddy come with skip shift as well? Is the LS2 the same one in the Vette's for the most part? Friend has a stock bottom end motor he beats on regularly and he has been very impressed with it. Any issues related to the revised rear diff the CTSV got in 2006? Any motor related issues with common leaks?

jerrad
05-06-2009, 12:06 PM
Yes they have Cags. You can get the eliminator for like 15 bux or you can get a tune that will disable it too.

adanieljohnson1
05-06-2009, 12:07 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a CTS-V and am test driving one later this week. It's a 2006 Black/Black up in Plano for $23K. It's not a CPO because of the mileage, which is 61K. Looking at NADA, etc. it seems to be inline with clean retail price, but wanted to get ya'll's thoughts. Even if I like the car I'm not going to pay $23K unless it's OTD and even then it's iffy. Any opinions or suggestions on what to look out for are appreciated.

Thanks,
Anthony

I test drove the same car up at Sewell! They will not nagotiate on the price what so ever and pretty much laughed me out of the office! 20 minutes later I bought a 05 V w/ 40k miles for 19K plus all the fees which topped the purchase at 22K. Its a nice car but for 23K you should look for something with less mileage! I got my V for thousands less then what the local dealerships are asking becuase I went thru a dealership in another state and just paid to have the car shipped($485 dollars). You better believe that I called Kelly(sewell dealer) back and let her know that I just purchased a car with 20k less miles for 4K less then they were asking for and all I had to do was pay $485 dollars to do it!!! They really pissed me off so be carefull with Sewell

ulakovic22
05-06-2009, 12:16 PM
Yeah Kelly is the same lady that called me back about the car. You and I are on the same wave length. Unless it's less than 23K out the door I'm not interested, I'm surprised that she won't move at all, esp. when they have 2 others with less mileage for the same price. Did you drive the Silver one as well? I think she was talking about you when she was telling me how great the 2006 model was.

jerrycecco
05-06-2009, 12:38 PM

Thanks,
Anthony

-------------------
Get VIN# the call another dealer service department.
They should be able to tell you all GM (nation wide) service that was done
and you'll know where the car came from...

--Jerry

adanieljohnson1
05-06-2009, 12:44 PM
Yeah Kelly is the same lady that called me back about the car. You and I are on the same wave length. Unless it's less than 23K out the door I'm not interested, I'm surprised that she won't move at all, esp. when they have 2 others with less mileage for the same price. Did you drive the Silver one as well? I think she was talking about you when she was telling me how great the 2006 model was.

Ya, they had a 2005 w/ 43K miles that I drove! They both drive nice but I would suggest looking at this site! You can also have the car shipped if you like the price and the dealership WILL do EVERYTHING over the phone/fax!!! I speak from experiance...

http://autotrader.autos.msn.com/fyc/searchresults.jsp?doors=&systime=&position=top&model=CTS&search_lang=en&style_flag=1&start_year=2004&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&search_type=used&highlightFirstMakeModel=&distance=0&min_price=&rdm=1241628201182&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=y&fuel=&keywords_display=&end_year=2007&color3=&showZipError=n&make2=&certified=&engine=8+Cylinder&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=0&transmission=&default_sort=distance&max_mileage=&address=75035&color=&max_price=23000&color2=&awsp=false&make=CAD&seller_type=b&num_records=25&sort_type=mileageASC

TopV
05-06-2009, 01:44 PM
06-07 have real strut tower braces too!

adanieljohnson1
05-06-2009, 03:33 PM
06-07 have real strut tower braces too!

Didnt we already talk about this? Remember? the coathanger is used to get our keys out!!!!!! jeez louis....:eyes:

jmoody66
05-06-2009, 03:41 PM
Drive up to the dealership in your new ride and mock em.....better yet ask for the top dawg and tell him your little people made you miss a sell....in these hard times they need to know that ripping your head off is not an option. I tried to buy an 05 Cadillac XLR from some dealership in Grapevine.....they wouldnt budge.....flew to Houston that Saturday and picked up the same exact car with 2k miles more for $4000.00 less! I did drive it back up and make mockery of Zach the sales idiot and his dumbass manager.....FUN

ulakovic22
05-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Ok, well doesn't look like I'm going to be a proud V owner anytime soon. I asked for service records of the car because I didn't want to pay a premium for a used car from a dealer just to turnaround and spend $$ to service the 40K and 50K scheduled maintenance. She calls me back and tells me that the car sold last night. Probably is the truth, but the timing makes me chuckle. If anyone knows of a 2006+ Black V, let me know.

99CamVanillaTop
05-06-2009, 05:03 PM
Ok, well doesn't look like I'm going to be a proud V owner anytime soon. I asked for service records of the car because I didn't want to pay a premium for a used car from a dealer just to turnaround and spend $$ to service the 40K and 50K scheduled maintenance. She calls me back and tells me that the car sold last night. Probably is the truth, but the timing makes me chuckle. If anyone knows of a 2006+ Black V, let me know.

I called about it today and It is sold.

Ima keep track of these vehicles and see how long they sit on there lot since they wont Lower there price. I talked to some guy named Jay I believe.

jmoody66
05-06-2009, 06:34 PM

I dont know if your dead set on that car but have you considered a Cadillac XLR or XLR-V? You rarely see em on the road, it was the test bed for the new C6 Vette lineup so it has EVERYTHING including flared out fenders which makes it look mean, push button start, cruise control that takes over if you run up on another car, NAV, backup radar, bunch o other shit, its a hard top convertible and it still has a V8 but is not too aftermarket friendly for I beleive they only made around 3700 world wide. Very unique and if you want someone to say something about how nice your car is....this is the car. Its an attention whore. The ride....well its all about quite and smooth. Luxury import owners just stare.
Just my 02. If your in the DFW area I would gladly let you drive mine cuz you wont want the CTS-V after driving this thing.

TopV
05-06-2009, 08:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j4SrHUsflc
heres 1 of 3699...a bunch of walking dead. geezus christmas!
the xlr-v can't hang with mikenice's cts-v-t !!!!!
turbo beats s/c every time.

lol

itsslow98
05-06-2009, 10:01 PM
turbo wont beat s/c everytime, as a matter of fact how many turbo funny cars have you ever seen in your life?

the xlr is quite nice but is definetly more old manish. but you cant beat the options i will agree with that. although insurance is probably 5 times as much.

TopV
05-06-2009, 10:06 PM
turbo's are outlawed you buttnut!!

it's an unfair advantage.

turbo+1

jmoody66
05-06-2009, 11:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j4SrHUsflc
heres 1 of 3699...a bunch of walking dead. geezus christmas!
the xlr-v can't hang with mikenice's cts-v-t !!!!!
turbo beats s/c every time.

lol

Well I didnt mean it as a whos car is gonna beat whose car, I have an 02 TT Z06 with a forged 402 being tuned for 14 lbs of boost.....will that do the trick to Mikenices CTS-V-T? I dunno....dont really care but in my opinion, and it doesnt count for shit, I think the XLR is way more on the bad ass looking side and put em side by side and you will get more inquirys into the XLR all day long. Its all a matter of choices and dont get me wrong....CTS-V's are the bomb especially with aftermarket exhaust tips pokin out.

jmoody66
05-06-2009, 11:50 PM
turbo wont beat s/c everytime, as a matter of fact how many turbo funny cars have you ever seen in your life?

the xlr is quite nice but is definetly more old manish. but you cant beat the options i will agree with that. although insurance is probably 5 times as much.

Please dont tell my 32 year old wife that she jacked me for an old manish car....I wouldnt want to have to drive it. Insurance did bust me a bit....My 02 Z06 is only 85 month, my 02 Silverado Crewcab HD is 88, wifes 03 turbo beetle is 88....and that XLR is 120....so yeah its kind crappy. Allstate sd its cuz the parts are verrrrry high which I would assume is because of the limited production.

Oh and I tell you what...we hang out at Hooters and you wouldnt believe how many little 20 year old waitresses drool over the car and ask us to drive it.....if I were single Id bet I could snag lots of young coochie in that thing...no kidding.

adanieljohnson1
05-07-2009, 10:33 AM
Please dont tell my 32 year old wife that she jacked me for an old manish car....I wouldnt want to have to drive it. Insurance did bust me a bit....My 02 Z06 is only 85 month, my 02 Silverado Crewcab HD is 88, wifes 03 turbo beetle is 88....and that XLR is 120....so yeah its kind crappy. Allstate sd its cuz the parts are verrrrry high which I would assume is because of the limited production.

Oh and I tell you what...we hang out at Hooters and you wouldnt believe how many little 20 year old waitresses drool over the car and ask us to drive it.....if I were single Id bet I could snag lots of young coochie in that thing...no kidding.

Hahahaha, you said coochie:D

sorry, that made me chuckle!!!!

What hooters do you hang at? I've got a crew that lives up at the hooters on Beltline and the Dallas North Tollway... We also chill at All the local spots in Addison too..

jmoody66
05-07-2009, 10:38 AM
Hahahaha, you said coochie:D

sorry, that made me chuckle!!!!

What hooters do you hang at? I've got a crew that lives up at the hooters on Beltline and the Dallas North Tollway... We also chill at All the local spots in Addison too..

Hangin at the Hooters in N Richland Hills off 820 now but used to hang in the Frisco area when I worked as a consultant for good ol Dr. Pepper....now Im on the "other side".
I want your grille....I wish CTS-V parts were interchangeable. They are both pimp cars! LOL

SilveradoSS500
05-07-2009, 01:24 PM
I'm in DFW and I would consider myself alittle V expert! I wouldn't mind going with you to check some V's out! I also am in the market for a V...

Lonewolf 1
05-08-2009, 01:40 AM
I'm in DFW and I would consider myself alittle V expert! I wouldn't mind going with you to check some V's out! I also am in the market for a V...

What are you looking for? Considering a sale for my 05V with the Corsa/LPE intake....near Ft. Hood/Killeen...70K miles, 3M semi-metallic window tint ($350), UUC shifter uninstalled, extra set of semi-matte black widened stock wheels w/ tires (295 DR's on rear, 255s up front)

adanieljohnson1
05-08-2009, 11:56 AM
What are you looking for? Considering a sale for my 05V with the Corsa/LPE intake....near Ft. Hood/Killeen...70K miles, 3M semi-metallic window tint ($350), UUC shifter uninstalled, extra set of semi-matte black widened stock wheels w/ tires (295 DR's on rear, 255s up front)

What would you sell the UUC shifter for?

TopV
05-08-2009, 12:52 PM
if he sells the shifter, what's the next buyer gonna do, row through the gears with
a skittlybop?

oops uninstalled...

yeah, whatcha wanna sell the shifter for?

aj needs an improved v trigger.

also, what do you want for the wider wheels?

adanieljohnson1
05-08-2009, 03:00 PM
bump for price?