Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 08:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP exhaust

Hey guys,
I have a 2000 SLP SS with the Slp exhuast w/ dual/dual tips from the factory. What exhaust is this? Its not very loud. 3 inch diamter but I saw somewhere that its pretty restrictive. Any input? Im putting headers on soon, pacesetter long tubes and catted-y, should I also replace this SLP catback at some point?
thanks
Old 05-06-2009, 08:28 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have a custom Y, or one with a smooth merge made, then do what ever catback sounds best to you. I have pacesetters, ORY, and what used to be an LM1 setup to dual tips. Then it got changed to a Dynomax Bullet, now I'm just running straight pipe in it's place. Souds mean as hell as well, the Harley guys never now what hit em'!
Old 05-06-2009, 12:12 PM
Launching!

I use to have that exhaust on my other camaro, not loud at all. My camaro now I went with the gmmg exhaust and what a difference. Pretty soon Im going to be doing headers and a catted Y, it also depends how loud you want it depending on catback you want.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe I've read on here that the SLP Dual/Dual Muffler is actually a good flowing muffler. As you said, its just really quiet. I've heard sound clips of Longtubes, ORY, & this Catback, and the LT's and Y really wake it up. Here is a youtube video of this exact setup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_b8P...eature=related
Old 05-06-2009, 12:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same SLP exaust have on my '00 Z28 with the dual/dual tips and everything. I've had it the way it came stock, with LTs and ORY, and with LTs and cats.

Stock: Very tame exhaust, nice tone but too quiet for me. I couldn't really hear it at idle from inside the car with the windows down

LT+ORY: Louder than a holy hell and very raspy. I ran it open headers for a couple miles to the exhaust shop, when I picked it up a couple hours later it was only a very little bit quieter.

LT+Cats: Nice medium, good tone, loud enough, and gets roudy when you go WOT.

As far as flow, the cat back runs through a straight muffler and then through a mandrel bent 3in pipe. Really simple without many curves, I don't see it restricing flow any more than any other aftermarket catback.

Last edited by Golf&GM; 05-06-2009 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i gained 1 mph and ran the same et with my cut outs over running through the slp dual/dual. the mods are in my sig. this catback flows extremly well.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you have the actual SLP dual/dual catback you should think twice before pulling it off the car. This is one of the most sought after catbacks for these cars and they are no longer in production. The reason they are so sought after is because they flow extremely well, and sound great on a modded car. I have had 3 catbacks on my car and this is the only one that sounds good with heads/cam/lt's/ory. Everything else was extremely loud and raspy (including the magnaflow). Once you go to lt's/ory the car will be much louder. Add heads/cam and it gets louder yet. If you do take it off make sure you hang on to it.