Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I know if Im having VALVE FLOAT

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 11:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default VALVE FLOAT or Tranny issue ???????

Working on a 2002 Turbo WS6, not sure about what valve springs I have. But just started having this issue a couple of months ago. I drive the car and everything seems normal, I start to accelerate and on the top of third fourth fifth and sixth I get this weird vibration feel and sound. Almost like Im looking traction, it vibrates the rear of the car, I was thinking it was an exhaust vibration, or valve float. I dont wanna start chasing parts, that gets expensive, and I live 400 miles from the nearest performance shop. Any suggestions guys. Please.

Charlie

Last edited by charlie c5; 05-07-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Charlie, if you have a good ear and quick vision you might be able to figure out if it is valve float.

Your rpm's usually 'stick' or dip momentarily. You will hear a slight pause in engine speed or slight surge.

On a dyno it is pretty obvious. A skilled mechanic might be able to detect it in the manner I described, but I would just start with the basic diagnostics to eliminate something less ominous.

Had it once myself (different setup). You do not want it.

Best of luck..

..WeathermanShawn..
Old 05-06-2009, 03:04 PM
11 Second Club

So if it is valve float then new springs would be the fix.??
Old 05-06-2009, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by charlie c5
So if it is valve float then new springs would be the fix.??
If its valve float, yes new springs will fix the problem as long as they're for your application.

Since you said it only does it 4th,5th,and 6th which is hauling ***, you sure its not a wheel thats not balanced good enough?
Old 05-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Banned

Sounds like an exhaust vibration. Is it misfiring? or does it feel like you are hitting a rev limiter?
Old 05-06-2009, 05:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You may not be feeling it in the lower gears. With the boost, there is more stress put on the valve train to control it and if you are running stock springs they are suspect. Since a dyno run would tell you right away, but you have to travel so far to run it, wondering if its a better trade-off to just replace the springs with better ones that will last longer for your application. PAC 1518's, while a bit more money, will provide better seat/over the nose values, use your existing parts and will last a very long time due to the extra surface treatments that are used on the springs.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:24 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

With a turbo car you will know for sure if it is valve float. I had a Buick GN with weak springs and at the top of first and second gear it sounded like a gun went off. It will backfire big time.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:20 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As you are increasing RPMs you should be able to tell that the power is dropping off. Instead of having a some what linear increase in power it will feel like it is not accelerating as quickly or dying off.

Originally Posted by bg-sdpc
With a turbo car you will know for sure if it is valve float. I had a Buick GN with weak springs and at the top of first and second gear it sounded like a gun went off. It will backfire big time.
That would be an extreme example with the exhaust valve spring not being able to control the valve. This causes over scavenging of the air / fuel charge from the cylinder and igniting it in the exhaust. I had it happen in my old 95 eclipse GST and it would sound exactly like what you are explaining.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:53 AM
11 Second Club

Alright, I took the car out last night and REALLY watched everything. The MPH, the RPMs and the boost while I was getting into it. And man now Im starting to get worried. Now it feels like the tranny is going, and its only a year old T56. Im at about 40 MPH and slowly roll into it and I cant really explain the sound, but the RPMs just sky rocket and it seems like Im free reving, the car dosnt build anymore speed when this is happing, its just crazy. Im gonna make a video and try to post it up today. This is starting to sound expensive........... But Im sure its not valve float anymore. No mis or back firing. And the power isnt falling off, the RPMs tump almost 2000 from wherever I am.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:43 AM
Teching In

It sounds to me like your clutch is slipping.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:06 PM
11 Second Club

yeah but the clutch only comes into play when Im shifting gears right.? the issue Im having is while Im already in gear,
Old 05-07-2009, 12:16 PM
Teching In

When a clutch wears out, it will start slipping while it's in gear. If you want to test for this, most clutches have some weights that help it hold harder at higher revs. If you try a pull around 2k or so RPM's and another at higher revs, it will slip more at the lower revs and should hold better at high revs. Your problem does sound very much like a slipping clutch to me. If I'm wrong, about 10 guys will call bs in the next hour or two.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:24 PM
11 Second Club

Well, Im definitly open for suggestions. Im gonna go give this a try. Ill post back here in a bit. Thanks man.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Staging Lane

Its gotta be the clutch, my buddies procharged T/A burnt up a centerforce, and when you romped on it in high gear (especially) the rpms would climb and the car would not go anywhere.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:02 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah, thats exactly what its doing. But this is a super nice expensive clutch. I NEVER get a clutch smell, and people will tell ya, Im a champ driving manuals. I wonder if a little oil didnt leak out the rear main and get on the clutch, but I guess it would do this all of the time then....????
Old 05-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Staging Lane

Well regardless, it needs to come out and be inspected, my buddies Centerforce only had 7K miles on it and he has been driving a manual transmission all his life!
Old 05-07-2009, 02:54 PM
11 Second Club

oh I agree It just sucks not knowing exactly what the problem is. I cant afford to chase parts. That gets expensive.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:11 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Charlie we have the new EHT PRC spring kit that has a good bit more pressure than the previous LS stock spring pocket valve springs. We can set you up with a set & extra shims if you want to put more pressure on the car to see what results you get. I had the standard Platinum spring start floating on me past 15psi, but it depends a lot on the combo as well as the boost.
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 05-07-2009, 03:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by charlie c5
Yeah, thats exactly what its doing. But this is a super nice expensive clutch. I NEVER get a clutch smell, and people will tell ya, Im a champ driving manuals. I wonder if a little oil didnt leak out the rear main and get on the clutch, but I guess it would do this all of the time then....????
Had that shot happen before with only 5,000 miles on the clutch, pisses me off too. I knew I should have replaced that when I had the clutch out. Clutch is done though if that happens!!! Good luck on finding the problem, if the rpm's are sky rocketing then the clutch is gone.Prc Springs are definatley a good mod to do if worried about your valvetrain.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:14 PM
11 Second Club

Well I just took the car out. And it seems to only be doing this in 4th 5th and 6th gear. I roll into in and the rpms revs up but the car doesnt speed up, and thre is some kind of vibration when all of this is happening. And when I let off the throttle, the vibration goes away and the car acts normal again.....

Yeah new springs would be nice, but I dont like chasing parts. I need to address and fix the current issue.

Quick Reply: How do I know if Im having VALVE FLOAT