General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

early oil change (before the oil change light appears)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 02:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default early oil change (before the oil change light appears)

I'm doing work on my car, and while it's on jack stands I'd like to change the oil. The oil change light hasn't come on yet, but it should appear soon, it's been a while since the last oil change.

I know how to reset the oil change light, but I'm not sure if this procedure is appropriate BEFORE the oil change light has come up??? How can I inform the computer that I'm changing the oil now?
Old 05-06-2009, 02:54 PM
Launching!

i change the oil every 2,000 miles
by that time the oil shows dirty.

the sensor in my car is mess up even if i have new oil, it shows up.
just make sure you know wen its due the next oil change.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no problem with changing the oil out alot earlier. just change the oil and just reset it again. put the key ignition turn to on, and hold down the trip/odometer reset button until oil chang light flashes then your good to go.

i always change my oil every 4k miles with castrol syntec. but my oil was sitting in my car for a long, long time cause i rarely ever drive it. i just changed it, and will probably change it at 2k for the next one.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by mindreaper
I'm doing work on my car, and while it's on jack stands I'd like to change the oil. The oil change light hasn't come on yet, but it should appear soon, it's been a while since the last oil change.

I know how to reset the oil change light, but I'm not sure if this procedure is appropriate BEFORE the oil change light has come up??? How can I inform the computer that I'm changing the oil now?
Wow, both my cars have this deleted, and it's been a while,

but I think all you need to do is turn the ignition on and press and hold the trip reset button on your instrument gauge panel until the oil change light appears, blinks a few times, then goes away. IIRC

EDIT: Ooops, TXZ28 beat me to it while I was typing.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:40 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Do it. If more people changed their oil every 3,000, or less, peoples engines would last alot longer.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Changing oil often is not necessarily best for your engine. Some test for Mobil 1 have shown there is a not benefit in changing the oil before it reaches 5,000 miles as it actually is getting a better at protecting the motor at the 5k mark.
Beware of looking at your oil and b/c you see it darker that it's time to change it, if you are using a detergent oil which you should, than the small particles are getting suspended in the oil instead of the being deposited on the internal parts. Changing oil before it's saturated is the key, usually around 7,000 mark good time to change. USA is the only country where advertising for changing oil every 3k miles is pushed...it's not always necessary. Couple of cars I know that have a timing chain that uses hydraulic pressure to work the tensioners need often changes as they are senstive to particles in the oil. If you plan on keeping your car for awhile oil analysis every so often until you find the right interval to get it changed, but don't exceed manufacturers recommendations.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by maxgee
Changing oil often is not necessarily best for your engine. Some test for Mobil 1 have shown there is a not benefit in changing the oil before it reaches 5,000 miles as it actually is getting a better at protecting the motor at the 5k mark.
Beware of looking at your oil and b/c you see it darker that it's time to change it, if you are using a detergent oil which you should, than the small particles are getting suspended in the oil instead of the being deposited on the internal parts. Changing oil before it's saturated is the key, usually around 7,000 mark good time to change. USA is the only country where advertising for changing oil every 3k miles is pushed...it's not always necessary. Couple of cars I know that have a timing chain that uses hydraulic pressure to work the tensioners need often changes as they are senstive to particles in the oil. If you plan on keeping your car for awhile oil analysis every so often until you find the right interval to get it changed, but don't exceed manufacturers recommendations.

yeah ive read up on a few threads where some members actually change there oil every 5,000 miles or so. it will get expensive to keep changing oil every 2-3,000 miles. my thing was my oil sat in my car for a very long time cuz i rarely driven it. maybe longer than 8 months.. cuz i was trying to change it every 4k. but since it was sitting there for that long, and i just changed it, ill change it at 2,000 miles. then maybe back to every 4k.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:54 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by maxgee
It is for our engines, and any regular ole' V8 engine made in this country. Our engines, GM, FORD, Chrysler are about as basic as engines can get, there is nothing special about our engines. Exotics and foriegn stuff, different story maybe.

I'm enjoying my 116,000 mile 427ci fully built LS6. I don't know anyone else that has as many miles as I have on a purpose built race engine, daily driven too....and still have a 100% perfectly running engine like day one.

Regular oil, no bullshit synthetic, 20w50...changes every 3,000 miles or so. Purolator or AC Delco filters.

Proof is in the pudding. To each his own.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:05 PM
TECH Resident

That light comes on every 5,000 miles. Change your oil whenever you want, shouldn't hurt anything.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks to you all for your replies and interesting comments!
Old 05-06-2009, 09:18 PM
Launching!

I change mine every 1500 or so miles. That is also once a year.

I change my 02 BMW 325 oil every 7500 miles using BMW 5/30 oil. recommended every 15,525 miles.

My 94 and 01 sonoma every 5-7 depending on when I get time. My 01 has 210k+ and the 94 have a very hard 145k on it.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:49 PM
Launching!

Thanks to you all for your replies and interesting comments!

oh n mobile one is not fully synthetic, like mentioned above
reading sum analysis shows that is better to use other brands as Pennzoil platinum, German castrol or royal purple.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 01WS6er
I change mine every 1500 or so miles. That is also once a year.

I change my 02 BMW 325 oil every 7500 miles using BMW 5/30 oil. recommended every 15,525 miles.

My 94 and 01 sonoma every 5-7 depending on when I get time. My 01 has 210k+ and the 94 have a very hard 145k on it.

yeah man, my buddy has a mercedes benz and i think the dealership told him to do an oil change once a year or something.!! i couldnt believe it

but yeah i try to change my oil every 4k miles. my oil in my car sat for a long time as i rarely ever drive it. probably around 8-9 months maybe if that. changed it and my oil pressure is still good and everything.

Quick Reply: early oil change (before the oil change light appears)