LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Thoughts on this rotating assy.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 05:51 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on this rotating assy.

Have a budget build in progress and looking for a OEM replacement rotating assy. to swap in. Any thoughts on this Eagle package?

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...3&autoview=sku
Old 05-06-2009, 06:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceBufferTA
Have a budget build in progress and looking for a OEM replacement rotating assy. to swap in. Any thoughts on this Eagle package?

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...3&autoview=sku
What is your power goal?

If you are on a budget, why not use the stock crank (good to like 1000hp), recondition the rods, and get some hypereutectic pistons or some forged aluminum pistons if you plan to spray.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
What is your power goal?

If you are on a budget, why not use the stock crank (good to like 1000hp), recondition the rods, and get some hypereutectic pistons or some forged aluminum pistons if you plan to spray.
Idk about that, but I would take the stock crank over an Eagle cast any day of the week. The stock rods are also nice pieces, and the ones in the kit are only 5140, not 4340 so they won't be much if any stronger. They also have 2 valve reliefs so the compression ratio will be higher which can either be a good or bad thing depending on your goals.

In the end you are going to end up with a rotating assembly that is less in quality than the stocker and will weigh more too b/c the LT1 come with light weight Mahle pistons which I also prefer to SpeedPros any day of the week.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just get some nice pistons and ARP fasteners. I've never heard of a stock rod or crank breaking on a big effort N/A build. Lots overspend in this area - myself included.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:04 PM
Launching!

Goals, really haven't set any goals at this point...at some point I would like to be in the 400rwh range and Possibly a head/cam swap at some point when I can afford it. Would love to have a LE2 package or AI 200cc set up. So if this kit is no better the the stock or even weaker the stock "the crankshaft mainly" what OEM replacement pistons and rods would you recommend? My stock crankshaft is actually in great condition.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Goals, really haven't set any goals at this point...at some point I would like to be in the 400rwh range and Possibly a head/cam swap at some point when I can afford it. Would love to have a LE2 package or AI 200cc set up. So if this kit is no better the the stock or even weaker the stock "the crankshaft mainly" what OEM replacement pistons and rods would you recommend? My stock crankshaft is actually in great condition.
Take your block to a machine shop to access the condition of all of your parts.
Get the block bored, honed, align honed, magnafluxed, and heat tanked.
Cut/polish the crank.
Recondition the rods, use ARP rod bolts
Get some Mahle hypereutectic pistons or forged aluminum pistons
Get quality bearings and piston rings.
You can reuse your stock pump (assuming oil pressure is still strong), install a GM white springs.

You should have a nice 355 that can handle a LE/Ai heads & cam package no problem.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:12 PM
TECH Regular

I can get you a site for the Mahle pistons, but if you even think you'll run N20 in the future go forged now. Also is something wrong with your stock rods? If not you can have them reconditioned and ARP bolts installed and they'll be fine.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR
Just get some nice pistons and ARP fasteners. I've never heard of a stock rod or crank breaking on a big effort N/A build. Lots overspend in this area - myself included.
Lots of guys do like the OP wants to and buy a bunch of crap that is weaker than stock too.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:29 PM
Launching!

Take your block to a machine shop to access the condition of all of your parts.
Get the block bored, honed, align honed, magnafluxed, and heat tanked.
Cut/polish the crank.
Recondition the rods, use ARP rod bolts
Get some Mahle hypereutectic pistons or forged aluminum pistons
Get quality bearings and piston rings.
You can reuse your stock pump (assuming oil pressure is still strong), install a GM white springs.

You should have a nice 355 that can handle a LE/Ai heads & cam package no problem.
Yeah that's all well and good but that also cost a lot more money. Plenty of guys on here run H/C set ups on the stock bottom end with no problems. I am ONLY looking for some OEM replacement pistons, main bearings, cam bearings etc.. My crankshaft is in good shape, the rods are fine too 'I just figured if there was another OEM replacement that was a little better then I would spend the extra cash and get some.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:33 PM
11 Second Club

check out summits rebuild kit. the price aint to bad.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah that's all well and good but that also cost a lot more money. Plenty of guys on here run H/C set ups on the stock bottom end with no problems. I am ONLY looking for some OEM replacement pistons, main bearings, cam bearings etc.. My crankshaft is in good shape, the rods are fine too 'I just figured if there was another OEM replacement that was a little better then I would spend the extra cash and get some.
You cannot just replace your bearings and throw it all back together. You NEED to get the block aligned honed, the rods reconditioned, and the crank polished.
Once you are there, you might as well replace the piston rings, to do that you NEED a hone on the cylinder walls. See where I'm going with this.
What makes you think you need a replacement rotating assembly or a rebuild anyway?
Old 05-06-2009, 07:43 PM
11 Second Club

Most cheap pistons are going to be heavy with thick parasitic rings that will wear the bore more. Good pistons will cost most of what that kit costs.

When replacing pistons you need to have it rebalanced $160 minimum.

If you do any machining to anything new rod bolts would be a good idea especiallty if putting in heavier pistons, again $160 minimum on that too.

Basically if you want to replace pistons but a $600 set of Mahle(good pistons not cheap heavy crappy ring stuff) then spend at least $320 rebuilding the rods and rebalancing, can easily cost more depending on labor rate or what it takes to balance.

The stock assembly id pretty good and it is not cheap to improve upon.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:02 PM
Launching!

You cannot just replace your bearings and throw it all back together. You NEED to get the block aligned honed, the rods reconditioned, and the crank polished.
Once you are there, you might as well replace the piston rings, to do that you NEED a hone on the cylinder walls. See where I'm going with this.
What makes you think you need a replacement rotating assembly or a rebuild anyway?
The reason for the rebuild is because I found a bottom end block w/ 38k and I have no motor in my current car. Just a shell.
Maybe I should have specified that I realize this needs to be done and the guy helping is going to take care of all this.

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Most cheap pistons are going to be heavy with thick parasitic rings that will wear the bore more. Good pistons will cost most of what that kit costs.

If you do any machining to anything new rod bolts would be a good idea especiallty if putting in heavier pistons, again $160 minimum on that too.

Basically if you want to replace pistons but a $600 set of Mahle(good pistons not cheap heavy crappy ring stuff) then spend at least $320 rebuilding the rods and rebalancing, can easily cost more depending on labor rate or what it takes to balance.

So you are telling me GM or another aftermarket company doesn't make a direct fit piston that's more or less the same quality that came in the car?
Old 05-06-2009, 08:27 PM
11 Second Club

What is "a bottom end block w/ 38k"
Does that mean just a block and you need rotating parts??

There are parts out there, but they are not a cheap POS kit like what you listed.

If you want a basically stock motor buy a stock motor.

The kit you are looking at has several pieces that are weaker than stock some that are no better, I would put money on it making LESS power than a junkyard shortblock.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:55 PM
TECH Junkie

thats what i did. so far im Very happy. cost wasnt impossibly high. that and i know i have good parts
Old 05-06-2009, 09:21 PM
11 Second Club

so you think the speed pro forged pistons are no better than stock.. im fixen to rebuilt my motor as well and trying to get as much info b4 i do. thanks
Old 05-06-2009, 09:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

no reason to replace the stock crank unless it's damaged beyond repair or going with a longer stroke

one of those LT1 crate motors isn't much more than that eagle kit
Old 05-06-2009, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

IMO if you are going to shell the cash to buy new rod bolts and resize the rods, it would be a better idea to shell the extra cash and replace the rods. as far as pistons go, many people knock on speed pro pistons, but i have seen some VERY fast cars run gobs of nitrous to them and they live for a long time (not saying they are light, nor would i personally run them). to the OP, i would personally buy a decent set of pistons (Mahle, SRP) and buy a decent set of rods, reuse the stock crank and do a full machine job on the motor. don't skimp by, i PROMISE you will regret it in the long run. if you are looking into a 200cc top end, you want to be able to spin that motor to where it shines and not second guess your bottom end
Old 05-06-2009, 10:10 PM
Banned

Rebuilding can be a headache huh...lol
Old 05-06-2009, 10:17 PM
Launching!

What is "a bottom end block w/ 38k"
Does that mean just a block and you need rotating parts??

There are parts out there, but they are not a cheap POS kit like what you listed.

If you want a basically stock motor buy a stock motor.

The kit you are looking at has several pieces that are weaker than stock some that are no better, I would put money on it making LESS power than a junkyard shortblock.
Yes, just the block and needing rotating parts. So lets get something cleared up now...I am no longer looking into the Eagle brand anymore. Not since you all have said how big of a pile of **** it is.

Originally Posted by myltwon
no reason to replace the stock crank unless it's damaged beyond repair or going with a longer stroke

one of those LT1 crate motors isn't much more than that eagle kit
Going to use the stock crank and a LT1 crate motor is actually a lot more then that $650 kit. Try another $1000 + from what I have seen for a new crate motor.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on this rotating assy.