Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust fabrication question

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Exhaust fabrication question

First of all, I would like to say I have searched and researched upon the topic of true duals.. which has landed me upon the final question.. to make my own true dual set up or to just buy a kit and throw it on.

Anyhow, The car is an 02 SS.
I'm preparing to do a longtube header swap with true dual exhaust dumped before the axle and I already have two pieces of 10ft. 3" pipe so my question is where would be the best place for me to buy an x pipe? I have been looking on JEGS but I'm not really sure of how I would need the inlets and outlets on the x pipe angled. Also, would I be better off to buy a kit with mandrel bent corners and such.. or would it flow relatively the same to just do it all myself with a pipe bender? And the last option of course, should I just say to hell with it and buy the kit from TSP??

Also, the options are limited to doing the exhaust myself or buying a kit because I really don't trust a exhaust shop within a 50 mile radius of my location. They seem to have a hard time with the simplest of jobs.. such as welding exhaust pipe, etc..

Thanks guys
Old 05-06-2009, 09:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

i have made two systems using summits X pipe kit and it has worked out fine. i tuck my mufflers close so they stay in the drive tunnel and modify the torque arm to give clearance.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:39 PM
Teching In

nice! i'm gonna do my own. just as long as you take your time and practice with some scrap pipe you will b ok. what kinda mufflers are you running?
Old 05-07-2009, 07:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you have the time and the skills I would do it yourself.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

in that picture those are summit brand bullets, 3 inch in, 3 inch out, from a buddy's car. my exhaust has dynamax 3 inch in, 3 inch out and the exhaust looks almost identical.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:11 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll get way better ground clearance doing it yourself if you've got a welder and a little know-how. If you're using bullet mufflers it's easy to get lots of clearance with duals.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

a sound clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CATYjAZ7pqg
Old 05-07-2009, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

That i'm not too sure about.. I've been all over ls1sounds.com but I just wish I could listen to come cars in person.. but in my area.. everyone that has an ls1.. is completely stock.. not into performance.. sucks to live in a rural area

but i'd say as far as my choice.. I will ask you guys your opinions upon it.. anything is better than the stock setup with the stock muffler chopped and a flowmaster in it..

Of course, LT + TDS is going to be loud.. but i'm sure they're is a couple of mufflers out there that stand out to you guys.. i'm up for opinions on that choice. What do you guys say?

Originally Posted by brock's T/A
nice! i'm gonna do my own. just as long as you take your time and practice with some scrap pipe you will b ok. what kinda mufflers are you running?
Old 05-07-2009, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

I appreciate all of the input guys.. You all definately save me a lot of headache under that car playing the trial and error game.. but I guess if it was easy.. I probably wouldn't love working on it so much..

I see that the best option for me is to buy an x pipe or x pipe kit and fab it all up myself.. I just bought a hobart welder and i've been waiting to try it out.

Now that the decision is made upon the rest of the system.. which headers?? From my understanding.. the difference in all these headers is quality and finish.. not performance.. When I first decided to do a LT swap.. I was set on getting a set of ceramic coated pacesetters.. to save some cash.. but after debating upon it for a while.. i'm thinking more toward the stainless steel option.. LPP actually.. any input upon them?

Thanks a million guys.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

go with the stainless ebay headers. they are super cheap and a copy of a big name header. save some dough.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Teching In

Default consider the Hedman Tork-Steps 1 5/8" and 1-3/4" tubes

if you really want the best of both worlds at the lowest price you should seriously consider the Hedman Tork-Step series hedders which have a 1 5/8" diameter primary tube that steps up to a larger 1 3/4" with a 3" colletor.
The regular plain painted black kit is part# 68534 is about $250 or less
The HTC cearamic coated kit is part# 66534 are about $500 or less.
These headers are made in Whittier, CA U.S.A!!
Beware of those cheap knock-offs from CHINA or others of substandard quality!!