Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

My car went under the knife today...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default My car went under the knife today...

Thought I would share some pictures of my engine swap.

Car is getting a CMS built shortblock using a stock crank with forged rods and pistons and a larger cam. Im also going to be installing the koni struts I have for the front, racetronix pump and hotwire kit ive had sitting around for 6 months, fixing a new breather on the 9", maybe running some of the nitrous lines, and if I have time ill make a home-made driveshaft loop since none I have tried work for my setup. Needless to say I have a little work ahead of me.

Got the car on stands last light and drained the coolant.

Brake lines disconnected, wiring harness datatched from car pretty much ready to pull out.

Empty engine bay

Engine, trans, front suspension all out

Dropped the heads off at CMS today to be milled for a nice 11:1 compression. They found an issue with the main studs and the block ended up having to be line bored again, I was hoping to have it back sooner but its more important to me that its done right so its looking like Friday that the block and heads will be ready.

Ill keep pictures comin for those of you who have never pulled an engine from the bottom. Its actually pretty easy, I prefer to pull the compressor off of the engine and hang it from the chassis with some zip ties to avoid having to recover and recharge the a/c.It also helps that I have a small crane mounted to my work truck at my disposal, not quite a lift but it works.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Makin some good progress. I bet you cant wait to get it all done and running.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fifedogg
Makin some good progress. I bet you cant wait to get it all done and running.
You know it...Im really excited to have the new motor in and all but I hate having to drive my old beater truck. At least I got it out quicker this time, took about 4 hours total, first time I took it out it took almost 8.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck on the build get a lot of pics! And yes dropping the whole front suspension with the motor is veryyy easy especially with a 4 point lift. Is this gonna be a dd after or a weekend cruiser?
Old 05-06-2009, 09:58 PM
Staging Lane

its off topic...i dont really care for red cars...but your TA is gorgeous. cant wait to hear how it does finished.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 383lt1impala
Good luck on the build get a lot of pics! And yes dropping the whole front suspension with the motor is veryyy easy especially with a 4 point lift. Is this gonna be a dd after or a weekend cruiser?
Its really my dd but its getting more crazy. Soon ill be putting a cage in it and when that goes in ill probably take the back seat out.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LtTransAm91
its off topic...i dont really care for red cars...but your TA is gorgeous. cant wait to hear how it does finished.
Hey thanks alot I really appreciate it.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:29 PM
TECH Addict

damn it amazes me how some of you guys can do engine swaps like that... on jack stands nonetheless, well done
Old 05-06-2009, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hlaalu
damn it amazes me how some of you guys can do engine swaps like that... on jack stands nonetheless, well done
Haha, thanks. Ill admit im probably a but better off than the average guy tackling his own engine swap. Im a heavy equip mechanic so ive got a ton of tools and just happen to have a truck mounted crane that can dead lift 10k lbs, that and my dad and I used to work on our cars all the time so we have most of the little toys that make this stuff easier.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A writeup would be great! I got an idea, but I'm gonna be putting an LS3 in my car sooner then later, and would prefer to avoid renting a lift and dealing with the pressure of having to spend money on a lift...
Old 05-06-2009, 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MrElectric03
Haha, thanks. Ill admit im probably a but better off than the average guy tackling his own engine swap. Im a heavy equip mechanic so ive got a ton of tools and just happen to have a truck mounted crane that can dead lift 10k lbs, that and my dad and I used to work on our cars all the time so we have most of the little toys that make this stuff easier.
that's tight. things are 100x easier with the right tools.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:39 PM
11 Second Club

Awesome bro. cant wait to here the numbers and the sound of the new cam. What size is it going to be.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1 BLOWN V8
Awesome bro. cant wait to here the numbers and the sound of the new cam. What size is it going to be.
Hehehe...Ryne suggested it. Its a 235/240 .64?/.609 on a 112+4. Should have nice low end and make good power without having to rev over 7k.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z34_nut
A writeup would be great! I got an idea, but I'm gonna be putting an LS3 in my car sooner then later, and would prefer to avoid renting a lift and dealing with the pressure of having to spend money on a lift...
Well I for sure dont have the patience to make a write up but the one I used I think is from LS1howto.com or something.Its pretty good, the main thing as always is to not get in a rush and pay special attention when lifting the car off of the motor to be sure the torque arm and all the brake lines and wires dont get hung up.

A cherry picker would be good in place of a lift, its just in the positioning of everythingto be sure you can get the whole deal out with the lift holding the car up.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Its really my dd but its getting more crazy.
yea I remember when mine was a DD...
Old 05-06-2009, 11:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I for sure dont have the patience to make a write up but the one I used I think is from LS1howto.com or something.Its pretty good, the main thing as always is to not get in a rush and pay special attention when lifting the car off of the motor to be sure the torque arm and all the brake lines and wires dont get hung up.

A cherry picker would be good in place of a lift, its just in the positioning of everythingto be sure you can get the whole deal out with the lift holding the car up.

Well i was thinking of take my motor out. How about you show me instead of making a write up. seen this car in person and that car is amazing.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lilpb1
Well i was thinking of take my motor out. How about you show me instead of making a write up. seen this car in person and that car is amazing.
Thanks man, its really not that hard, if you have ever done a clutch in your car or pulled the trans if its an auto, its not much harder. a few wires here and a few pools of coolant on the driveway cause it always manages to spill somehow and it out.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
yea I remember when mine was a DD...
Lol me2!!!
Old 05-07-2009, 01:09 AM
10 Second Club

Hey R, ur doing an awesome job man !!!!!.......
Old 05-07-2009, 01:31 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thing is gonna be badassss when its done!!!

Keep up the good work man.

Quick Reply: My car went under the knife today...