Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

What are the problems with Nitto's

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What are the problems with Nitto's

Looking at picking up a set of these off WS6store.com. Nitto 555r Drag Radial. they will be used for the street and I wanted to know what issues I should look out for. Like if I should be care full with blow-out. How careful I should be in the rain. Do they launch well on the street. Will I be damaging my stock rear more (i only have 335RWHP) since they will launch harder.

Any help will be great
Old 05-06-2009, 10:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran them on DD for a couple of years, probaly one of the better drag radial for the street, hook petty good on the street. feel safe when wet as long as have tread just stay ouy of deep puddles. I ran them at 22-23 # 0n street 16-18 on track. One set last 4300 miles, one set 3200. The MT drag radial hook much better but bad if wet and wear MUCH faster, may get 1000-1500 miles on street
my .02' Johnny
Old 05-06-2009, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS SLP2
I ran them on DD for a couple of years, probaly one of the better drag radial for the street, hook petty good on the street. feel safe when wet as long as have tread just stay ouy of deep puddles. I ran them at 22-23 # 0n street 16-18 on track. One set last 4300 miles, one set 3200. The MT drag radial hook much better but bad if wet and wear MUCH faster, may get 1000-1500 miles on street
my .02' Johnny
what rules should i follow with the thread wear, does the old penny trick still apply to DR's
Old 05-06-2009, 10:41 PM
11 Second Club

look at the wear bars on the tires when they get close there are no water channels left.
the slicker they get the better they hook but less they hold on wet street
Johnny
Old 05-06-2009, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have had them in for 17k and i still got some left in them, 15 passes, and numerous burnouts on the street
Old 05-06-2009, 11:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ran them on my 99 ta and 96z. They are pretty good tires. They don't work as good at local track as et street radials but they are better than most pure street tires.
I fiind they do have to get heated up to really stick with a burnout not just driving around. They are ok in rain. Nitto has warnings on their website concerning running them under 32F .Bit worried about that as it goes below 32 F here sometimes in spring and fall when drive the car. Was thinking to try toyo drag radials as they have no cold weather warning but they have a can't repair statement on the website .So get a flat throw them out I guess.

I think might go to actual street tire for daily driving on both my cars. One thing I don't like about nittos is how they pick up every little rock very noisy and annoying sometimes.

Also at the higher power levels like much past 500rwhp I think they aren't that great.Under that they are pretty good. I don't think they hook good enough to break rear ends.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:10 AM
TECH Regular

Mine are great and when you warm em up they hook on just about anything, I have driven from colorado to cali only stopping for gas and had no problem i keep about 32psi on the street then go to about 18 at the track.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

They are a good street tire, the best DR I've seen for normal, not drag only usage. Don't expect to dead hook with a big stall & be really careful in the rain, once they get worn down.

As far as mileage goes, it just depends on how you treat them. I have over 10k out of a set of MT drag radials. (They are pretty bald now)

I'm going back to Nittos this summer, I have 15" MT radials for the track, so I don't need them on my 17s too.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:05 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by ICEMAN 31
Looking at picking up a set of these off WS6store.com. Nitto 555r Drag Radial. they will be used for the street and I wanted to know what issues I should look out for. Like if I should be care full with blow-out. How careful I should be in the rain. Do they launch well on the street. Will I be damaging my stock rear more (i only have 335RWHP) since they will launch harder.

Any help will be great
There have been no stories that I know of regarding blow outs.

With any car, you should be careful in rain, do not go ***** nilly and no racing on wet roads.

As for launching on the street, the only tire that does that is Bias ply, Compared to a stock Eagle F1, these are an improvement but do not expect to be Vin Diesel.

When a tire catches and puts a "Force" on a the driveline, it can damage the rear. Depending again on conditions of your driveline and street conditions.

I have seen stock m6 cars spitting out gears on a hard powershift. Auto cars tend to be less harsh on the 10 bolt. When it comes to spinning, it is actually a good thing for 10 bolts.

FYI I put them on my 17" ws.6 for street tires and they drive fine and I have nearly 400 rwhp.

The only time I had an issue of rain was on a 94 camaro and they were nearly bald and I hit a deluge of rain. I had to go slower.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Best street tire IMO. i have had mine for roughly 10,000 miles, probably a dozen launches on the street (4K Stall and cam = tire eater), 36 track passes - with John force burnouts mind you, and three or four "line lock tests" on the street. I have been absolutely satisfied.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:50 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by STEEPSS
Best street tire IMO. i have had mine for roughly 10,000 miles, probably a dozen launches on the street (4K Stall and cam = tire eater), 36 track passes - with John force burnouts mind you, and three or four "line lock tests" on the street. I have been absolutely satisfied.
With an automatic car, it doesnt shock the tire as much so for a Nitto some people are satisified. They do need a good burn but when you put that tire on something with a stick, it clearly shows how hard it is to keep that tire on the road. But again, Nitto is better then factory stock any day.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:08 PM
12 Second Club

the nitto dr has a softer rubber compound than regular street tires.
it also depends on the out side temp if its summer time and i get it my car and go they will hook good even when a little cold but they do need a really good burn out to hook good at the track but for the street there about the best for wear and such.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

only down side to them that no one mentioned is not to use them when the temps are below 65. they will not hook for **** and if left on there over the winter they will show nice cracks here and there by the tread blocks.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:07 AM
12 Second Club

well for that matter no summer performance tire is suposed to be used in or near freezing temps.
my car is garage kept but had stood out in 20f weather and i havent had any problems.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

you will be surprised how many people dd there cars all year round.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:24 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by 69TA
you will be surprised how many people dd there cars all year round.
I used to, or at least when it wasnt snowing. There is def a diff when the road temps go below a certain point and I get amazed when it warms up how well the tires "work" again.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

well i jus bought some 305 nitto 55r DR and i wanna throw em on but i worried il destroy my rear end. cars an M6 with jus mild bolt on soon to be lt's but i drive her hard and live in ok where temps are usually 32F and below which makes me worry about cracks so how many have you DD ur DR in harsh winters and think my rear end will hold or should wait till spring to put em on? plz all input is welcome wanting to do BFH mod tomm throw em on
Old 01-08-2010, 12:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ive had them on since october and DD my car, they are still at original tread depth
Old 01-08-2010, 12:43 PM
TECH Veteran

The nittos don't work well at all in colder temps like under 32F. They also say they can crack.I have not seen mine crack ,I dont' normally drive them under 32F. Fact don't think they should even be stored outside under 32F but I have and no visible cracking like seen on the nitto site.
Also nittos don't break rear ends even six speeds. Local guy had nittos on his 420rwhp car for many seasons no problems. 10 bolt was still working when he just converted to 12 bolt moser this last season and started running et street radials.
I ran nittos on my mildly modded 96z and on my 99TT last season both before and after had the dana 60 on the car. No problems really breaking the factory rearend. The nittos worked pretty decent on the TT but past 600rwhp or so they aren't the best.So got et street radials for serious playing on and off track and some firestone wide ovals for daily driving. Don't expect to hook the firestones but thats fine keep me out of trouble. LOL

So have no fear run the nittos and you will like them aside from following..they are noisy picking up every pebble on the road,also ditto on roofing nails,etc. They have bit more road noise than an actual street tire. They are ok in rain though and will give you maybe 15,000 miles out of them if you are reasonable with not that much track use.They will give you ok 60fts, better than a pure street tire but not near as good or consistent as
a tire like et street radial. But et street radials might go 5000 miles and are dangerous
in rain.

But if you are going to drive the car thru winter under 32f get some real snow/ice tires.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

this thread makes me happy mine will be here monday

I'm still trying to decide if I want to install them now or use a set of 60% tread toyo street tires until spring when the track opens...

I have some bald toyos on now and my stall makes first gear useless and sometimes a lot of 2nd gear