General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

fuel injectors

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 01:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question fuel injectors

alright peaple here is another one? is it a good idea to clean fuel injectors on a 2000 trans am, using fuel injector cleaner the sell at auto part. or is ther another way to do it best. thanks
Old 05-08-2009, 02:14 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by romeric
alright peaple here is another one? is it a good idea to clean fuel injectors on a 2000 trans am, using fuel injector cleaner the sell at auto part. or is ther another way to do it best. thanks
1 full can of Sea Foam into a half tank of gas. Get it at most auto parts stores. After that tank of gas you can change the fuel filter if you want to. Since your fuel pump sits in a little bucket of gas, you can assume with pretty good certainty there's no junk or crap in there otherwise it would have already clogged the filter or stopped up the fuel pump. I used to think changing the filter afterwards was a good idea, but it doesn't matter. If its been awhile since your fuel filter change, do it again after that tank of gas.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

+1 on the seafoam, search for the write up on how to use it
Old 05-08-2009, 11:12 PM
Teching In

ok how does the can look like i want to get the right one. is it called something else, or does it say seafoam on the can.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:33 PM
TECH Regular

It looks like this except in a round can http://www.seafoamsales.com/motor-treatment/index.html
Old 05-09-2009, 12:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by romeric
ok how does the can look like i want to get the right one. is it called something else, or does it say seafoam on the can.
Its at the link below. The one that is a liquid with the white cap. Not the spray can. Pour the entire can into half tank of gas.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-your-car.html
Old 05-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seriously putting seafoam in your crankcase and actually driving the car is about the crasiest thing you can do. You will damage the bearings!
Old 05-10-2009, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99RTA
Seriously putting seafoam in your crankcase and actually driving the car is about the crasiest thing you can do. You will damage the bearings!
How so?
Old 05-10-2009, 11:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by loyolacub68
How so?
It won't hurt it if you just put a little in there and drive around for a day before the next oil change. If you want to clean your crankcase a much better way.....buy two cans of motor flush and the next oil change, drain the old oil down so only 2 quarts remain. Add the two cans of flush, let it idle for 10 minutes, then drain it all out. Thats a good cleaning of the crankcase. Put the new oil/filter in and your done.

I do that at every oil change.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I believe there are many different ways to clean a motor out. But I don't think using seafoam is bad for your bearings, being that the product is 100% petroleum. And I believe in the write up, he mentions that you should not drive around very far with the seafoam in there.

Originally Posted by LS6427
It won't hurt it if you just put a little in there and drive around for a day before the next oil change. If you want to clean your crankcase a much better way.....buy two cans of motor flush and the next oil change, drain the old oil down so only 2 quarts remain. Add the two cans of flush, let it idle for 10 minutes, then drain it all out. Thats a good cleaning of the crankcase. Put the new oil/filter in and your done.

I do that at every oil change.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by loyolacub68
I believe there are many different ways to clean a motor out. But I don't think using seafoam is bad for your bearings, being that the product is 100% petroleum. And I believe in the write up, he mentions that you should not drive around very far with the seafoam in there.
I like the cans of motor flush better, you can put alot more in there for just the 5-10 minutes at idle and it gets totally cleaned out. I'd rather not have high oil pressures with any chemical running around with my oil. I think the problems start with those chemicals being pushed into/against the gaskets.

Even the motor flush I use says, "do not rev the engine, just let it idle".