LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT4 or LT1

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT4 or LT1

Ok....I bought my car as is. All modding had basically already been done. My intake is the powder coated red intake (LT4) and yes it is powder coated and not just painted. Does this mean I have an LT4 or just an LT1 with an LT4 intake? I also have the 1.6 CraneCam rr's that the LT4 cam with. How can I tell which block I have?
Old 05-08-2009, 12:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by FaztFormula
Ok....I bought my car as is. All modding had basically already been done. My intake is the powder coated red intake (LT4) and yes it is powder coated and not just painted. Does this mean I have an LT4 or just an LT1 with an LT4 intake? I also have the 1.6 CraneCam rr's that the LT4 cam with. How can I tell which block I have?
You can powdercoat any intake red. don't know if the intake has a part number or not, but the LT4 intake can only be used with LT4 heads, so you could remove one of the valve covers and see what the casting number of the heads are.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:41 PM
TECH Regular

Might just have the LT4 topend kit on it, you'll have to check the #'s to see.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
You can powdercoat any intake red. don't know if the intake has a part number or not, but the LT4 intake can only be used with LT4 heads, so you could remove one of the valve covers and see what the casting number of the heads are.
No....its definately an LT4 intake.And I have AirFlow Research heads sooooo they arent even close to factory.So no casting numbers to be seen there.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:23 PM
TECH Regular

The shortblocks are near idential anyway and its not like the value of your car will increase with an LT4 shortblock b/c the 94's never came with them from the factory so it would have to be swapped in.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The LT4 intake is internally the same as the later SMALL PORT LT1 intakes.

The LT4 block is the same casting as an LT1 block. The crank is machined a little differently, as are the rods, but not substantially different pieces, like I said the difference is machining more than anything else.

That mod list makes a hell of a bench racer, probably not much in the real world though. Mod list is born of ignorance rather than any understanding of what works. I am sure it feels fast to you but you probably have no baseline to compare too.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:55 AM
Teching In

The bottom of the pistons are stamped LT4. If you ever have to pull your oil pan.......I'm jus sayin.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

The LT4 is not that much of difference actually waste of money if u saw what if any gains are. I have an LT4 intake and it actually hurt me down low but picked up up top I should have just ported the stocker.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:36 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BADMOON
The LT4 is not that much of difference actually waste of money if u saw what if any gains are. I have an LT4 intake and it actually hurt me down low but picked up up top I should have just ported the stocker.

Again I do not know why people choose to ignore this data but the LT4 intake is internally the same as the later LT1.

As this pic from GIZMO shows, the difference is extra material above the port.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k5...1/DCP_1456.jpg
Old 05-09-2009, 03:27 PM
TECH Regular

Here's a listing of the differences:

http://www.grandsportregistry.com/lt1vslt4.htm

Jake

West Point ROCKS!
Old 05-10-2009, 09:19 AM
11 Second Club

There is a lot od confusion on the LT4 ports. People hear "raised port" and think it is relocated. That is WRONG, the floor is in the same place, the roof is raised, hell as cast they are 25cc bigger in the intake port, hole has to be bigger.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:53 AM
TECH Veteran

stock intake part number 12552137

lt4 intake 12550630

so you can see its a different part number just by looking at the intake, but you will never know what cam is actually down below...you can only go by what the seller told you which sometimes is a crock of ****....
Old 05-10-2009, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
The LT4 intake is internally the same as the later SMALL PORT LT1 intakes.

The LT4 block is the same casting as an LT1 block. The crank is machined a little differently, as are the rods, but not substantially different pieces, like I said the difference is machining more than anything else.

That mod list makes a hell of a bench racer, probably not much in the real world though. Mod list is born of ignorance rather than any understanding of what works. I am sure it feels fast to you but you probably have no baseline to compare too.
My mod list is born of ignorance? So what exactly does that mean? I have no understanding of my car and the modifications done to it? The previous owner said with slicks and a 100 shot it ran low 11's high 10's. That sounds pretty quick to me.Even in the "REAL WORLD". I have yet to run the car on the track because I only had it for 3 weeks until I tore the motor down.There was a lot of blow by coming through the #6 cylinder and my motor guy told me the walls were pretty scarred. So im actually in the process of having it rebuilt right now. (30 over,new pistons, new rings, new bearings, new roller cam/lifter set, new freeze plugs, all new gaskets and seals. So yea I know its pretty fast.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the motor is out just look at the caps, LT4 has a 4bolt.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:24 PM
TECH Regular

This line is not helpful and could easily have been omitted without compromising the helpfulness of the response. I guarantee that all this comment did was anger the OP and make anything you had to say become almost instantly ignored.

My mod list is born of ignorance? So what exactly does that mean? I have no understanding of my car and the modifications done to it? The previous owner said with slicks and a 100 shot it ran low 11's high 10's. That sounds pretty quick to me.Even in the "REAL WORLD". I have yet to run the car on the track because I only had it for 3 weeks until I tore the motor down.There was a lot of blow by coming through the #6 cylinder and my motor guy told me the walls were pretty scarred. So im actually in the process of having it rebuilt right now. (30 over,new pistons, new rings, new bearings, new roller cam/lifter set, new freeze plugs, all new gaskets and seals. So yea I know its pretty fast.
To get back on topic, don't let message board typing get you too upset. The quickness of your car was not the question here, just whether or not it was an LT1 or LT4...that in mind, just take the relevant responses and use them. Even if capricemgr pissed you off with his comment, he generally knows his stuff from what I have gathered and I would only take the info. he gave you regarding the LT4 setup and just let the other stuff go. Not to mention, there are a few other useful posts here that should help you identify what setup you have.

Sorry guys, just trying to be peacekeeper here. There is no reason for this thread to blow up into a flame fest.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:58 PM

Thanks guys for all your responses.Much appreciated
Old 05-10-2009, 07:12 PM
11 Second Club

I am saying the choice in mods the previous owner made is not great. Car should have been faster for less money.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:33 PM

I am saying the choice in mods the previous owner made is not great. Car should have been faster for less money.
You say the car could be faster for less money....how do you know how much money the guy spent on the car and what would you have recommended him to do? Or me for that matter? I heard that low 11's high 10's is pretty fast for an LT1. And also keep in mind that I am in the process of putting a nice amount of money into it as we speak, so its going to be faster.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You say the car could be faster for less money....how do you know how much money the guy spent on the car and what would you have recommended him to do? Or me for that matter? I heard that low 11's high 10's is pretty fast for an LT1. And also keep in mind that I am in the process of putting a nice amount of money into it as we speak, so its going to be faster.
Dude it's not even worth arguing with Dwayne. You can listen to some of the stuff he has to say because he knows a thing or two...but don't pay attention to how he says it. His people skills aren't the best.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by za355tx
Dude it's not even worth arguing with Dwayne. You can listen to some of the stuff he has to say because he knows a thing or two...but don't pay attention to how he says it. His people skills aren't the best.
Ya I understand. Im finding that out the hard way I guess.

Quick Reply: LT4 or LT1