Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 donor to _???__

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C5 donor to _???__

I wrecked my vette and after a 3hr inspection by the body shop the insurance company totalled the car. Got the check, bought the car, and the body shop is examining the frame for damage after the fact. Now I'm thinking even if the frame is straight and I replace some body panels the car will have a salvage title.

Anyways, now I'm thinking of putting the drivetrain and suspension under something else. I looked at the GTM and after buying the $20K kit and with a donor car it would take another $20K to finish it up - too expensive and not a daily driver. There are some kits to make the C5 look like a C2, but those look like crap.

I do recall seeing some '55 chevy frames that used a Corvette suspension. I also recall seeing some 1st gen Camaros that had Corvette suspensions. The C5 Vette has a 104.5" wheelbase, a 1969 Camaro has a 108" wheelbase, so does a 1971 Cuda. So now I'm thinking, '60s body with modern anti-lock brakes and traction control, electronic ignition and fuel injection. I'm thinking that would make a nice daily driver. Plus the way those '60s cars keep their value, much better investment than a late model replacement.

Are there any pointers to C5 modern drivetrain conversions for early muscle cars or other collector model cars?
Old 05-08-2009, 09:12 PM
Mr. Obvious

you really need to check out pro-touring.com. nearly any 60s-70s car that MIGHT be considered muscle or performance oriented has had a c5 suspension under it. and likely brakes too. the ls1/t56 swap is extremely common and very nice might i add. you coud also use the seats in another car too. unless you find a nice car to just drop this stuff into though, protouring is expensive and a rather slippery slope, although if you do it right and with the right parts, you will be right with and passing c6s on a road course
Old 05-08-2009, 11:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, checking out the site now.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ah, found one C5 suspension 1971 'Cuda: http://www.popularhotrodding.com/edi...uda/index.html

A C5 suspension 1970 Challenger: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/in...?topic=40229.0

Found a shop that makes custom frames for C5 drivetrains and stretches the torque tubes: http://www.sriiimotorsports.com/

Last edited by blu00rdstr; 05-09-2009 at 11:41 AM.

Quick Reply: C5 donor to _???__