General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Need some Spark Plug Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 08:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need some Spark Plug Help please!

Hey guys,

I wanted to just pull out one of the plugs today to check them. My spark plug socket wouldn't fit over it because the end of the plug would stick through where you attach the ratchet. Do I need a deeper one or something? This is my first time ever touching them on an LS1. There was something different looking on the plug (wire side) that I didn't recognize.

Also, my car has about 500 horses at the crank, do I need to gap the plugs differently? I read that for every 50/100 horspower your supposed to remove something from the factory gap specs.

Also my car is pretty heavily modded, heads, cam, fuel system modified full bolt ons all of that. Should I keep running NKG TR-55's or should I run the TR-6's? Also any recommendations on the plug wires?

Thanks guys, much appreciated.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:26 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
Hey guys,

I wanted to just pull out one of the plugs today to check them. My spark plug socket wouldn't fit over it because the end of the plug would stick through where you attach the ratchet. Do I need a deeper one or something? This is my first time ever touching them on an LS1. There was something different looking on the plug (wire side) that I didn't recognize.

Also, my car has about 500 horses at the crank, do I need to gap the plugs differently? I read that for every 50/100 horspower your supposed to remove something from the factory gap specs.

Also my car is pretty heavily modded, heads, cam, fuel system modified full bolt ons all of that. Should I keep running NKG TR-55's or should I run the TR-6's? Also any recommendations on the plug wires?

Thanks guys, much appreciated.
A regular spark plug socket should be fine. They're long enough. Did any part of the spark plug wire clip stay on the plug?

TR55 or TR5 NGK plugs are the best to use. Thsoe two are the identical same plug. Gap them to .050
.050 gap is good for a stock LSx and its good for a heavily modded LSx engine up to like 700hp. Different gaps are used for race engines, nitrous and forced induction set-ups.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like you got an el cheapo socket. yeah you'll need a deeper socket or a wrench if you wanna wrestle with it that way. But i mean even a craftsman socket is deep enough last time i tried.

What are you talking about that was different on the wire side? and of what concern is it to you (if it aint broke dont fix it, ya know)? can you post a picture so we know what you're talking about?

As for gapping I don't know where you heard that but sounds like BS. Honestly with individual coils that the LS1 has the gap could probably matter less no matter how big it is, the coil still has enough energy to jump it. Gapping plugs is really a thing of the past, or i should say a thing for cars with distributors/individual coils. Or cars with forced induction.

As for the brand of plugs its truly preferance. Some guys like NGK, some guys just hate anything thats not US, everyone seems to think champions aren't good for anything but lawn mowers and Chryslers . So pick your brand. As far as type, iridium/platinum is NOT better, contrary to popular belief. these plugs are used in all new cars because iridium/platinum is such a strong metal and resistant to corrosion, they can last an extremely long time, hence they can boast these 100,000 mi spark plug intervals, however they don't get as hot. The other side of the arguement is a copper plug doesn't last long at all, but it is a soft metal and can create a "hotter" spark. Honestly I ran autolite coppertips in my LT1 because my school of thought was they're freakin $1.20 a piece and create a hotter spark, for a $1.20 a pop i could care less if they get fouled quicker, hell i'll replace em once a year just for maintence. Versus at $12-20 a pop for an iridium you're hurting.

There's ALOT of opinion and theory, and a good amount of solid fact, but much more opinion.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW cool WS6 grille logo. Is that just art or did you really do that to your car?