Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Serious steering problems.

Old 11-02-2003, 03:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Serious steering problems.Please help

I recently purchased a 99SS with high mileage. The car was kept in excellent shape but there are a couple problems. The power steering doesn't want to work after the car warms up. On grooved streets, the car is pretty unsafe. I have to drive with both hands firmly on the wheel, just because a large enough rut in the road will yank the wheel out of my hand. Without the power assist, every rut makes it feel like there's someone else in the car just tugging at the wheel. I've replaced the pump but that didn't work. The steering is fine when the car is cold. The fluid hasn't changed color and doesn't have any strange odors. I've spoken to a few folks about this and most seem to think it's the high pressure hose coming from the pump. I'm hoping it's not the rack. What do you guys think?
Old 11-04-2003, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Grooved roads and directional tires makes for a scary ride. My power steering is working fine but the second i hit grooved pavement or a grated bridge its time to hang on. Good way to test your power steering is to try and turn the wheel with the car sitting still. If it cant be done with one hand then its not working.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are right...my car will pull a bit too if I'm in a rut. And if the rut is deep enough the wheel can turn about 90 degrees on its own. I think it's just the tires on these cars.
Old 11-05-2003, 04:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It isn't the tires. As stated, when the car gets hot, the steering gets extremely tight. It is especially hard to turn the wheel when the car is parked. I've since replaced the high pressure hose hoping that maybe it was being clogged when hot. That didn't work. Unfortunately that doesn't leave much else besides the steering rack.

Search this Thread