Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tick Master Question???

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 02:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Tick Master Question???

Just last week I installed a new spec3+ in my 00' SS. At the time I had a Ram Adj. master. ( already had the tick master on order, I was waiting on shipping). Well I got the new tick master and installed it this past saturday.
Right away I noticed the heavier pedal which I'm fine with but it seems that now my clutch grabs at the very top and theres no free play at the top of the pedal at all. I only have about 150 miles on the clutch. Is this normal of the tick master?

When I first installed the clutch the pedal grab right off the floor (Ram Master) each day I drove it, the pedal kept moving up. After about 75 miles the pedal had moved up to about half way. Now with the tick master my pedal is at the top. Is this gonna make my clutch slip if it gets any higher. It seems that evey time i drive it, it keeps getting higher. does this sound like something is wrong with the clutch?
Old 05-10-2009, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should be able to adjust the rod inward to compensate.

The Tick master pushes alot more fluid.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did I miss something? Isn't that exactly what the adjustable master cylinders do is adjust your engagement point?
Old 05-10-2009, 11:01 PM
10 Second Club

No adjustable master cylinder changes engagement point. if you shorten the rod, the clutch will still catch at the end of the pedal travel. By changing the rod lenght your changing the amount of fluid being pushed into the slave, not the engagement point

I just want to know if thats normal of the tick master?
Old 05-10-2009, 11:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Bouvs
did I miss something? Isn't that exactly what the adjustable master cylinders do is adjust your engagement point?
I thought so too...

I'm picking up my car monday with the TAMC. I'll ask Bob or whoever at EPP.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:27 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by BarneyMobile
Just last week I installed a new spec3+ in my 00' SS. At the time I had a Ram Adj. master. ( already had the tick master on order, I was waiting on shipping). Well I got the new tick master and installed it this past saturday.
Right away I noticed the heavier pedal which I'm fine with but it seems that now my clutch grabs at the very top and theres no free play at the top of the pedal at all. I only have about 150 miles on the clutch. Is this normal of the tick master?

When I first installed the clutch the pedal grab right off the floor (Ram Master) each day I drove it, the pedal kept moving up. After about 75 miles the pedal had moved up to about half way. Now with the tick master my pedal is at the top. Is this gonna make my clutch slip if it gets any higher. It seems that evey time i drive it, it keeps getting higher. does this sound like something is wrong with the clutch?
It sounds like you didn't have the system bleed properly with the ram cylinder which is why the pedal was inconsistent and moved up as time went by. Our cylinder was designed to compensate for clutches that wouldn't fully disengage (clutches that grab too close to the floor). By adjusting the amount of fluid moved via the pedals height a more complete dissengagement could be achieved.

Once you installed our cylinder with a good bleed, you have found out that the clutch is engaging right at the top. It wouldn't matter if you adjust the pedal shorter, because you will still move the same amount of fluid per amount of pedal movement.

It would seem to me that there is a problem with the slave to pressure plate clearance. Did you measure your clearance during the clutch install? You should see about an 1/8" clearance between the pp fingers with everything torqued down and the tob in a fully seated position. Theres a sticky we wrote on how to measure this. Spec provides a shim, but from what I've seen it isn't always necessary and could actually preload the tob against the pressure plate which would cause a high pedal and premature clutch slippage. To add to the problem, some new slave cylinders seem to be coming with a gm shim of some sort already installed on the back of the slave. That along with a spec shim would ceartainly be too much. Every clutch install regardless of brand should be checked for the proper clearance.

Also, if you installed the new tob on your old slave there could be a part of the old bearing left behind in the slave that acts as a shim as well.... Check your clearance and post up what you find.

Quick Reply: Tick Master Question???