Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I cant get the level of the fluid to be right.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I cant get the level of the fluid to be right.

I bought the car from dealer, they drop the pan and filter, he having trouble to get the level to hit the hot mark, I dont know what happent, but today I decise to check, I pull the dipstick out, wipe off with clean shop tower, put it back in, and pull out, I can see the red fluid around the warm mark , but then above it is kinda wet it way above the hot mark, im confuse !! im affaird he over fill it, the car shift very smooth ( it not very very smooth, i can feel it get into each gear ).
Old 05-11-2009, 12:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

english is preferred
Old 05-11-2009, 12:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

How many Qts of ATF did you put back in ? Make sure the car is running , on a level
surface , and the trans is decently warm . 5 Qts is what it takes with just a pan drop
with filter change .
Old 05-11-2009, 01:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZL1LT1
How many Qts of ATF did you put back in ? Make sure the car is running , on a level
surface , and the trans is decently warm . 5 Qts is what it takes with just a pan drop
with filter change .
I dont know how many quart, the dealer did the pan drop with filter. Should I redo it just want to be sure ? like I say I cant get it to the right level, im affraid to add more fluid cause the tranny shift very smooth.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 228 Likes on 161 Posts

did you ck it with the engine running-you have to look at both sides of the stick, sometimes the stick will lay against the tube, give a false ind. that it is higher, look at both sides of the stick, the lower side should be correct
Old 05-12-2009, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by forcd ind
did you ck it with the engine running-you have to look at both sides of the stick, sometimes the stick will lay against the tube, give a false ind. that it is higher, look at both sides of the stick, the lower side should be correct
I think the dealer is over fill it, cause the level alway seem to be over the hot mark. even at cold temperture.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Update, this morning I check the level again ( COLD ENGINE ). and it way over the hot mark, so I pump 2 quart out and it drop back down to low mark . My question is.

can I drive the car now, to get the tranny get hot, so I can check the level. even the dip stick show low level when cold.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

yes you can drive it just take it easy and dont beat on it. If I remember correctly you just have a low mark and a cross hexed area on the dipstick. If that is the case then you want to fill it until your fluid level (cold) is at the bottom of the cross hexed area. Once you have driven it and got the fluid hot, then it will expand and move into the cross hexed area.