Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Computer & Harness Question

Old 05-10-2009, 11:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Computer & Harness Question

I am planning a swap on a 98 V6 camaro to a ls1. I can get a computer at a parts store pretty cheap, does any one know how much it will cost to get it flashed at a dealer. Next if I get a harness off a ls1 will it just plug in or what will I need to do?
Old 05-11-2009, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

When you say flashed, what do you need done? All the dealer could do is to update PCM software. If you need code removed or settings changed, your gonna have to get up with someone who does PCM programing.

No...The harness will not just plug in and work. There are many differences between the V6 and V8 cars. If you don't think you can figure out the differences and make the necessary changes, I would suggest a company like Speartek to modify the harness for you. It's won't be free, but it will work first try.

Re'
Old 05-11-2009, 12:50 PM
11 Second Club

You need to find out if your parts store ECM is "blank" or programed for the VIN you require. If it is blank you will need to go to the dealership and have the VIN programed in and then get with a tuner to have the swap essentials programed. Most dealerships do not have capabilites to program off the vehicle, so you will have to install it in the car and tow it to the dealership for them to hook up to it. I suggest find a pcm off ebay or similar already programed for your vin. Besides that you will probalby need a core with your parts store unit.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:42 AM
Launching!

Yes the harness will plug into a v6 car. I have done this personally. You will need to add one circuit for the injectors. It will help if you had a 98 v8 harness but you can repin a 99 newer if that is what you have. There is no need to send it out and spend money on it.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:19 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up Harness Question

Originally Posted by ddcarter
Yes the harness will plug into a v6 car. I have done this personally. You will need to add one circuit for the injectors. It will help if you had a 98 v8 harness but you can repin a 99 newer if that is what you have. There is no need to send it out and spend money on it.
Did you have more info on the process, maybe pics if so that will help. Thanks for the help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Computer & Harness Question