Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

rear end damage, insurance says total it?

Old 05-11-2009, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rear end damage, insurance says total it?

Hey there,
I just got rearended the other weekend and Im including pics of damage. Looks like the damage to the rear qrtr pnl is what is what the big issue is as far as a repair. Can someone tell me what may be needed for a correct fix? It will be a salvage title from then on but that doesnt bother me. I need the RR taillight lens,rear hatch with tan interior piece, sail panel plastic and back seat plastic. I plan to get all the parts except the replacement qtr panel to save some cash. Any info or things to look out for would be appreciated. This car was PERFECT till he hit me. It has a 6 pt Wolfe bar and SFC that helped keep the rest of the car arrow straight.
Attached Thumbnails rear end damage, insurance says total it?-img_0450.jpg   rear end damage, insurance says total it?-img_0418.jpg   rear end damage, insurance says total it?-img_0463.jpg  
Old 05-11-2009, 09:56 AM
Launching!

open the hatch and you'll see what else you need. Rear hits are easy fixes for me since there is so little stuff back there to replace compared to a front hit. You'll need to source a new or used quarter, inner wheelhouse, taillight panel and possibly a frame rail. Look under the car and see if the left rail is buckled anywhere. Also Pull the carpet to look for damge on the floor pan all the way into the back seat area. How much are they saying to fix the car and what are the details on the car itself, miles year etc. I can the repair running in the 3000-5000 range with new parts.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:13 AM
On The Tree

the quote was between 35 and 4000. It has a brand spanking new dealer installed LS6 still warranteed for 2 yrs with less than 2,000 miles. The frame rails are laser straight, the space the spare tire goes in in fine, there is no wrinkleing of the metal anywhere under the car. I Dynomatted the car so its hard to tell from under the carpet but looking under the car the damage is contained to the qutr pnl,lens,cd player,tan plastics and the rear metal panel behind the lens's need to be pulled less than 1/2 in back into place on the corner.Ill add and interior shot right now too.
Attached Thumbnails rear end damage, insurance says total it?-img_0426.jpg   rear end damage, insurance says total it?-img_0421.jpg  
Old 05-11-2009, 10:21 AM
On The Tree

My t tops were out during the accident and they went back in like butter like they always did, they also slide right into the slots in the back where the damage is so the damage is up top from the truck hitting me. The exhaust is fine not even a scratch. I really want them to fix it but all the shops are saying they will total it. who knows. I will be talking to the other guys adjuster today, the police report finally got in and my Ins, got ahold of the offenders peeps haha.
Attached Thumbnails rear end damage, insurance says total it?-img_0429.jpg   rear end damage, insurance says total it?-img_0456.jpg  

Last edited by sic2001; 05-11-2009 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so you obviously have no experience in the automotive field correct????
and you do relaize that it needs to be pulled on a frame machine, and the rear body panle replaced, the inner and outer wheel house repaired,

so then from my guess your going to have a shop pre-pull this car, so then you can finish the repair?? have you ever replaced a rear body panel?? or repaired a wheel house?? let alone replaced a quater panle?? do you have all the materials and tools need for the job??

me personally if i saw this car come to me and boss told me "hey just pre-pull it" i would tell him nope not going to do it, becasue if something doesnt fit right your coming back to us ripping us new ******** becasue it was "pre-pulled"

you could do a buy back and have the shop fix it for what insurance company gives you , thats my opinion
Old 05-11-2009, 03:12 PM
TECH Regular

why are they totaling the car over a 4k estimate!? how many miles are on your car? My wreck two weeks ago was more expensive than that. Total repair cost was 5548, and it didn't get totaled! 01 NBM formula with 80k on the clock... and I got all NEW GM body panels too .. If I were you I would fight back on that one. Unless you have a ton of miles on the body *shrug*

Last edited by RacingTiger03; 05-11-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looked like your car was really clean! Sad to see that happen. Sorry man! I don't think it's totaled. That could be fixed.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

so far the other guys ins company has not contacted me. I am going by what the dealerships have said. The Pontiac dealer is already closed and has tumble weeds blowing across it. The guy I took it to that I have confidence in said he has to put it on the frame machine first off, then he will do the repairs once the frame is in order and he showed me how the t-top panel needs to be removed to take the qutr pnl off and replace it with a new panel. This sounded right to me from the threads I had rean and he knows the fbodyh pretty good...so much so he said wed have problems finding some parts possibly so I already have the replacement bumper to give him as well as a new pass side honeycomb tail light. So they have not actually told me its a total but I am taking a check either way for the repair and taking it to the guy I described. The dealership guy just shined me on like I was a lame and kept saying things that had nothing to do with repairing the damage.
Thanks for the help guys, I should know tomorrow for sure where they stand on the repair so Ill fill ya in then.

Last edited by sic2001; 05-12-2009 at 12:51 AM.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

My guy said he talked to the other adjuster and they accept liability, said to take it to wherever I like and get a rental. However, what I want is for him to come look at the car or send someone out weho does the estimates and just have him cut me a check for that amount (which will include rental fees and leaves an opening for any supplemental checks if my guy finds more damage than first suspected) So this all seems to be working out great as far as the ride. Not one mention of a total.
Now is the medical issues, my butt cheek goes numb (NOT from nefarious deeds either) and pain shoots to my ankle when I bend over sometimes. My x-ray showed I have pretty bad artheritis in the lower spine (from hunching over tattooing?) but never had any issues like this till now. So Im getting an attorney today to deal with thsat side of this cause its out of my element at this point.
You guys were right as usual and I appreciate the advice and help! Tech rocks!!
Old 05-13-2009, 09:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

lets barter, you finish my sleeves i fix your car
Old 05-13-2009, 10:09 AM
On The Tree

if you lived here youd have a deal! I have all the stuff except the replacement panel now. I have tools but not he pullers and stuff that this issue needs. If ya come out here let me know, we may be able to work something out for small dent removal or sumfin haha
Old 05-14-2009, 10:42 PM
TECH Regular

good to hear they didn't total yours out afterall. Liability claims are usually easy to work around, thats how mine was done. I'll be picking mine up late tomorrow or saturday
Old 05-18-2009, 08:09 AM
On The Tree

did you get yours back? Hows it look and how long did it take them to do.
New info is the other guys adjuster finally came by and he said its borderline total...wht the **** thaty means I have no idea. Had to get back to the office and do some numbers, that I understand but he said hes been doing this 20 yrs so in 20 yrs of experience he doesnt know if this car is a total? He said it looked really clean. I dont know,this thread looks like Im a retard but im only going by what Im told and it seems to be always changing. I got an attorney on Fri since Ive been having some leg and butt problems that are trippin me out. I usually just want my car fixed and leave the medical claims to the poor people who defraud the system but now I get it. Anyway, the drama continues and there is no real conclusion.To total it I should get at least 9k dont ya think? Under 100k and spotless (new LS6 doesnt even matter) 4k tops to fix the repair 4 k in the pocket. Dont know how that can be the best way to go...
Old 05-18-2009, 11:08 AM
TECH Regular

I actually won't get to pick mine up until tonight, been too busy at work. But they let me take a peak at it last night and its sick! I'll have some pics up by tomorrow lol. If they do try to total it bring up mine! insurance cut a check for exactly 5574.02. Never even mentioned anything about totaling it - 2001 formula m6 w/ 81k miles was NBM.. *wink*. I would think your WS6 would be harder to total than that as well, but there weren't as many formulas made either.. so who knows.

One last thing.. good luck finding the pass side tail light.. unless you buy a new one.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

Good deal! Thats soo cool bro! I got the tail light spotless and shiney for 150.00 shipped so that wasnt too bad. Ive been getting lucky. I just bought a NBM rear hatch with the tan interior peices I needed for 425.00 shipped right to the shop who will be doing the work. So I am 575.00 out of pocket and have a bumper hanging in my garage that is NMB and just needs a little prep and spot paint but Ill probably have them strip and paint the whole thing if its reasonable. He did my last one for 120.00 out the door..at the dealership! So hopefully I am as happy as you when all is said and done and I can get some leather seat work done with whats left over, or get my wife a Coach bag for dealing with my manic *** over all this hahah. Tech guys are the ****.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rear end damage, insurance says total it?