Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clnking noise from engine, help

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2003, 07:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry Clnking noise from engine, help

The last two times to the dragstrip, I had a loud clanking noise from the pass side head. The noise started after doing the burnout and was clanking as a set into the staging lights. The first timre this occurred, I took an easy run down the track. By the time that I got back to the pits, the noise was gone. That was about 1 month ago. I took 3 or 4 more hard runs down the track that day. No more noise.

However, Last Saturday, it happened again, this time on my second burnout. The noise persisted and I pulled my car out of line, drove to the pits, and the noise continued. I drove home slowly, and after about 5 miles or so, the noise was gone.

Was is causing this noise? Could it be a bad lifter? The noise could be a loose rocker arm.

What do you guys think?
Old 11-02-2003, 07:59 PM
TECH Regular

Have you done any work on the car preceding the noise? If so, what? Lifters sound like ticking and not clanking.. Header gasket sounds like ticking.. Man are you sure it's clanking and not ticking? Clanking sounds worse to me..
Old 11-02-2003, 08:05 PM
TECH Regular

Well, how can I best describe the noise? It sounds like a loose rocker arm, one with 0.05" too much play.

One of the key things about the noise, is that it goes away with time.

If it was a rod, the noise would not go away. I am thinking that it could be a bad lifter that looses its hydraulic pressure and then gets pumped back up.

Any thoughts?