Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Drive shaft length question

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 10:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Drive shaft length question

So, Im getting ready to buy a ford 9". A while back, I bought an extreme duty drive shaft from Spohn for a stock trans. Then, I read this thread where if you buy a 9", your shaft lenth should be 1" longer than stock or else you will get vibration.
What should i do? Should I just install the one I have and see if there's any vibration? Or should I sell this one and buy an EPP drive shaft that's supposed to be the correct lenth?
Old 05-12-2009, 04:09 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of people get by with the stock length driveshaft, you could try it first and see if you get a vibration or not at speed. Bob
Old 05-12-2009, 03:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had A stock length strange driveshaft with my 9-inch. And with drag radials
and 6000 clutch dumps with the street twin clutch I twisted the splines on the spicer yoke and the mainshaft in the trans. The yoke twisted like one full spline. The mainshaft you can't tell by looking at it but the new yoke won't go on all the way. So I recomend the right length driveshaft. I think if I had more splines engaged it may of cost me alot less money in the long run. I could have sold my strange shaft but now I need to put money into A new yoke for it to sell it.