General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Radiator Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 10:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Radiator Issues

Hey all,
Some of you may remember my post about 2 weeks ago regarding the coolant that blew out of my reservoir overflow cap due to extreme pressure in my cooling system. I have since replaced my radiator cap and thermostat (the two main culprits that would cause such a thing to happen), but my radiator has a VERY slow leak from the drain **** area (probably because something cracked under the extreme pressure). Upon visual inspection I discovered that the lower half of the passenger side of the radiator has coolant residue on it. Does anybody know of anything other than the drain **** (already checked it) that could be bad and easily replaced (I know it sounds kinda nooB of me). I will most likely need to buy a new radiator. Also, an OEM radiator appears to cost $318. I have found aftermarket units around the $130 range. Will these suffice? The install is cake I just need some advice. Thanks alot.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:12 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuffguy610
Hey all,
Some of you may remember my post about 2 weeks ago regarding the coolant that blew out of my reservoir overflow cap due to extreme pressure in my cooling system. I have since replaced my radiator cap and thermostat (the two main culprits that would cause such a thing to happen), but my radiator has a VERY slow leak from the drain **** area (probably because something cracked under the extreme pressure). Upon visual inspection I discovered that the lower half of the passenger side of the radiator has coolant residue on it. Does anybody know of anything other than the drain **** (already checked it) that could be bad and easily replaced (I know it sounds kinda nooB of me). I will most likely need to buy a new radiator. Also, an OEM radiator appears to cost $318. I have found aftermarket units around the $130 range. Will these suffice? The install is cake I just need some advice. Thanks alot.
If you don't know exactly where the crack is you should put it on a lift and make sure its not just the petcock. You can repalce it for $2.00.

If its something else where you need a new radiator, at least get the LT1 radiator. Its a 100% direct bolt in but it has 30% more cooling area. All you have to do is cap off one line on the drivers side bottom of the radiator, with a $2.00 cap and clamp.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:15 AM
TECH Regular

Hey all,
Some of you may remember my post about 2 weeks ago regarding the coolant that blew out of my reservoir overflow cap due to extreme pressure in my cooling system. .
well thats about when mine did the same thing well stuiped me after I rebuilt my motor I had put the head pipe to the overflow connector on the rad and the overflow tank conector to the head pipe plug on the rad
basictly I had switch the lines and it never really got hot here untill two weeks ago and thats when it overflowed out of my overflow tank after looking at my hose's for awhile I fig I hooked up it the wrong way and that was my whole problem, it's been runing great after that.

good luck.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:16 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks, guys. I will most likely be pulling the rad to further inspect it as soon as I get a chance. If its bad, will a generic radiator (be it LS1 style or LT1 style, whichever I decide on) be just as good as the AC Delco? I only ask because theres a $200 price difference. Any past experiences are appreciated. Thanks again.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:24 PM
Banned

Thanks, guys. I will most likely be pulling the rad to further inspect it as soon as I get a chance. If its bad, will a generic radiator (be it LS1 style or LT1 style, whichever I decide on) be just as good as the AC Delco? I only ask because theres a $200 price difference. Any past experiences are appreciated. Thanks again.
Do not buy an AC Delco. Get the radiator from here. www.rockauto.com $112.00 1997 LT1 radiator.

But also check your local auto parts stores, they might be just as cheap, or close enough wjhere you'd rather get it locally in case you have an issue with it.

Just cap off the line on the drivers side.

Get a new radiator cap too.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:33 PM
TECH Regular

LS6427, that was exactly the place I was going to buy it (and for the same price, too). I have the belief that a radiator is a radiator, it basically doesnt matter who it is made by (as long as its the same size and dimensions). Everybody says to get the LT1 style, so I will probably do that. I will also cap off the drivers side line. I have an aftermarket trans cooler so my existing trans cooler is blocked off on the passenger side as well. I already got another radiator cap (i am assuming it'll fit the LT1 radiator). Can anybody tell me if the coolant level sensor position and existance is the same on the LT1 as it is on the LS1 radiator?

Last edited by Tuffguy610; 05-12-2009 at 01:35 PM. Reason: .
Old 05-12-2009, 02:54 PM
Banned

LS6427, that was exactly the place I was going to buy it (and for the same price, too). I have the belief that a radiator is a radiator, it basically doesnt matter who it is made by (as long as its the same size and dimensions). Everybody says to get the LT1 style, so I will probably do that. I will also cap off the drivers side line. I have an aftermarket trans cooler so my existing trans cooler is blocked off on the passenger side as well. I already got another radiator cap (i am assuming it'll fit the LT1 radiator). Can anybody tell me if the coolant level sensor position and existance is the same on the LT1 as it is on the LS1 radiator?
The coolant level sesnor will snap right in.

You're gonna hook up the tranny cooler, right?
Old 05-12-2009, 08:29 PM
TECH Regular

I was just gonna leave the B&M cooler attached to the front of the A/C condenser and leave the stock cooler alone. The guy at the shop that installed it said he would not run the two coolers in series (he has built many race cars so I'll take his word for it, plus I've had the cooler on for 1.5 years with no problems). I tried to yank the radiator out tonight, but it looks like I'm gonna have to move the fans out of the way while placing emphasis on keeping the A/C lines intact.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:52 PM
Banned

I was just gonna leave the B&M cooler attached to the front of the A/C condenser and leave the stock cooler alone. The guy at the shop that installed it said he would not run the two coolers in series (he has built many race cars so I'll take his word for it, plus I've had the cooler on for 1.5 years with no problems). I tried to yank the radiator out tonight, but it looks like I'm gonna have to move the fans out of the way while placing emphasis on keeping the A/C lines intact.
Yea, I take my fans out first when removing my radiator.

Couple suggestions.

Don't attach the tranny cooler to the condensor so its touching it, thats a ton of heat going right into it and then into your radiator. That just kills that much area fo the condensor for cooling, plus the heat its adding to that area. Do it like I have mine and the hot air coming off the cooler will get mixed up with the outside cooler ram air and it won't just be a hot spot on the condensor.
Also, I run mine with the radiator for extra cooling.

Also, check out the pictures of my after market power steering cooler. See the white valve and 3/8" black hose with the clamps I attached to that extra fitting....thats what you should do to your new LT1 radiator. It allows me to easily flush the radiator by simply taking that white plug out.

Just a thought.

POWER STEERING COOLER and the plug on that fitting: