Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Hurst Shifters - Someone educate me

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 04:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hurst Shifters - Someone educate me

So I'm not trying to start a battle of which short shifter is the best, I'm just looking for some information.

I know that some 4th Gens came with a Hurst Shifter as an option - is this a short shifter? Is it the same as the Hurst short throw you can find on Summit?

Who wants to explain?
Old 05-12-2009, 11:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My car had the Hurst option from the factory. I replaced it with a Hurst Billet; there is a difference. The Billet has a shorter throw and you can adjust the 2-3 shift spring. I hope the sheds some light on the situation.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by _JB_
My car had the Hurst option from the factory. I replaced it with a Hurst Billet; there is a difference. The Billet has a shorter throw and you can adjust the 2-3 shift spring. I hope the sheds some light on the situation.
+1 for the hurst billet
Old 05-14-2009, 12:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same on mine, I ordered it with the optional Hurst shifter ($250) which I promptly replaced with a Hurst Billit plus ($195). the optional factory Hurst had a rubber piece holding the stick together to cut down on vibration. A POS.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trust me, just get the ws6store.com short throw! When I bought it it was $25 shipped, and its a lot better than the stock hurst that was on it. Just click on the sponsor ---->
Old 05-14-2009, 03:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A little clarification seems to be in order.

First, most aftermarket shifters (Hurst, Pro 5.0, B&M etc.) have a "designed" shorter throw. This means the fulcrum point is changed inside the base creating a shorter distance needed between gears.

Second, is a "short throw" shift handle. This shouldn't be confused with an aftermarket shifter. It's just a shorter handle that your **** screws onto, and some of them come with a bend to place the **** in a different location etc...

Third, combining a short throw shift handle with an aftermarket shifter will create the shortest throw. Just keep in mind this will also take more effort to move the gates between the gears. You're essentially giving up mechanical advantage for a shorter throw.

Hope that helps.

Mike
Old 05-14-2009, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by foreverzero
Trust me, just get the ws6store.com short throw! When I bought it it was $25 shipped, and its a lot better than the stock hurst that was on it. Just click on the sponsor ---->
That's just the stick. I was planning on adding that to whatever short shifter I got though.

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
A little clarification seems to be in order.

First, most aftermarket shifters (Hurst, Pro 5.0, B&M etc.) have a "designed" shorter throw. This means the fulcrum point is changed inside the base creating a shorter distance needed between gears.

Third, combining a short throw shift handle with an aftermarket shifter will create the shortest throw. Just keep in mind this will also take more effort to move the gates between the gears. You're essentially giving up mechanical advantage for a shorter throw.

Hope that helps.

Mike
That's some good information - thank you.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:28 AM
TECH Junkie

i put the factory hurst on my car to replace the shitty stock version.

i also put a Lou's Short Stick on the car.

shift distance went from about 8" of travel from 1-2, down to 3.5" of travel.

Quick Reply: Hurst Shifters - Someone educate me