Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

What drag wheel will fit without grinding??

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 05:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What drag wheel will fit without grinding??

I have been searching all day and bottom line is I just need to know a decent drag wheel that will fit on the stock setup without grinding anything or the use of a spacer. Also, what is a decently priced yet nice less expensive wheel? Thanks for taking the time guys.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bogarts are the only ones that will fit front and rear with no grinding.

Billet Specialties will fit the rear but require a MINIMAL amount of grinding on the front.

All others need grinding.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:57 PM
10 Second Club

What about the Summit and Jeg star style wheels? Thanks again.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The summit star wheels fit great, very minimal grinding
Old 05-12-2009, 06:08 PM
10 Second Club

^^^I am assuming just on the fronts?? Thanks.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The fronts 15x4 take ALOT of grinding......The rears dont
Old 05-12-2009, 06:52 PM
10 Second Club

I got ya. I am looking for a complete set with no grinding so it looks like they are out.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:33 PM
11 Second Club

you can use spacers on the front and not have to grind, but i'd advise to put in longer studs so you'll have enough thread with the spacer.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:57 AM
10 Second Club

What are the specs of the wheel you guys are running 15x4 on the fronts? What backspacing? and what size for the rear 15x10? Also what backspacing?? Thanks for the help.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:18 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As mentioned, our Bogarts front and rear can be built to be a direct fit over OEM calipers/rotors/pads.

Out of all the wheels mentioned above, ours are the only drag wheel listed. Just because a wheel is 15" in diameter, does not make it a drag wheel. (to be fair,none of them market them as drag wheels).

Drag wheels are designed and used to lower rotational mass which increases racing performance. Ours will leave you sitting with a setup that would be like removing ~75lbs extra from your car. ...and it can be built to fit over OEM LS1 or LT1 brakes/calipers/rotors.

You can purchase a Honda with OEM 15" wheels, they aren't drag wheels either. If you're looking for a street wheel that is 15" diameter that looks like a drag wheel...now you're looking in a different category. Pick your poison:-).

If you need more assistance, feel free to pick up the phone and give us a call. I'll be happy to setup what you'll need to meet your goals for your car.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DopdBrd
Bogarts are the only ones that will fit front and rear with no grinding.

Billet Specialties will fit the rear but require a MINIMAL amount of grinding on the front.

All others need grinding.
Weird. My Welds went all all four corners with no grinding.

If you're looking for a track only setup, you can't beat a Bogart wheel. They are some of the lightest wheels out there, and as mentioned Steve can build them to fit over OEM calipars with zero griding. Being that light comes with a price though. They can break or bend if you street drive them, as any drag wheel can. If you are looking for a track only setup with no grinding, they are your ticket.

If you street drive the car a lot, I'd suggest a set of Weld Racing's new R/T series wheels. There are 8 new designs out, with more coming in the near future. All of these wheels are being designed to fit over OEM stock LS1 brake Calipars. Mine fit fine with zero grinding. They were built with the street in mind, so they are not as light as a Bogart wheel. They are about on par with a Weld Prostar.

It all comes down to what you're doing with your car, and what wheel would be best for your application.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:15 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 03 BUSA
What are the specs of the wheel you guys are running 15x4 on the fronts? What backspacing? and what size for the rear 15x10? Also what backspacing?? Thanks for the help.
15x10 rears you need a 7.50" backspace.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:03 AM
Internet Mechanic

Bogart if your looking for a 10" wide rim. IF your going 8" wide a Convo Pro requires no grinding.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:57 PM
10 Second Club

I will be more specific. I am looking for a set of 15 x 10 rear and 15 x 4 front set of wheels that I can use to mount some skinnies and slicks on that will match. I say drag wheel because that is what they are designed for. I am not at the track every single day it is open so I am not looking for the top of the line wheel. Just something that will work when I decide I want to go to the track on occasion. I have borrowed a set of ccw's already and I know they went on with out any grinding.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:18 PM
11 Second Club

Are you going to be driving them on the street?
Old 05-13-2009, 07:21 PM
10 Second Club

Maybe to a car get together close by or a saturday night car show. So yes I do plan on very limited street use.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:19 PM
FormerVendor

Since you're looking for a drag wheel, stick with a drag wheel if you're interested in the benefits of a drag wheel. Choosing a wheel that is a street setup won't give you as great braking benefits, 60 ft time, lower stress on drivetrain etc etc...

If cost is your main concern, pick up a set of prostars and make them fit. They may meet your criteria of cost, but not direct fitment...This is where you need to see what suits your budget and goals best.

Cost can be an important area to consider but pay attention to what you may be giving up. In saving a few hundred dollars for something "a little" heavier", those small weight differences will add up to quite a bit in the end. A few ways to think about it, lets say you went with prostars, you're leaving about 50lbs of converted mass on your car over our Bogart wheels build to fit your car. Many people spend 500-600.00 on a k-member just to save 30 lbs ...So picking our high-end wheel which has quite a few benefits actually end up giving you quite a bit more benefits in the end.

Based on your comments, both welds new street wheels and our drag wheels may be out of your budget. They will be very comparative in pricing...actually the welds are more expensive. Both are very nice wheels. It comes down to picking your setup for what meets your goals.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 03 BUSA
Maybe to a car get together close by or a saturday night car show. So yes I do plan on very limited street use.
shawn, i think the welds will fit your car with a small spacer on the front wheel and they look decent as well. the 2 big boys here are gonna be ccws, and sjm, but they cost the most, with billet specialties not far behind but give a good 5 star look. you might give nick or bob a call, i'm almost positive the welds fit with a small spacer.

camaro 396 is right with the backspacing on the rears (15x10 rears you need a 7.50" backspace.)

without the spacer, you're probably limited to the 3 "others" posted above. personally, unless you wanna spend the money, i think you'll be fine with the spacer.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just read one of the other posts says billet specialties requires grinding also? did't know that. you could also just keep holding out for someone to sell their ccw's.

i'd venture to bet you'll never grind a caliper, so it's either ccw, sjm, or a small spacer and welds.
catch you in a day or 2
Old 05-14-2009, 06:41 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by wvaboy
just read one of the other posts says billet specialties requires grinding also? did't know that. you could also just keep holding out for someone to sell their ccw's.

i'd venture to bet you'll never grind a caliper, so it's either ccw, sjm, or a small spacer and welds.
catch you in a day or 2
I don't know which "Welds" you're refering to, but the ones in discusison here require no grinding and no spacer.

CCW, Steve's Bogarts, and our Weld wheels are the only ones I know of that make a direct fit wheel for FRONT and REAR with no OE calipar modification.

Quick Reply: What drag wheel will fit without grinding??